main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I think The Force has no interest in co-operating with the electronic side of his brain, so he has competing influences on his biological self.
    This weird schizophrenia of voices in his head could be fun to write.

Will one of them win out? Maybe he will decide in the end that he just prefers his mechanical self, and rips The Force out of himself again.
    Can he resolve their bickering and become more powerful using them both?
    Left arms get the computer, right arms get The Force?

2. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I feel slightly embarrassed about this but I’m working on a scene where a couple characters are speculating about Emperor Palpatine getting aroused/finding sexual pleasure in having complete power over people and it’s even better when they’re kneeling before him begging for mercy/to do x and I’m not sure how to phrase it without being board unfriendly.

One thought is that a character misunderstands what they’re talking about and thinks that they’re likening what the Emperor gets out of it is like a drug high but is corrected with someone responding with ‘pleasures of flesh’ or something along those lines or does something in an attempt to ‘excite’ the person and say ‘like that’.

I just don’t know.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

3. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    You mean like:

Person A: ....So, like a drug high?

Person B: More like carnal pleasures.

Person A: Wait, "carnal pleasures"? You mean like........? Kriff, dude. Now I need brain bleach. That is not a picture I needed in my head.

4. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    I think @Cowgirl Jedi 1701 has the best dialogue :D@};-

Weird question :- According to Wookieepedia a Goose is a star wars universe animal. However, saying that someone got sent 'on a wild goose chase' seems weird.

Any other suggestions? Nerfs are used too often :p

Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    @Kit' maybe a hawkbat or mynocks or porgs?

Kahara, Tarsier and Kit' like this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What about "snipe hunt"? Maybe have somebody ask what a snipe is and explain it as some kind of hard to catch bat-bird from Coruscant, they think.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  7. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I feel like I've heard an example of this, but I can't remember where or exactly what it was.... Possibly it was "wild mynock chase."

The Wook has both bantha and mynock, but the cites are not what I'm thinking of.

8. Grievous2003

Grievous2003 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2019
    In Revenge of the Sith before Obi wan left Coruscant to go to Utapau to find General Grievous, he was telling Anakin that it might be a wild bantha chase.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    Kahara and Lady_Misty like this.
  9. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    ‘Wild Bantha Chase’ has been used in Canon but I’m sure that different regions, planets, cultures and species in Star Wars have a different animal that they use and Obi-Wan only used ‘Bantha’ because of Anakin’s influence in his life.

Look up the history of the phrase and see what it says about the origin of the phrase and why a wild goose was chosen and go from there.

If I chose to use the goose as the wild animal being chased I might use a specific planet just to add a layer of Star Wars to the phrase.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Kahara and Gamiel like this.
  10. Grievous2003

Grievous2003 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2019
    Hey I wanted to ask about the feasibility/plausibility of an idea of had. In my story, I had thought that the clone troopers have a self-terminate protocol installed in their biochips. What I was trying to do is have someone hack into the biochips and activate the self-terminate order so as to eliminate the entire clone army (basically it would be like the clone version of the shutdown command for the droid army). I'm sure that this would be something that the Kaminoians would install in their clones as they had little regard for their lives. Here are two ways this would happen:

1.) Someone gains control of the biochips and transmits an order to self-terminate and the clones simply shoot themselves when the order is given.

2.) Someone activates a self-destruct order for the biochips themselves which results in them being destroyed (this might be plausible as the Kaminoians new how crucial it was to keep it a secret and they would want to prevent the Jedi from finding out no matter what). As a result of the chips being destroyed, the clones they were implanted in all die immediately due to damage to their brains (like how Tup slowly died as his biochip degraded).

Does this seem doable?

11. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    I assume "Execute Order 66" was programmed to require the Emperor to say it. Maybe there were a collection of Orders, all requiring his personal activation.

That impersonation may be a key?
    Or maybe there are special factory Kaminoan Kill Codes.

Sure.
    All kinds of backdoor hacks are possible.

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    A Marvel fic question.

