main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion A "bridge" film between ROTJ & TFA would have been interesting....

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by QUIGONMIKE, Sep 7, 2020.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    They are bringing Boba back for TV and are rumored to be doing the same with Mace. The Mace show can now end as any good Star Wars ought... with Boba finally... finally... catching up with an ancient Mace Windu sitting in a bar. Show it from the angle of looking up toward Mace drinking his regrets away from the pov of Boba's spurs. *end credits*

2. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I don’t think those storylines were intended to go ‘anywhere’. Jango Fett was the character who served as the clone template for the clone army. Boba Fett was simply an unaltered clone he took for his son. That’s it. Nothing more was needed. And it didn’t really get that expanded upon in TCWC.
    As for Sifo-Dyas, he was just a pawn in Sidious and Dooku’s plot to surreptitiously order a clone army. And whilst it’s interesting to see Sifo-Dyas referred to in TCWC, it’s hardly detailed or a significant plot point of TCWC, other than confirming what we already knew e.g. it was Sidious and Dooku. So again, whilst it’s interesting to see all these things mentioned in TCWC, it neither adds anything of substance, nor makes the PT demonstrably better. But as I say, that’s just my opinion.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Sifo-Dias was also a mispelled Sidious.

4. DartJackson

DartJackson Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 26, 2020
    Since Lucas included the Fetts in the plot (and not some other bounty hunter), it's reasonable to assume that Boba will come to get revenge. And that will make him that Boba Fett from OT. But in reality, the inclusion of the Fetts turned out to be more indulging in a fan base that adored Boba. And the continuation of the started line, very important, did not follow. And I'm glad they opened it in TCW. In AOTC was a clear cliffhanger that didn't come true.

Sifo-Diaz was intriguing. Everyone in the film talked about him as if the viewer already knew him (some confused him with Qui-Gon). But after the AOTS, there were no more traces.Since he's mentioned a couple of times in the film, it's like we should know him, but then he disappears.

The scene with Order 66 plays a more significant role, when all these dead Jedi for the viewer are something more than just extras without one line in the films, but occupying an important role in the series.

Anakin is better revealed as a war hero and a good person. After that you worry more about him in OT.

Dooku was a dummy in the movies. Well, that is, at first he kept some kind of intrigue, that seemed to be independent from everyone. But he ended up as a servant of Sidious. In he is more revealed as a person in his dark games behind Palpatine's back (for example, his training Savage, whom he planned to incite against Palpatine in the future). Also, he was not devoid of feelings. There are several points to show Dooku's concern for Ventres.

I love prequels, but TCW improved them for me.

5. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I think Lucas included Jango Fett simply because it was an interesting proposition to have the template for the clone army be a character with some associated iconography. It was never about Boba Fett... That fans went 'ooh its's Boba Fett... I bet he ends up killing Mace Windu' (myself included by the way), is more on the fans that presumed that, rather than Lucas, who obviously wanted to have references and callbacks to existing characters (as did we all). I don't think Lucas was obliged to further explore Boba Fett in the prequels, and it certainly (IMHO) didn't make ROTS inferior for Boba Fett not being in it. That Boba appeared in TCWC was welcome, but (again IMHO), he's a tertiary character at best, and TCWC does't do anything with the character to fundamentally change the films... not from my perspective anyway.

As fans, we scrutinise and obsess about every little aspect... and Sifo-Dias was just one of those things. For me, I always assumed it was just Sidious/Dooku that had suruptitiously ordered the clones and then killed Sifo, which is basically what happened... so Sifo-Dias' inclusion in TCWC, The Dooku novel and the Darth Plagues novel, whilst interesting, doesn't make AOTC any better or worse (IMHO). If anything, I think it over complicates his role... but hey, that's just me.

