main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    "The Face of Evil" is great. Fine intro for Leela, and the cliffhanger for part 3 is one of the better ones. And the overarching plot features something we very rarely see in the show:
    The Doctor makes a big mistake and actually fixes it without angst or moping.

Dagobahsystem and Juliet316 like this.
  2. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/e...TglL_F3fmB3VaC1ykHJZFAzhPnzV6zrZzyvCkG4Bye6P0

The above article speculates that there potentially won't be a new series until late 2022.
    I only hope that this will ensure that Jodie remains the incumbent Doctor until the 60th anniversary.

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Hiya.
    Jeez, I hope DW can return with Jodie before late 2022. That's so far away.

I've started a small Doctor Who book collection. City of Death arrived today.
    I also have Curse of Peladon and Kinda. Looking forward to reading these. Oh, and one featuring Tennant called Snowglobe 7

4. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Ian Marter's books of "The Ark in Space" and "The Sontaran Experiment" are both good. Terrance Dicks' books are usually OK; I particularly liked his novelization of "Inferno". I thought Steven Moffat's novelization of "Day of the Doctor" kind of blew it, especially the sequence when all of the Doctors (well, all of them at that point) saved Gallifrey.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm partial to 'The Stone Rose' myself.

6. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Alien Bodies and Interference are my top choices for Who novels, though good luck finding a second-hand copy in this day age :p

7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Thrift Stores and Amazon are good sources for 'em. Also I know some of the older stores were reprinted for the 50th anniversary and Barnes and Noble and other bookstores may still have some of those reprints in stores.

Dagobahsystem and Princess_Tina like this.
  8. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Juliet316 likes this.
  9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  10. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
  11. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Yes, TD wrote Kinda which I bought.
    I'll make a note of those IM novels.
    Incidentally, I am waiting for Day of the Doctor novel to arrive, as I've not seen or read it yet. :D

What's that one about?
    So much Who to keep up with!

And good luck to you sir!
    *tips cap* :p
    Thanks for the recs mate. I'll add em to the list. :cool:

This is true. I braved a bookstore visit first time since feb and found five fab who books.
    Got greedy, went to another bookstore the next day and found none.

I do have some more who stuff on order, I'll share when it arrives.

And my DVD of "The Sea Devils" arrived. Haven't watched it yet, but I've been told it's not good. I bought it cause it sounded interesting, I like ocean life aliens, it was cheap, and it's the only 3rd Doctor story I own besides the Curse of Peladon novel.

In fact, I'm not really sure I've seen a complete Pertwee story.
    Just a few single radom eps.

What a huge universe.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    Juliet316 and darkspine10 like this.
  12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    It's a Tenth Doctor and Rose Tyler era story where the Doctor and Rose discover a statue in a museum that's a startling likeness of Rose and head off back in time to investigate.

And Who is indeed a huge universe.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  13. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    I remember back a few decades ago, when the Target novelizations were still unavailable and we had to go with the Pinnacle Books versions. (They were the Target books with very cool, and sometimes very inaccurate, covers and an intro by Harlan Ellison where he praises "Doctor Who" and curses everything else.) I could actually write to the publisher, get a list of available titles, and get the books through the mail.
    That's like when, way back when, I, on a friend's advice, wrote to Kenner Toys about losing accessories for my action figures, and they sent me a package full of spare guns, lightsabers and capes. For free. Ah, the good old days...

14. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Thanks again for the book suggestions. "The Stone Rose" sounds great. Think I'll order that one.

I'm very pleased that my very first Doctor Who comic book arrived today (aside from a 13th Doctor ish for Free Comic Book Day).

It's a 9th Doctor story called "Weapons of Past Destruction" which collects issues #1-5. It's published by Titan Comics and is hardcover which I like. Gonna read it tonight.

I also started reading the "Rose" paperback that arrived from BBC books Target. It's good so far.

15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If possible, get a copy of the Titan Comics collection "Eighth Doctor - A Matter of Life and Death". It's relatively recent and a grand story for 8 that actually builds to a payoff unlike a lot of the pointless meandering of many DW comic stories.

16. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Yes, I see the cover of "A Matter of Life and Death" here at the ad section in the back of this book I have. It lists 11 other Titan DW releases. "The Weeping Angels of Mons" looks good too. They all look good. I love comics.

But yeah, I'll look up that 8th Doctor comic book and price it. Thanks for the rec.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just saw an ad on the BBC News channel for the new series of Who Do You Think You Are and the first show has Jodie Whittaker finding out about her great-great-grandfather. Show is on Monday Oct 12 from 9-10 PM on BBC One.

18. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    David Tennant did one of those and it was fascinating.

Dagobahsystem and Juliet316 like this.
  19. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I probably won't see it as it's up against Lovecraft Country which I've been recording and watching the next day. I'll look for a repeat of one or the other when I get the TV listing magazine on Saturday.

20. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Sounds exciting

21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    do you not have BBC iplayer?

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    My TV setup is old-school. I think Lovecraft is repeated later at night on Tues or Wed though.

23. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Got it. Sitting right here in hardback from Titan Comics from the BBC ready to read asap.
    Looking forward to it!:cool:

And what do you mean by pointless meandering? You read a lot of message boards do you not? :D

PCCViking, Juliet316 and darkspine10 like this.
  24. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Apologies for posting a double, but it seems my edit window has expired, since last Thorsday, as it were, and upon flipping on DW Classic channel this morning, another brilliant 4th Doctor serial has appeared.

The Horns of Nimon

I've seen parts 1 and 2 so far and am finding it awesome and hilarious and just very entertaining. Too bad the DVD is selling for like $50 or so.

Anyhow, part 3 is starting. This is terrific lol.

Anybody else like The Horns of Nimon?

25. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    So you're saying you've seen parts 1, 2, and... 3?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

:p

The Horns of Nimon is, no joke, one of my and my sisters' favourite Who stories. I even have a Nimon figurine ;)

So many quotable lines:

"Weakling scum!"
    "In the name of the second Sknonnon Empire!"
    "Oh Nimon? Lord Niiiiiiii-mon? It is I... Soldeed."

And then basically every line from the original version of this scene is pure gold :p:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020