main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why Vader stopped Boba Fett from shooting Chewie ?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by antitoxicgamer, Sep 27, 2020.

1. antitoxicgamer

antitoxicgamer Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 9, 2020
    Just a question that came to my mind.

Why Vader didn't allow Boba to shoot Chewie even though Chewie killed or injured 2 stormtroopers in the carbon freezing chamber?

Did he feared that Han might have jumped in front of Chewie and taken the shot instead ?

Or he did feel some pity toward Chewie?

In terms of personality it doesn't makes sense for me since Vader was a ruthless guy that didn't shy away from finding excuses to kill more innocent and defenseless beings.

whostheBossk and CampOfSorgan like this.
  2. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    He needed them alive still to lure Luke, especially with Han going to Jabba. Leia and Chewie were the two he'd have left if something went wrong on Cloud City and he needed to try and lure to him again.

3. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I agree Vader had a plan. He was smart and wasn't just a ruthless killing machine. I think Vader choking his officers had more to do with his desperation in finding his son in that film. (He thinks Luke is aboard the Falcon.) The bond seems to grow stronger between Vader and Luke after their confrontation on Cloud City, as Vader then senses Luke aboard the Falcon.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  4. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Vader being homicidal with Imperial officers is also Lucas and Kasdan reacting IRL to the perceived ineffectual Vader of Leigh Brackett's draft, where he simply dismisses Imperial officers who fail him with a wave of his hand and lines like "Leave me, you incompetent idiot."

Pretty much everybody in Brackett's draft is overly talky. Lucas wanted more of the Brackett who'd written things like The Big Sleep and the Eric John Stark novels - not to mention a gangster smashing a glass bottle into his girlfriend's face in Robert Altman's 1973 film version of The Long Goodbye (which she also scripted).

Of course, Lucas' own plot outline for ESB still being very vague and insufficiently perilous for the heroes had a lot to do with the script's problems as well.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  5. antitoxicgamer

Sep 9, 2020
    If Vader actually wanted to imprison all of Luke's close friends to lure him then why he even risked Han's life by carbon freezing him ? That could have kill him and Vader just used him as a test to be assured that Luke doesn't die by being carbon freezed.

Also, wouldn't killing Chewie given him some advantage ? He could show Luke that he will kill his friends if Luke doesn't join him.That would make turning him much easier.
    But on Tantive 4 he wasn't that smart for killing captain Antilles imo.
    He could have imprisoned him similar to Leia and maybe he would have taken the secret rebel base location out of him very easily.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  6. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Because he still had Chewie and Leia....

If they are dead then Luke wouldn't come to save them.

christophero30 likes this.
  7. antitoxicgamer

Sep 9, 2020
    I meant just killing Chewie.

8. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    Killing your son's friends is not a winning strategy to convert him to the Dark Side.

It's much more extreme than simply cutting off his hand to defeat him in a swordfight, for instance.

9. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    Vader needs (wants) Luke frozen for his journey to the Emperor. Vader needs the carbon freezing chamber tested on Han so that he knows it won't kill Luke. Vader brings Leia and Chewy down to the freezing chamber when they freeze Han so that Han will willingly go into the freezing chamber. Without Leia and Chewy going down as well, Han may very well go out swinging and have to be killed.

Once they're down there, Vader is in charge. Boba Fett does not get to start firing into the crowd just because Chewbacca goes off the handle. Vader sees that everything will calm down and he isn't concerned with a few stormtroopers losing their lives. Vader is letting Boba Fett know not to get too comfortable and that he (Vader) is still calling the shots.

10. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    But nobody bothers to UNfreeze Han, so they don't know whether something like permanent blindness is a side effect of the carbon freezing process.

Though since that idea doesn't show up until ROTJ, it probably wasn't at all on the minds of Lucas, Kasdan et al. in ESB.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  11. Bring_My_Shuttle

Bring_My_Shuttle Jedi Master star 1

Oct 22, 2006
    GL missed an opportunity to have Vader say "NOOO"

christophero30 likes this.
  12. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Because Boba might accidentally hit Leia, Vader doesn't care about Chewie but along with Leia they are valuable prisoners. Leia is the grand prize though, she is the de facto leader of the Rebellion in the Hoth System, he failed to get information from her before, I can only imagine that Vader would love to take Leia to Mustafar and interrogate her as long as it takes.

13. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    Right! It's an indication of the way Leia was increasingly sidelined in ESB and ROTJ that nobody even mentions that idea.

Emperor Ferus and whostheBossk like this.
  14. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    "You are free to use any methods necessary, but I want them ALIVE-NO disintegrations!" :vader:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  15. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    • They’re in a small, compacted room. Ricochets are a thing, even with blaster bolts.

• Vader wants the others alive, not dead.

• Vader is in charge, not Boba. This is his mission. Boba is just an accessory. The fact Boba also gets a slice of the pie is irrelevant to Vader.

16. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    that is a good answer @DARTHLINK (cool Zelda av)
    (I like the way Vader says "bounty hunter" with contempt even though he must know his name)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  17. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I dont know about that. Luke would have have lost his s^%& and would have become enraged. A lot easier to turn someone who is emotionally compromised then someone being rational. Vader may have been more effective in executing them in front of Luke.

18. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    Interesting thought! But it relies on them still being alive when Luke gets there.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  19. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Vader could have offered Luke some power converters.

20. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    I just re-watched TESB (the 1980 version, natch) and to me it seemed clear that Vader regarded his own men as sufficient to quell Chewbacca. He didn't need a bounty hunter making things messier than they already were.

21. antitoxicgamer

Sep 9, 2020
    I saw someone in a PT thread saying that Vader stopped Boba because he recognized his own droid on the back of Chewbacca.(C3PO)

22. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Vader can cut his son's hand off but don't mess with his droid.

antitoxicgamer and Glitterstimm like this.
  23. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    That's how I interpret it.

There's also an old Star Wars Tales comic book exploring this idea.

24. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    It's a nice thought but the idea of ESB Vader caring about 3PO seems like a stretch. I think he just did not want Fett overreacting.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  25. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I agree. That's one thing. By shooting Chewie, he could have hurt Leia, and Vader was acutely aware that Luke could sense his friends on Cloud City. If one of them died, it would affect Luke's state of mind and probably would have made him more vengeful. I still think Vader could have debated him, but he would have had to utilize his entire skill set from the onset and wound Luke right then and there in the freezing chamber.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    antitoxicgamer likes this.