I think that's more about the character than the films they actually appear in per se. For example, (and prior to the PT) both Vader and Boba Fett appeared in a multitude of comics and books that made them appear more complex than they did in the films. Would I say that those comics made TESB, or the OT generally, better films? No I would't. I think the associated material, where we get to see more of Maul, Boba Fett, Vader etc. maintains our interest in the characters and situations depicted in the older films, but does it make the films empirically better? Not convinced... but I'm not taking anything away from your perception of TCWC. :)

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Thank you. I much prefer the early version of this where it was implied that Sidious simply posed as a Jedi and placed the order. There is even a conspicuous break in Kenobi's transmission message where the "fo" drops out to make what he says "Sy [...] dyas". I appreciate the story being fleshed out but I was perfectly fine with a hooded Sith Lord posing as a hooded Jedi.

cwustudent likes this.
  7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I absolutely never knew that. That's the same degree of lazy fake-name creation as the Joker going by Joe Kerr. Absolutely incredible. I am in love with this piece of trivia.

8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

That's Star Wars for you in a nutshell. Weird accident happens...EU fills it in and makes him a character

9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    If you like that you would have loved Padme's arch nemesis in the Senate, Senator Eve ill of Antagoniss.

10. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
  11. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Me too. I'm not sure his (Sifo-Dias) inclusion in TCWC was something conceived as a bit of fun, or whether they (Lucas) in hindsight, felt the notion of Dooku/Sidious actually ordering the clones themselves (whilst pretending to be Jedi) was too confusing (???), but I personally preferred it how it was.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well it is what it is

and GOOD storytellers rolled with it and made something out of it.

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes. That is, in fact, exactly what both of us said.

Darth PJ and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  14. DartJackson

DartJackson Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 26, 2020
    In this case, the Jedi would have been shown to be completely fools.

15. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    For not knowing that a man they didn't even know existed went to a planet they didn't even know existed and made a transaction in their name? It's actually a much simpler plot to swallow that a phantom menace they were not even aware of posed as one of them in order to orchestrate their downfall.

16. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I can't remember where I first saw this, it went something like...

" From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker....the budding Jedi Master and his juvenile nephew, Ben Solo, his friend Lando Calrissian, an old galactic Indiana Jones type, Lor San Tekka and the strange mystic and Force sage Maz Kanata. Follow their adventures through a broken galaxy where the relative order brought by the tyrannical Empire has been replaced with chaos and anarchy, Imperial remnants vie to hold on to power with corrupt politicians and criminal empires."

"Jedi Knight Skywalker struggles to balance teaching the son of his sister and rebuilding the Jedi Order, whilst trying be a guardian and a beacon of light to those still living under oppression. Helped by his good friend Calrissian and a mysterious acquaintance of the late Jedi Masters Yoda, Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi. In the power vacuum after the demise of Sith Lord Darth Sidious and the crime empire led by Jabba the Hutt, a new generation of scum and villainy joins what's left of the old remnants..."

It's an interesting proposition but sadly probably will seem far too much like fan service for the powers that be at Lucasfilm. It sounds like it plays even more than TM on the fact that the downfall of the Empire wasn't the great liberation everyone thought it would be.

17. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I would like some sort of Anthology trilogy, which would cover some pivotal point in the 30 years between ROTJ and TFA. Maybe not focusing on the main characters of the ST, but certain minor characters-other than perhaps Snoke, and maybe even Ben Solo and the knights of Ren. But I could see this also working as a series, something covering the turning of Ben to the Darkside.

