main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Well with your bad knee Ahsoka, you shouldn't be throwing anybody

cubman987 , DarthIntegral and dp4m like this.
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Considering there are no fans there, probably not :p

3. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    My knee's fine, how's yours?

LloydChristmas likes this.
  4. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Thank you @LloydChristmas but I think you are wrong:

[​IMG]

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    corey seager is playing out of his mind. getting some fat pitches too, with turner back in the lineup and batting behind him.

DarthTunick likes this.
  6. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    There are an awful lot of really good free agent shortstops hitting the market the next two winters. Seager, Correa, Lindor, Story, Semien, Baez. Gonna be interesting to see who gets paid and who doesn't.

Amazing.

heels1785 likes this.
  7. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    lol there was actually someone , i forget who , on commentary when the season started saying Gavin Lux would be moved to shortstop soon and the Dodgers would let Seager go.

8. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Of all the things I'd imagined to find clicking this weird thread, getting owned by Ahsoka's Tano was not one of them

9. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    It's not really that unreasonable. The Dodgers can't give $200 million contracts to everybody and Bellinger and Buehler are going to get paid sooner than later.

Amazing.

DarthTunick likes this.
  10. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  11. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    About five days before the playoffs are supposed to start, and I'm still confused at the structure. This first round is called the "Wildcard Round", and yet the first place teams don't have a bye, right? I know there's a lot of teams that still haven't clinched yet going into this weekend; but if you asked me who/what/when/where/how I couldn't tell you.

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    the marlins made the playoffs

the red sox did not

lol

13. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    If history is any guide, the Marlins should be hoisting the World Series trophy sometime in October. They haven't lost a playoff series yet.

14. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Yeah, they haven't, but it's one of those weird stats that sounds cool for about a second, until you realize it doesn't mean much of anything.

Point Given and Juliet316 like this.
  15. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    For as much **** as they get for being cheap, blowing up the team, and having no fans, what the Marlins have done is incredible. They won two WS in their first eleven years of existence. Two in 28 years now. That's two more than many longstanding teams have won. They aren't viewed as a successful franchise, but they've won more titles than most, with far fewer resources.

It is a bit flukey. Those WS were their only winning seasons in those first eleven seasons. They've only had four winning seasons since. So. Two WS in six winning seasons is a bit lucky. But they knew how to put it together quickly. That they were able to get those teams to win it all, so quickly, with so little experience, is unbelievable. Idk if there's another example like them. They're a very unique franchise.

They aren't considered a good, successful franchise. Maybe they deserve to be viewed differently, despite all the misery.

Rew and DarthIntegral like this.
  16. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    not really . they went out and got some legitimately good players in 97' and then tore it apart. In 2003 their young pitchers got hot and the Yankees just had gone through a tough series against their rival the Red Sox. 03' was flukey WITH hot pitchers. 97' was not, although nearly all the players were not homegrown.
    Bobby Bonilla, Moises Alou, Devon White, Gary Sheffield, Cliff Floyd, Darren Daulton, Kevin Brown, Al Leiter, to name a few.

with a helping of Eric Gregg's strike zone. i had actually forgotten about that until a couple years ago and saw video of the Hernandez game and remembered In fact if you enter Eric Gregg in a google search Strike Zone pops up as a suggestion

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    DarthTunick likes this.
  17. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    How does any of that contradict what I said? What difference does it make if they were homegrown in 97? They only had each of those guys for a few seasons at most. Cliff Floyd was literally no one at that point and basically didn't play. He contributed nothing to that team. Alou was there one year. Bobby Bo was there a year. White was there two years. Brown was there two years. Leiter wasn't a name before the Marlins. They took all these guys and made a championship team out of them in no time. The 97 Marlins made a lot of those names into what they became, made their legacy. They're bigger names in retrospect.

They tore it apart because they couldn't afford to pay any of them. They went all in, won, and then cashed out. It was not well received, I hated it myself, but they did what they had to, and then transitioned and won again in 03. That's a quick turnaround.

I thought Livan was electric. The Braves had Maddux and Glavine, who were getting those calls for years. They got a taste of their own medicine.

Anyway, the point was, a lot of people make fun of them, but they have more rings than most teams during their existence. I mean, they have more rings than the Braves during their time. More than Cleveland, the Dodgers, Oakland, Houston, Detroit, Philly, Mets, and a bunch of other teams. They have as many WS during their time as the Cardinals. Are they as good a franchise? Are rings all that matter? No, but it's something to consider.

I'd rather follow a team that is consistently competing but falling short of a ring than follow the Marlins, but they do have those two rings.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  18. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    I think what the Marlins proved (and the Giants last decade and other teams) is that the biggest key to winning the World Series is just making the playoffs. Short series are crapshoots. It doesn't matter how you get there, just get there. The rings are nice obviously, but it's got to be miserable watching a team win the Series and then get immediately dismantled and not know what's coming next.

Amazing.

DarthIntegral and DarthTunick like this.
  19. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Exactly, which is why the Marlins deserve to be mostly dismissed until they’ve got years of stability.

20. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'd rather have the Marlins 1993-present result than Cleveland's. And that contains there good runs from Cleveland.

I bet @tom would gladly say the same for Seattle, and @LloydChristmas for the Reds.

LloydChristmas and cubman987 like this.
  21. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Yeah and pre-2016 cubman987 would have as well.

LloydChristmas likes this.
  22. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Right, but that obviously comes with the benefit of hindsight knowing the results. I'd take the Marlins results, too. But I'd much prefer to root for a team that consistently makes the playoffs year in and year out.

Amazing.

Point Given likes this.
  23. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    If history repeats itself as it usually does; Miami would squeak their way all the way through the playoffs and win the Championship; only to cast their typical team-wide fire sale during the offseason.

24. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    The Pirates have been a worse franchise than the Marlins, but idk, I don't see the Pirates as the butt of jokes as often. The Pirates have done the same ****. No payroll, refuse to pay anyone, grow talent and trade it for nothing, no attendance, etc. And they've got nothing to show for it. The Rockies came into existence the same year as the Marlins but have basically one good year to show for it and no rings. Tons of offense, which I'm sure is fun, but idk, maybe it gets old. The Padres and Mariners haven't made the playoffs in forever, either.

I'd definitely rather follow the Indians. Those 90s teams were great. Belle, Lofton, Manny, Justice, Thome, Alomar, Vizquel, etc. I know they've come so close to winning it all multiple times and that must be heartwrenching, but look at that greatness. Must have been a pleasure to watch every day. I mean, sports are to be watched. You have to watch this ****.

There is something to be said for continuity. I mean, the Mariners have been miserable, but watching Ichiro was probably nice. Before that they had Griffey and Edgar and other greats. Can't say the same for the Marlins, their greats don't stick around.

I don't mean to rub it in for anyone or throw it anyone's face. I'm just saying, the Marlins aren't the worst. Or, if they are, they've got two up on other teams, and a lot of teams have no room to talk.

25. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    geez get upset why don't you. No one is coming at you, just talking.

why would two great seasons in 28 years make people view them differently? Hell the Marlins and the Twins have won titles since my Dodgers but would i rather have 1 title and year after year of losing compared to finishing 1st or second every year? not really.

and no 1997 did not make those players. Bonilla, White, Sheffield, Alou were long established. Hell even Leiter was on the World Champion Blue Jays. I think 97 was about his 9th year in the league.
    the point is they basically bought a title that year and then ripped it apart. As soon as they had developed some good young players a few years later they traded them off too. Same thing about 3 years ago with their great outfield.