I'm slowly working on a Into the Spider-Verse follow up fic where some new spiders appear, and I'm trying to decide how different their Earth is to have some points to mention during the interaction with Peter B. Parker. One of the other Spiders is a Teresa Parker, Peter's little-sister (yes she is canon) - who is from a world where she is the one spider-bitten not Peter - I was thinking that her Earth is highly similar to the Heroes Reborn Earth with some elements from Onslaught Reborn Earth, for you who was not there when that happened the short version is:
    - Avengers are made up by: Captain America, Scarlet Witch, Swords Man, Hellcat, Hawkman, Vision, Thor, Ant-Man, Wasp
    - Ant-Man & Wasp's suits are more of high-tech armours
    - Thor is more brutal and temperamental, prone to violence, moments of godly narcissism, and wishing to slay his enemies, than his 616 or Movie counterpart
    - Hawkeye is actually Logan (Wolverine), which is a secret
    - Scarlet Witch is Amora the Enchantress’ daughter
    - Hellcat is a cat-human
    - Tony Stark was even more of a jerk than MCU version before becoming Iron-Man
    - Victor von Doom, Reed Richards, Henry Pym, Tony Stark, and Bruce Banner, all know each other during college
    [EDIT:ed in] - Bucky in this reality survived the war to return to US whole and healthy where he married and had children, his granddaughter is Cap's current sidekick.

Now with that said so is what I need help with is to decide how the Spider-Mans supporting cast (friends, associates and villains) looks in this reality where all the above is different and there is no Spider-Man but a Spider-Woman (Teresa Parker). I have no problems with things being thrown around, characters having different powers or secret identities or major S-M characters being unimportant in this version. So any suggestions?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  13. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Recalling how you have helped me and others to flesh out concepts in the past, it is only fair that I now help you in the same manner. So calling on my limited knowledge of things Spiderman, here are some questions.

Obviously, since Teresa is Peter's little sister, their parents live longer than in 616/MCU canon. (Not being one of those uber-nerds that knows almost everything there is to know about their fandoms, I am assuming that she originates from another officially established Marvel universe.) Are their parents still alive in this reality? Or are they orphans and living with Aunt May and Uncle Ben?

Is Uncle Ben dying still the catalyst for Teresa becoming a legitimate hero, as opposed to just using her powers for personal gain? Or is there a different catalyst? Does Uncle Ben live in this reality?

When she isn't Spider-ing, does everyone call her Teresa? Or does she have a nickname? Teri, perhaps? Or Tess?

Is there a Mean Girl™ who bullies her at school, a la Flash? If so, does Mean Girl™ call her "T.P."?

What about Principal Morita? Is it public knowledge that his father (or was it his grandfather?) was one of the Howling Commandos? If it is, what difference does that make to this reality? Does the History teacher talk at length about the Howling Commandos (and by extension Captain America and Bucky Barnes) when covering WW2?

Does Teresa idolize Bruce Banner as a Science Hero?

Since Tony Stark is more of a butthead, does that mean that Iron Spider is never a thing in this reality?

Is Teresa on tumblr? Twitter? Instagram? YouTube? Does she have a habit of quoting/referencing memes, Vines, and/or [shavit]posts?

Does she know Deadpool?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Gamiel likes this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I was thinking of keeping her and Peter as orphans since that means I don't need to image their famili situation outside of the normal.

I have no idea actually. What do people think?

That's a thought, Teresa do feel like a name that will be shortened by kids.

Don't think so but that made me think of what friends Teresa should be hanging around with, since Peter's is some years older than she, I think I'm going with the Slingers' secret identities as they are younger than Peter, have a kind of connection to him, and I know just enough of their personalities to work with them, at least since they are just going to be mentioned at best.

I was thinking of having her colleage age (I'm more comfortable with post-high school Spiders since the ones I grow up with all was colleage age or older.)

Not likely since Banner is not dealing in that kind of science stuff she or Peter would be interested in (and I'm working with the idea that she is less of a science head than her bro)

Thats a thought (and give me idea for a concept for an other Spider-[person] who is highly media active, fighting crime and taking selfies)

Well, Teresa is not his protégé, or is she member of the Avengers in her reality (at least for now) so is their no Iron Spider suit.

No.

Any suggestions about her villains?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  15. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Uncle Ben is a good guy, and deserves at least one reality where he gets to live, so I think there should be a different catalyst. Maybe she randomly saves someone from being mugged, and their reaction inspires her to do stuff like that more often? I dunno.