Now, if they went animated, they could do just about anything with it, and include anyone. I'd actually love to see an animated series set in this time which focuses on Luke, Leia and Han and all that they were up to in the years between the OT and ST. Something like this, not unlike Rebels-could be very enjoyable. We could see some interesting things fleshed out, which were hinted at during the ST-for example this series could have an arc following Luke and Lando, and their pursuit of Ochi of Bestoon, in their search for Exegol. We could also see more of Han and Chewie and their smuggler exploits long before their deal with the delivery of Rathtars. Depending on what timeframe they cover with this, there could be a lot of interesting things to see.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I actually like the idea that lit, TV and videogames will fill in the Ep 6-7 gap. Another movie featuring Our Heroes during that time period would throw off the symmetry of the Skywalker Saga. Now there could be something like Clone Wars/Siege of Mandalore in between though but SoM by the end was firmly focused on characters who weren't part of the saga from that point on.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  19. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    I think an animated series about the time between ROTJ and TFA is clearly the missing piece of the nine part saga right now. I loved the PT, but the Clone Wars gave us such an incredible bridge between AOTC and ROTS. Now, it's hard to separate the films from the animated show when it comes to how I feel about the Clone Wars.

The interesting part is that there may never be a time in the future when people will care more about the OT heroes than they do right now. Now is the time to capitalize on fans of Luke, Han and Leia.

cwustudent likes this.
  20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The 30 year time jump in between ROTJ and TFA is a treasure trove of content for the right film makers, and cynical ploy for more LEGO models to step on for everyone else.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  21. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I think it will be a real challenge (although not impossible) for Lucasfilm to make any 'Further adventures of Luke, Leia and Han' feel emotionally rewarding, given what the characters are subjected to during the events of the ST... and I say that not as a direct criticism of the sequels, but as an observation on the hypothetical writing process involved in eliciting audience empathy, with characters who ultimately don't have a 'good' future. This is, IMHO, somewhat of a different scenario to how the PT and TCWC work, as we were always cognisant that those particular stories were in service to the overarching story of Anakin's redemption (at the hands of his son), and him bringing balance to the force.

22. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I lowkey like Joker being simply "Joe Kerr" and nobody knowing it.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  23. Jamtia1

Jamtia1 Jedi Knight star 1

May 27, 2019

Honestly this is what Episodes 7-9 should have been. We should have gotten a whole trilogy honestly seeing what went down. It would have connected 6 and 7 so much better. Still don't like the idea of Luke/Leia and Han being failures, but at least there is a better flow here of showing rather than telling. That's the problem with the retread thing. Mirrored too much of the OT that it really should have developed its own story and went with something newer.

QUIGONMIKE likes this.
  24. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Um, no, that wouldn't have been a good choice for the trilogy at all, because barely anything would happen. Backstory-elements are backstory-elements, they don't make an entire trilogy worth of story on their own. It's something that you can flesh out in a show, or maybe even one movie, but it's not something that works as the center of a whole trilogy. It's simply not something you could have started the return of Star Wars to the big screen with.

I also don't see how being regular people with their ups and downs somehow is supposed to make people failures. Things don't alway work well, that's how life goes. Being a happy couple doesn't somehow mean that you will always remain a happy couple for the rest of your lives, and neither does toppling the Empire mean that you brought peace for all eternity. WW2 came merely 20 years after WW1 ended, that doesn't somehow make everything that happened in WW1 meaningless.

It's unrealistic to expect everyone to be happy yet have a story that deals with an epic conflict. Maybe some people don't care about getting an epic conflict, but this is Star Wars, you don't get an entire trilogy where little of consequence happens. As soon as a new trilogy was announced it was very much clear that a big conflict was going to happen. That either meant including the old characters (which people were looking forward to) and having them face some issues of their own, or not include them and have people ask why you went ahead with the story and somehow ignored the old heroes even though they were at the right age to work as mentor figures.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  25. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    I agree with you somewhat. There should have been more "backstory" about how things ended up the way they did but then a transitin into thenew characters would ahve been fine. I just feel like too much important stuff happened off screen or << insert novel, comic video or game here >> that we dont get any info about. So, a "hybrid" per se of some scenes leading up into what we got along with the obvious new characters storylines wouild have worked better, IMO.

See my reply above. I see your points but we dont have to throw away the "new" conflicts in order to better service the state of things and how we got to where we are in the begginng of the sequels. There is plenty they could have expanded on which would have given more weight to things that did happen in the sequels. Something like that.