main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    I'd love to have the actual TIE Hunter back. Such a neat design.

2. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
  3. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    I dig the idea too, but then again every time I see the Empire make some sort of advancement in its designs I can't help but wonder why the First Order would go a step back (ironically in this case, since this one spawned from TFA concept art).

clone commander bossk likes this.
  4. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I really wish they would show Gideon's remnant with some capital ships like Gladiator and Victory class ships. I just really want to see those on screen.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Even though it is not limited to SW, a new sci-fi starship/station size comparison video has gone up that may be of interest:

Certainly puts things into perspective (never quite realized how "small" SKB was).

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Thanos' ship was pretty small...

7. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I think it'd be great if someone came up with a size comparison for every single Star Wars ship bigger than a GR-75, from both canon and Legends. Don't need to go to the trouble of making detailed models, just a rough silhouette and stick it on a .jpg.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It didn't seem that huge in the film- just large enough for a few of those Q ring ships to dock and to overshadow the avenges compound. Plus we kinda had Captain Marvel as a size comparison too.

9. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    That was cool -- I have little reference on some of those (mostly gamer) franchises but there were some neat deep retro and animated-film dives. And yeah, a few surprises. Like, the Bebop is bigger than I would have thought, I always pictured it as Falcon-sized at best. And props for the last two references -- seems like Ringworld is the only lit-only construct in there, but of course it's one of the easier things ever to extrapolate visually from a written description. (The Dune Highliner seems to have been, somewhat amusingly, from the Lynch film version.)

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, there are some surprises in there. Event Horizon was waaay bigger than I thought and, while I was never a huge Bebop fan, I never got the impression that the ship was that big, either- as you say, it felt much more freighter-sized.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  11. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    That was one nice comparisson video! But I noticed how oversized a lot of scifi ships from other games etc. are without any storyneed to it. SW at least has design add story to its vessels and give them a look that feels like it all makes sense and is needed. Others look rather weird, like overblown geometric shapes without any unique features to them. We can be thankful SW excells at design!

Though, I wish they'd have added more SW craft even from Legends... the Starforge, etc.

Commander_Andersen likes this.
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The simpler geometric ships are probably representational custom models made just for this comparison, rather than an ultra-detailed one.

13. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013

Knowing the original franchises and games... no they are not sadly ;)

14. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    The Hammerhead from 'Space: Above and Beyond' could almost fit into Star Wars.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    A lot of ships could, really, given the variety of design aesthetics (whales to wedges, balls to boxes) different factions, races and continuities provide.

But, yeah, the Hammerhead was always cool. I remember first seeing that back in the day and being like "FINALLY! A starfighter that can shoot forwards and backwards!"

16. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I'd take a squadron of Hammerheads and the USS Saratoga ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

Actually, a modern reboot of Space: Above and Beyond is my dream.

--Adm. Nick

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It'd be pretty amazing if they did- especially since the original show didn't get a fair shake from the network. But, it seems unlikely due to its brevity and relatively obscure nature. I'd probably get my seaQuest reboot before they rebooted SAAB.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  18. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Hey, what exactly are those blue shield things that keep the air inside hangars?

19. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
  20. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    If anyone is curious, measuring the Quasar in Squadrons, it appears to be the same length as the Legends one, 340 meters.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    Chrissonofpear2 and Long Snoot like this.
  21. Long Snoot

Mar 1, 2018
    I wonder how that compares the Arquitens' proportions, since they're supposed to have the same (or a slightly different) bridge module.

22. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    Good question. Once there's a way to get the models out I'll compare them.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    Long Snoot likes this.
  23. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    So it seems like The New Republic tasked
    General Syndulla with protecting the Starhawk project and assigned Captain Wedge Antilles (at least Temporarily) and Vanguard Squadron to the project as well.

Snafu55, Long Snoot and JediBatman like this.
  24. Long Snoot

Mar 1, 2018
    From a Reddit user's post:
    [​IMG]
    It seems they kept the passenger seats for the TIE Bomber from Rebels.

Snafu55 and Tuskin38 like this.
  25. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    The TIE/LN has it's window rotated the way it was in ANH cockpit shots, the Bomber and Interceptor though have it match the outside window orientation.

I think in DICE BF2, the Ln and Interceptor had it like ANH, but the Bomber had it rotated like the outside.

Edit: Wait, the window on the outside of the TIE/Ln is also rotated to match how it appears on the inside. It wasn't that way in Battlefront 2.

(tagged for huge images, not because of any actual spoilers)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    Snafu55 and Sean_Connery like this.