main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Most "unbelievable" EU stories

Discussion in 'Literature' started by President Bossk, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

No, Tapcaft Tranmissions

2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
  3. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Possibly. But, Anakin's knighthood, at least in Legends, was a result of the same thing. The Jedi were being stretched too thin and they needed more Knights. They knighted Anakin without him facing all the trials he needed to accomplish. However, I thought Ahsoka was Yoda's idea because he thought it would help Anakin with his attachment issues. Maybe that was the explanation in Legends.

And even though Anakin is a pretty good Master, they still treat him with contempt and are worried about his immaturity.

Honestly, neither Legends or Canon are really good at making Anakin's journey in the war believable. 02-05 media project doesnt give Anakin enough time to be a Knight, but TCW just skips over Anakin's AOTC demeanor completely. Even the 2008-2013 Legends is really pushing it that AOTC Anakin became ROTS Anakin in less than 2 months.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  4. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I personally think the microseries handled it better. Sure, it's way shorter than TCW, but I feel like we actually have some sort of character arc from AOTC Anakin to ROTS Anakin. I feel like Anakin is already his ROTS self by the time TCW starts. Sure, it might be logical for this development to happen in the initial six months, but I think it's disappointing this wasn't on screen.

5. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    You know what bothered me more than Starkiller's power level? Bail's involvement in the story, specifically the ending.

Bail Organa in Legends was written as someone who was incredibly careful to project the image of a loyal Imperial senator. Maybe Palpatine suspected his Rebel sympathies, but he never had concrete proof. Then in TFU we see Bail get captured at a Rebel meeting and taken prisoner aboard the Death Star with Palpatine and Vader, confirming that they 100% know that this powerful politician is a traitor. And so what do these ruthless dictators do when he escapes their custody? Let him go back to lead a peaceful life on Alderaan and have his daughter take his place in the Senate.

Which not only makes Vader and Palpatine look like lazy idiots, as they can't be bothered to go after the only leader of the Alliance not on the run, but also Bail looks like a fool for not going into hiding and letting his daughter go to Coruscant. How they weren't both executed/incarcerated long before ANH is beyond me.

6. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Alliegence is one for me. Darth Vader is bested and gets jealous of an 18 year old girl. Mara even hacks his Google history and tricks him by turning out the lights. Vader literally bellows with rage over it [face_rofl]:vader:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    adalmentia and AusStig like this.
  7. Bia Surik

Bia Surik Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2020
    TFU it's fun to play but the story it's implausible, I can say any story with Palpatine live after ROTJ, it's so anti-climax. Also the Sith back strong after ROTJ, when in last time that they returning after defeated was millions of years later, just for used the Skywalker Family. Of course that the dark side always will exists and someone Jedi can go in tentation, but destroyed the New Republic and create a New Empire it's too much. In both Legends and Canon the evil return in short time stronger, just for used the Skywalkers in more galaxy drama. Because the things never can be simple, it's always have to involve billions of lifes in a personal family drama, I guess LOL.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  8. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I agree. It helps bridge the films better and allows Anakin to have actual character development. Anakin in TCW doesn't change much (if at all) if you compare Season 1 to Season 7, well, except his hairstyles :p

9. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

IDK if people consider this the most "unbelievable" EU story but a podcast just did what they claim is the most "Controversial"

10. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Han and Chewbacca fighting zombies a few months before a new hope

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    AusStig, JediBatman and PCCViking like this.
  11. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Darksaber its sequel beats that imo

Corellia's Dream likes this.
  12. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Back in the day the Yuuzhan Vong were "unbelievable" enough to me that the only EU i read during that time was CW related. After disney's ST the NJO doesn't seem so bad now.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  13. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I have to say I disagree here, having just played TFU again.

Pulling a ship out of the sky wasn’t something Galen could do casually. He was noticeably shocked and exhausted after the fact. Not to mention it completely aligns with Yoda’s principle size matters not-still it was an extraordinary feat. It took time, concentration, while fighting off TIE fighters.

He bested Vader-but Vader has been bested, or nearly bested anyway in the EU. And he didn’t beat Sidious(though he may have been toying with him anyway).

Marek is primally powerful, and was himself trained by Vader. He’s basically a wrecking ball. Which was his purpose. Meaning that he could overcome Vader(he was intimately familiar with Vader’s style of fighting too), and at least give Sidious a ferocious challenge. Even so-the game mechanics do a good of showing that fighting both of them is hard.

14. President Bossk

President Bossk Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 24, 2019
    I feel like Star Wars just became to big to just lie dormant. Before the Disney purchase, I thought George would eventually do a sequel trilogy. There was just too much demand for more. He did act like he was done and then made The Phantom Menace 16 years after ROTJ after all. Even if they never made a sequel trilogy, I think the EU would have eventually became too big and imploded on itself, causing them to reboot it or something (like Star Trek). In fact, with TCW contradicting so much EU, I was wondering if they would start the EU over soon anyway. Really, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

15. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Lucas contradicts himself a lot, but I don't think there was ever a point between ROTJ and TPM when he indicated he wasn't going to do the prequels.

Xammer likes this.
  16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    He was immediately after ROTJ, those first years, when he didn't even really want to do ROTJ.

17. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I often wonder what the EU would have been like if the Buy-Out never happened.

My guess more contradictions and retcons...and if Lucas did decide to do his Ep 7-9 oooooh boy...You would have believed it would have been messy.

Not that in terms of the Post Jedi EU things were any better...That stuff in the eyes of many fans was already going down hill with Legacy of the Force and most of the post NJO stuff.

18. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Some generally unbelievable EU moments

-Allana killing Sith at the tender age of ten. That always struck me as insanely dumb. Even for someone as special as Allana.
    -Luke never investigating Krayt and the one Sith.
    -Vergere’s alleged Sith backstory has about 40 or so required lucky contrivances to work.

Those are elements I find unbelievable, as for stories?

I guess the Glove of Darth Vader, and maybe the talking mountain. I dunno, I’m fairly open minded, Star Wars can be both fantasy and sci fi(ish).

19. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@President Bossk

I wonder what one would HAVE considered unbelievable back in the day but now just accept as fact.

For example

I believe people considered Dark Empire and Palpatine coming back as a CLone to be a unbelievable story at the time but a good thirty years later Dark Empire is now somewhat of a cult classic and obviously the idea of Palpatine coming back (With Clones) has now become a staple in both continuities.

I have a feeling many considered the whole NJO storyline unbelievable and the Yuzongvong silly ...and while many still do ....they at least don't consider it "Unbelievable"

President Bossk likes this.
  20. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    I love this story, and I've always wanted to see more droid revolution plots in Star Wars.

For me the most unbelievable Legends story is clearly Galaxy of Fear: Clones. I'm a big fan of the Galaxy of Fear books in all their glorious corniness, but an abandoned-but-functional instant-cloning facility just breaks established continuity too hard for me to roll with it.

Nom von Anor and Iron_lord like this.
  21. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I know that some stories of the old legends can be considered unbelievable, and I'm not going to go through anyone in particular. I think you guys are doing a great job of that, but, what I will say is that I will take any of those stories over much of what Disney has done. GL's prequels can be laughed at and hated but they stand over anything the sequel trilogy has. In fact, TPM is way better of a movie for me than ROTS. The EU back then was fun and the only regret is that TFU III was never done to complete the trilogy nor Sword of the Jedi. I will take the EU which some can say unbelievable to the underwhelming cliched Disney crass marketing star wars EU.

fett 4 likes this.
  22. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    At least some of the more out-there Jedi and Sith powers do this for me.

As much as I love the Thrawn trilogy, Joruus C'baoth's level of brain control (reaching out and immobilizing an entire Star Destroyer crew) probably falls under this for me. I always felt like if it was really possible to achieve that kind of power over that many people, battles shouldn't be happening at all. Dark siders should be able to simply reach out and give a brain aneurysm to the entire enemy army.

The Lusankya's origin story, on the other hand, is something I love for preserving the ambiguity there. The rumor is that the Emperor was able to bring it down from orbit to be buried under Coruscant and the entire surface above it rebuilt, and then mind-wipe everybody who saw it. ... which to me, is just ridiculous if we're meant to believe that actually happened. Largely for the same reason as C'baoth's powers; giving a character that level of power simply breaks the universe for me, if he can do that, he should be essentially invincible and invulnerable. It's far more likely that the ship was simply built underground right from the start. But, this is also exactly the sort of power level that I can totally imagine Palpatine wanting people to think he has. Or at least, wonder if he has. So the story is, nevertheless, a great addition to the universe.

23. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Aug 25, 2013
    That's why I've never fit in TCW with the rest of the Legends universe. To me, TCW is simply part of NuCanon, as are the novels around it. The Legends Clone Wars is the early, pre-2008 stuff (the original show, the Dark Horse comics, the various novels).

24. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Aug 25, 2013
    This, I never really understood.

I don't own the book, but I've read it a couple times and I remember not coming away with the "Vader got beat" impression at all. Mara got a good enough shot in to buy herself a moment, in which Vader rethought his course of action (especially once he realized she wasn't interested in what he thought of at all). It was beyond clear to me that if it hadn't worked and he'd actually continued charging after her, she'd have been toast, even if she did manage to die well.

25. antitoxicgamer

antitoxicgamer Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 9, 2020
    1.Star Wars Kotor 2. We have a Sith that basically just destroys a planet by draining all life forces from it.

2.That part of EU where Jango Fett kills 5-6 Jedis with his bare hands.

3.Mara Jade giving in to her anger and killing a clone of Luke instead of the real Luke and yet that doesn't have any negative effect on her at all.

4.Star Wars TFU 2 ending.
    -In one of the endings, Juno is alive while in the other one she remains dead.
    -You have an evil Starkiller clone in one of the endings and you don't know if he really exists in the other one.
    -The storm over Kamino stops in one of the endings while in the other one the storm continues.
    The endings were really inconsistent.

5.Dark Forces 1: Kyle kills a Kell Dragon by his fists.

6.Jedi Academy: The dark side path makes Jaden completely insane in few seconds.

7.The end of Star Wars Legacy, Dart Krayt has became this powerful that he could basically just revive himself from the death.

adalmentia, AusStig and Alpha-Red like this.