main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    And Tennant met his future wife when she played Jenny in S4's The Doctor's Daughter.

2. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Hiya Whovians, hope you're well.

Mini update on my viewings; been making some progress with classic Who.

Watched two 5th Doctor arcs "Warriors of the Deep" and "The Caves of Androzani."
    I liked the former, especially the water sea reptile star trek like base with Scibus and Tarpok. Seemed to drag a bit by Part 3 though.

Androzani was great, very cerebral, lots of exposition, nice character development; I can see why this is regarded as a classic and one of Davison's best stories.

And "The Talons of Weng-Chiang".
    Enjoyed it quite a lot. Need to rewatch it soon. 4th Doctor is always great.

Saw the last 3 parts of "The Dalek Invasion" with Hartnell on the telly and it was interesting, but pretty slow.

And because I heard it referenced, I randomly watched "Heaven Sent". My first and only Capaldi episode so far. It was amazing. I know I'm missing a lot, but it was so fun to see.

I wanted to watch at least one episode or story arc from every doctor; only missing two so far, Doctors 6 and 8. Not counting John Hurt or any other special anomalies I may be unaware of, but am learning about.

Think I'll watch "The Robots of Death" next and then jump back up to Tennant. One series left for him and then on to Matt Smith.

3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    As recommendation for the Sixth Doctor, I'd say Revelation of the Daleks, that's my favourite. Got a dark tone, similar to Caves of Androzani. The Two Doctors is another decent start, since you get two Doctors for the price of one, plus some nice location shooting in Spain ;)

For 8... the tv movie... that's his only full episode :p Then watch Night of the Doctor free on youtube. Cause that's the entirety of his run as the Doctor on tv :)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  4. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    If you want more 8th Doctor beyond that, invest in a lot of Big Finish Audios.

5. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Thank you @darkspine10
    Yes! I remember that Paul McGann had the tv movie and that was pretty much it.
    @Juliet316 Thanks.
    I've never listened to those.

That's neat that Troughton comes back for "The Two Doctors."
    And I've heard that "The Revelation of the Daleks" is good. I've wanted to watch both of those arcs.
    It seems the 6th Doctor is not well loved. I've yet to see a single episode of his.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  6. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    With an American actor as the Master, right?

7. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    The 5th Doctor has a return appearance during the Tennant era from what I remember.

8. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Correct, Eric Roberts, who later reprised the role on audio. I've listened to one featuring him, and he's honestly really good. Has a nice camp menace :)
    [​IMG]

2007's mini-episode, Time Crash. Which actually aired right around where Dags is in his watchthrough :p:

9. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    “Spoilers”

PCCViking, Juliet316 and darkspine10 like this.
  10. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    [​IMG]

11. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    I'm ok with Doctor Who spoilers for obvious reasons. It's an ancient program and I'd rather talk with everyone here about it than watch every series first.

Plus, I've watched a few YouTube videos that gave too much away and that's my fault. I'm trying to forget it, but I am interested in learning about the show and sometimes spoilers creep in on those vids even though they are trying to be careful.
    I usually just look up vids about specific stories I've seen.

I have avoided watching the regeneration vids.
    So far I've only seen 5 to 6 and 9 to 10.

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Speaking of mini-sodes, there's another on YouTube that you might like:

- this was made for the Doctor Who edition of the BBC Proms in 2008.

Dagobahsystem and darkspine10 like this.
  13. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Wow, that was cool. Love the whole orchestra music bit too. Thanks for posting.

@darkspine10
    Your Time Crash vid is "unavailable in my country" but I'll try looking it up later. Thanks for the spoilers guys. [face_tee_hee]

I'm about to watch "The Robots of Death" for the very first time.
    I know nothing about it except that it is gonna be fantastic.:cool:

Daft-Vader, Juliet316 and darkspine10 like this.
  14. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Enjoy Robots Dags, that was one of the earliest stories I saw :)
    [​IMG]

And I hope you can find a Time Crash vid that works, it's a really fun minisode.

15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    @Dagobahsystem - you're welcome. The Time Crash vid was what made me remember Music of the Spheres.

PCCViking and Dagobahsystem like this.
  16. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
  17. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    "Warriors of the Deep" was generally OK, though it has continuity flubs and a couple of pretty lousy moments, and I understand it was a very troubled story to make. "Caves of Androzani" was very well-made, but I really don't like seeing the Doctor get bullied pretty much all through the story.
    "Talons of Weng-Chiang" is a great story, and I haven't seen "Dalek Invasion of Earth' in many years. "Heaven Sent" is one of the best episodes in the whole series, and the episode that follows it is one of the biggest disappointments in the whole series.
    By now you've probably seen "Robots of Death". I'm pretty sure that was the first DVD I got from the show. Very good story from the show's best period.

Rew, Dagobahsystem and Juliet316 like this.
  18. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Just found out that the actress who played Jackie Tyler was in King Ralph with a future Doctor (albeit the War Doctor), John Hurt.

19. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Tennant's starring in a drama on ITV this week about serial killer Denis Nilsen , I've seen some pics and he looks spookily like him .

20. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I meant to say a few weeks ago I watched an episode of The Adventures of Sir Lancelot, a show from the late 1950's starring William Russell, aka Ian Chesterton from 60's Doctor Who. He made for a good leading man (which of course he was pretty much in the early Who episodes).

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Have we heard anything about the thirteenth season? I was thinking about it the other day and thought it’ll be nice to see Jodie’s second season... but then it hit me that that’s not right. It’s already her third! I can’t believe how quick that went. I feel like we’re just starting to get to know this incarnation. I hope she stays on longer than the normal three seasons.

22. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Got this cool Time Lord Victorious poster with DWM, had just enough space to fit it in ;):
    [​IMG]

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I think the BBC director was interviewed and said that because of DW's use of location shoots and current restictions... It's going to be a very very long time before we see Doctor Who again, with the exception of the Christmas Special which was already filmed before COVID blew everything up and we'll see at Christmas.

24. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Watching Ghost Light right now, this scene is straight fire:

Dagobahsystem and Juliet316 like this.
  25. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Yes, I loved it. Baker's 3rd season has some of my fave stories so far overall.
    I really liked The Deadly Assassin as well. And Mandragora was enjoyable too. I've not yet watched The Face of Evil from Season 14.

And I bought The Mind Robber on DVD. Watched it last night. It was really fun with some cool camera set ups and trippy images. I liked the soundtrack a lot too. That unicorn bit was hilarious. Troughton is great although I chuckled at some of the melodramatic acting going on with that cast lol. I'm really glad I bought this story though. I've got that and Tomb of the Cybermen from 2nd Doctor. Two good ones!