Kinda what I was thinking.

Okay, but she still would have gone to that high school, right? And the answer to those questions would have a lasting impact on the way she thought about certain things.

Totally on board for social media savvy, meme quoting, selfie taking, Gen Z Spider-peeps.

Why? Has she just not met him yet?

Doc Ock? Sandman? Green Goblin? Carnage? Mysterio? Dunno much about Spidey villain beyond a handful of names.

Is she a sci-fi nerd - Trek, Wars, etc?

Anedon and Gamiel like this.
  16. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    I second that. Especially for like the one comic book character who actually stays dead, I mean even Thomas Wayne has that one alternate Earth where he is Batman.

Gamiel likes this.
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    There is actually at least five, no make that six (even if that Ben was in practice a bad guy), realities where Ben is alive. Not counting the ones where Peter did not becames Spider-Man.

Eh, I don't really see it, since most Marvel Earth's likley have teacher going about how Cap A saved the day in WWII.

More or less that yes.

Possibly, but not a huge one

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  18. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Whaddya know? I learned something today.

How about one of her professors is a conspiracy theorist, and their pet theories are "Bucky Barnes is actually alive," and, "Hydra/the Russians are responsible for every suspicious death of somebody famous, including the Kennedy assassination."

They bump into each other at a Mexican food truck, because chimichangas.

Would be fun to see her having to ditch out of a costume party or something because a Villain is doing the Evil Things, and she's like, "I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you."

Gamiel likes this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Oh, I should have mentioned Bucky in my "what is different" write-up, the thing is Bucky in this reality survived the war to return to US whole and healthy where he married and had children, his granddaughter is Cap's current sidekick.
    Will edit that in.

I think I' beginning to get an idea how to do this but I want suggestions on her villains how do people think Spider's standard (or maybe non-standard) villains are different in this kind of reality?

20. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Hello, newcomer here, so sorry if I'm not in the right place for this.

I'm writing a story that will feature force using creatures, in a similar vein to Lothwolfs from Rebels. However, the planet I'm basing the fan-fic on is Dorin, the home planet of Plo Koon. The planet is barren, filled with extreme storms and little oxygen, so I was wondering what kind of creature I could use in this environment? I have some ideas but I thought I would ask folks who know what their doing in the world of writing.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  21. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Debating whether to work on Episode VIII or finish my Chitty Chitty Bang Bang story first. I have the ending in mind for the latter and a basic idea for the former.

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    * If they are breathing oxygen (which is not a must in SW) do they likely need large, or many lungs.
    - oxygen is higher in lower altitudes, maybe it's only found in the lowlands.
    * Since it's a barren world are they likely ambush predators, made for short burst of speed or energy but also capable of wandering for long times in search of prey.
    * Since storms are usually do it need an ability to take shelter, protect itself if it is picked up, or some ability to stay put.
    - Maybe it's just really heavy and have claws that it can use to anchor itself, making it possible to just stand still and let the storms wash over them.
    - another possibility is that it is a digger that spend most of it life in great tunnel systems, unaffected by the storms, and then ambushes prey from the tunnel systems openings and/or use droop traps.
    - could be lean and able to flatten itself together with something that anchor it (claws, suction cups, stomach quills, mucus, etcetera) witch makes it hard to pick up by the storms.
    - maybe it's just so well evolved that it somehow can move around in the storms without problems, possibly doing most of it hunting while storms are going on
    * suggest looking at RL desert and high altitude predators.

GregMcP and Chancellor Yoda like this.
  23. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Thank You!

Like I said I had some ideas (especially from RL animals) but I thought would ask anyways. Now you've given me more ideas, so thanks once again.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Adding:
    * If the world is barren but wet (like the planet where they kept Jyn's dad, or at least the parts we saw) so is it possible that the predator is squid- or octupuss-like, or resembling krabs, or have aquatic-animal features.

GregMcP and Chancellor Yoda like this.
  25. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    I pictured an animal that open up membranes like a kite or parachute and used the storm to lift itself into the upper atmosphere and travel great distances

Gamiel likes this.