main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Is the original unaltered trilogy an alternate universe now?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by jpb19, Sep 25, 2020.

1. jpb19

jpb19 Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2019
    Is it possible that the unaltered trilogy is an alternate universe since the special edition universe is canon with the sequel trilogy since Hayden had roles in both Return of the Jedi and the Rise of Skywalker films? Is it possible that the sequel trilogy never happened in the unaltered trilogy timeline?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  2. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    Yeah, and a much better one. A timeline when Obi-Wan found Anakin on Tatooine and Anakin left with him to fight in the Cone Wars against Owen's wishes. A timeline when Yoda was Obi-Wan's master. A timeline where we don't have Snokes and Starkiller Bases and Phasma's. Just a genuinely better timeline to live in.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  3. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Ah yes, the Cone Wars, bankrolled by the evil Trapezoid Federation and the Confederation of Independent Spheroids. ;)

4. jpb19

jpb19 Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2019
    Does the prequel trilogy even exist in the original unaltered trilogy universe? I am going to say no. The Clone Wars story was provided in EU material I think. Technically, you have alternate versions and endings to the original Star Wars trilogy that involve a multiverse. In my opinion, both unaltered and special editions happened.

5. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    My inability to proofread has doomed me again.

Darth__Lobot and BlackRanger like this.
  6. jpb19

jpb19 Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2019
    I guess you would have to say Solo and Rogue One movies did not happen in the original unaltered trilogy universe either. Were the Death Star plans gathered by different people in the EU tie ins to the first 1977 Star Wars movie that was not called A New Hope at the time, but just Star Wars? Or did the EU come after Return of the Jedi was released?

7. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    No big loss there.

There was a video game in 1995 called DARK FORCES that touched on Kyle Katarn stealing the Death Star plans.

Doompup and indydefense like this.
  8. jpb19

jpb19 Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2019
    I actually want the original unaltered trilogy released on Disney Plus now and legends renamed to multiverse. Disney could have adapted EU material that tied into the classic trilogy. I think a Star Wars multiverse would improve Star Wars especially focusing on a universe that just included unaltered episodes 4 through 6 Information as well as EU stories based on the unaltered classic trilogy. Sadly, this will not happen.

9. antitoxicgamer

antitoxicgamer Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 9, 2020
    By that logic you should also not consider Return of the Jedi and TESB as canon movies then.

-Since the emperor changes his appearance magically from episode 5 to 6.
    -Vader doesn't sense the force inside Leia which is illogical.
    -Vader acts like an incompetent commander in TESB and instead of chasing and destroying the rebels chooses to chase Han and Leia.
    -Rebels somehow manage to beat the empire Stardestroyer fleet in the final battle even though that they were highly outnumbered.
    -Luke somehow manages to become a Jedi by few months training.
    -Jabba was turned into a stupid puppet instead of being a competent crime boss that he was in the deleted scene.
    -Boba was turned into an incompetent bounty hunter in episode 6.
    -And instead of Grand Moffs controlling the emperor it is the emperor controlling them.
    -Vader is a slow fighter in episode 4 but then becomes a faster warrior in episodes 5 and 6.

10. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    The idea of a single "canon" is something I think would be better shattered into a million shards.

Darth__Lobot and darklordoftech like this.
  11. antitoxicgamer

antitoxicgamer Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 9, 2020
    And the idea that some movies are non canon because their stories didn't end up the way you imagined is also dumb.

12. jpb19

jpb19 Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2019
    Lucas doesn't consider the original unaltered trilogy canon anymore. He made the special editions canon and rewrote the original trilogy story before giving it to Disney. He touched up the original movies to be consistent with the prequels. The Vader and Emperor scene in Empire Strikes Back was a rewrite as well as Vader screaming no and Hayden Force ghost in Return of the Jedi. A multiverse verse that allows both versions to be canon and exist in separate timelines is something which Disney could get increase viewership with since they would be able to release the original unaltered trilogy digitally.

As for Lars not wanting Anakin to have become a Jedi, I think this idea will be brought up in Obiwan TV series on Disney plus.

13. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    There is zero need for a "multiverse" because 99.9% of all viewers likely couldn't care less what is canon and what isn't.

You want to picture the story in your head to be what you want it to be?
    Go ahead and just do that, lots and lots of people do it. There simply is no benefit in creating any sort of multiverse. It doesn't serve the story, it doesn't serve the characters, it doesn't add anything to any part of the franchise. It's not like you need an official statement from someone just so you can like something.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  14. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    No.

15. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    Yeah, both DC and MARVEL COMICS had all their fans abandon them once they enacted multiverses...

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Dude, you have to move on. Good things end. Put a tombstone on it. There is a season for excellent Star Wars, and there is a season for ... whatever this is now. It says so exactly in Ecclesiastes. Franchises that can cater to your demand for high sustained quality do exist.

Not a good enough answer? You want OG OT to be canonical?

1) Create some non-profit work in the public sphere that promotes the canonicity of the original OT that is 2) of high enough quality and production value to be 3) widely accepted by some cross-section of likely interested persons. There won't be many. The likeliest candidate market, gen x, is aging out. **** to do. Bills to pay.

You're going to grow if you take the leap of faith and give up this wistful binary sunset.

AndyLGR and Stellarannex like this.
  17. Stellarannex

Stellarannex Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2020
    At the end of the day, everybody has their own head canon. You are allowed to pick and choose what is in yours, and if it is important to you whether Lucas and/or Disney have ever declared something as canon, that's OK. It just has no bearing on my own head canon, which does not include the Disney sequel trilogy.

18. jpb19

jpb19 Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2019
    I am ok with the direction Disney went with regarding the sequels and agree with Abrams on wanting the unaltered trilogy released. Even I understand it is not possible at this point and may never be possible. I own the original unaltered trilogy on DVD laser disc edition. This version actually omits C3PO dialogue that was contained in the theatrical version. I still think it is cool that Star Wars is shown and not episode 4.

19. Bring_My_Shuttle

Bring_My_Shuttle Jedi Master star 1

Oct 22, 2006
    Not sure why Hayden being shoehorned into ROTJ changes canon? It's the same character.

antitoxicgamer likes this.
  20. Stellarannex

Stellarannex Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2020
    It amazes me how often people forget that these movies were released out-of-order, decades apart, and under vastly different conditions during each "trilogy era" ('77-'83, '99-'05, '15-'19). This alone should explain any discrepancies.

Trying to tie them all into one cohesive canon is an exercise in futility. I suggest maybe canonizing the stuff that you like and for the parts that sucked...just don't.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  21. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    never cared for the EU. For me as ab avid reader.. star wars seemed wholly cinematic

22. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    feel lucky to br able to join the dots and seem them as one.. like the four gospels they were written in different times.. legends are always written like this

indydefense likes this.
  23. Jedi_Prophet77

Jedi_Prophet77 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2017
    Maybe it's a 'Legend'.

24. In my headcanon the original is the Legends version of the movies

25. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I'd say anything not accepted by GL as part of his Star Wars exists in an alternate universe.

That's not to say Lucasverse = good and Alternate Star Wars = bad, it's just the reality of it.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    indydefense and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.