main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Shorts Classics Why is Lucas not getting credit for Droids, Ewoks and Clone Wars'03?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by DartJackson, Sep 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DartJackson

DartJackson Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 26, 2020
    This is probably not an essential question, but still I'm interested. George Lucas is considered to be an Executive Produced for three Star Wars animation series, but does NOT receive real EP screen credit for his work on them (except for "Characters"). The only SW show where Lucas actually gets credit "Creator / EP" is TCW'08. Why?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  2. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Well about 2003 Clone Wars animation, as far as I know it was made without Lucas's involvement, unlike 2008 The Clone Wars Animation, where he was the actual director of the series. So which is also why 2003 Clone Wars animation is not canon while 2008 The Clone Wars Animation is.

3. DartJackson

Aug 26, 2020
    But at the time of the release, CW'2003 was implied by canon. And Lucas is featured in some of the series' creation documentaries. And from them it is clear that he is not a stranger to production.

As far as I know, he held several plot meetings with Tartakovsky, where he outlined the main events that need to be shown.

In Ewoks and Droids, he acted in a similar way. Participated in story meetings with the writers, where he outlined the ideas that he would like to see in the series. He didn't do serials every day, but he had his "hand" in them.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    That's the key difference. He only had a hand in some of the work on the earlier shows, whereas with TCW he was there every day, and had a very direct say on its story. Ewoks, Droids, micro series, he was just giving advice to other people's works; TCW was his work.

And yes, a big reason TCW remained canon was due to it being a direct product of Lucas'.

TCF-1138 and Erkan12 like this.
  5. DartJackson

Aug 26, 2020
    I don't argue with that. But Lucas' work on previous shows was enough to get him credit. And he enjoyed messing with it. Droids and Ewoks clearly bear the imprint of George's production style ;) In CW, he did not interfere with Tartakovsky's vision, but key events came from him. All these series were a kind of passion for Lucas, even if he did not have such a huge relationship with them as with TCW 2008.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I mean that's the answer to your question. We could go all day about how much credit who and who should get, but it doesn't really amount to anything at the end of the day.

As such, since there's little more to discuss, locking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.