main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Most "unbelievable" EU stories

Discussion in 'Literature' started by President Bossk, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Probably KOTOR2. As good of a game as it is, you go from the Republic and Jedi just coming high from a victory to the Jedi being completely purged by three guys and a tiny fleet led by a broken warship barely holding itself together. I can kind of excuse SWTOR writers almost completely ignoring KOTOR2, given how its story wildly diverges from the previous game.

2. antitoxicgamer

antitoxicgamer Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 9, 2020
    Another story that came to my mind:
    Star Wars Dark Forces 2: Kyle learns the ways of the force by a little instruction from Rahn and beating the levels which is good for video game story but is completely inconsistent with Star Wars lore. Kyle also manages to beat Jerec whom the guides say that was as powerful as Darth Vader.
    I remember at that time it didn't bother me at all since the OT movies never even mentioned him at all.(Which made me think that he went to hiding after TFU and Leia denied any involvement with his father that allowed her to remain on the imperial Senate.)

I think that whole idea of "Bail was on Alderaan when Death Star blew it up." was made by EU stories and wasn't really canon at that time.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It certainly got mentioned in Marvel SW.

Leia mentions him, just not by name - and says he's on Alderaan, in her first message. The longer novel version of the message, used the name Bail Organa:

I have placed information vital to the survival of the Rebellion into the memory systems of this R2 unit. My father will know how to retrieve it. You must see this droid safely delivered to him on Alderaan. This is our most desperate hour. Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.

"General Obi-wan Kenobi," the mellifluous voice was saying, "I present myself in the name of the world family of Alderaan and of the Alliance to Restore the Republic. I break your solitude at the bidding of my father, Bail Organa, Viceroy and First Chairman of the Alderaan system."
    Kenobi absorbed this extraordinary declamation while Luke's eyes bugged big enough to fall from his face.
    "Years ago, General," the voice continued, "you served the Old Republic in the Clone Wars. Now my father begs you to aid us again in our most desperate hour. He would have you join him on Alderaan. You must go to him.
    "I regret that I am unable to present my father's request to you in person. My mission to meet personally with you has failed. Hence I have been forced to resort to this secondary method of communication.
    "Information vital to the survival of the Alliance has been secured in the mind of this Detoo 'droid. My father will know how to retrieve it. I plead with you to see this unit safely delivered to Alderaan."
    She paused, and when she continued, her words were hurried and less laced with formality. "You must help me, Obi-wan Kenobi. You are my last hope. I will be captured by agents of the Empire. They will learn nothing from me. Everything to be learned lies locked in the memory cells of this 'droid. Do not fail us, Obi-wan Kenobi. Do not fail me."

4. antitoxicgamer

Sep 9, 2020
    But was that really considered canon ? I remember GL only considered movies to be canon.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I tend to look at it this way - Lucas made it clear that when Leia sent that message, she was expecting Bail to be on Alderaan, waiting for Artoo.

Then he has Tarkin destroy Alderaan - and Leia's father is never referenced again.

Makes sense that in Lucas's eyes, he died with his planet.

Marvel, and all other EU sources that were explicit about Bail's death, were just following Lucas's lead.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    AusStig, Nom von Anor, jSarek and 7 others like this.
  6. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    As @Iron_lord says, ANH does have Leia say Bail is on Alderaan, and the implication is definitely that he's on the planet when it's destroyed. Otherwise we probably would have seen him at some point in the OT.

Besides, this is a thread about the most unbelievable EU stories on the Literature thread. I don't think it's unreasonable to discuss plot elements that seem incongruous with other EU works rather than with the movies specifically.

The Empire doesn't seem very hot on due process and innocent until proven guilty. Leia would be an idiot to serve on the Senate if Bail was a confirmed Rebel. She's be captured and tortured the minute she set foot on Coruscant (as indeed she was in ANH as soon as Vader had any proof she was aiding the Rebellion).

7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well the nice thing about TUF is it one of the most ignorable EU things out there considering how little it effects wide EU material coming out at the time (Granted that's also because TUF was near the tail end of Star Wars Legends)

Heck Dark Empire effects other material more...TCW 2008 as well funny enough.

8. antitoxicgamer

Sep 9, 2020
    I think it was because of this that George Lucas didn't like Starkiller character for some reason.(Even though that at the beginning of TFU development, the team wasn't anxious to "recreate the force" in that game and yet George told them to do it and not to worry if Starkiller becomes like an overpowered character.)

It was even advised to not mention Starkiller's name to George at all according to this article:
    https://www.gameinformer.com/b/feat...he-darth-maul-game-that-never-came-to-be.aspx

9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...Geez. It really is impossible to overstate how bizarre late-period Lucas became, isn't it?

10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Yeah....Man we missed out

It's the only reason I wish the buyout didn't happen just to see the coninutiy implode .

I would have had fun [face_devil]

11. antitoxicgamer

Sep 9, 2020
    I kinda feel that old age might do this to all of us.

12. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
  13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

14. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    While I have not read about Abaloth, and only watched videos about her, I would have to say that she one of the most unbelievable things about the EU. She feels more like a Lovecraft character than a Star Wars character.

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Name even sounds like one - Azathoth.

16. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    Starkiller as a name is really overdone. Every time I hear it in Star Wars I can feel the creator sliding up to me and smugly intoning "you probably don't know this, but 'Starkiller' was actually Luke's original last name", and my eyes are at serious risk of falling out of my head they're rolling so much.

17. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Is it really overused? The only two famous Starkiller are the person and the superweapon

I had to look up on the wook and while technically there are other Starkiller there aren't many that I know off

JediBatman likes this.
  18. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    *shrug* Feels it to me.

StartCenterEnd likes this.
  19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    adalmentia and Nom von Anor like this.
  20. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Was that the same interview where he did the Lauren Bacall impersonation? Probably the peak "wut" moment from Big George for me.

21. Cracian_Thumper

Cracian_Thumper Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    I thought they just took the name from the aboleth (a D&D monster inspired by Lovecraft) and switched two letters. I could never take it seriously because of that.

22. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    I can't believe there was a post-ROTJ story where a grandchild of Palpatine hung out with Luke, Leia and Han, or one with Palpatine coming back from the dead or the stories when the Empire built another superweapon.

Glad they wiped that EU. Imagine if those stories were canon!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  23. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    What EU are you talking about ?
    According to Kathleen Kennedy there was no EU and they had nothing to work with before they did the ST [face_waiting]

https://www.rollingstone.com/featur...rview-rise-skywalker-future-star-wars-912393/

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  24. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    Yeah, getting pretty old now guys. How about you take the whining about the Sequel Trilogy to the ST forum. This is a discussion about the EU.

25. antitoxicgamer

Sep 9, 2020
    At least GL also made some good decisions too. He stopped the TFU developers from making Star Wars Holiday Special game edition.(Wookie warrior)
    That was supposed to be a story-focused game where the protagonist growls at every other character.

TFU was a far better choice than that Wookie warrior game.(which was going to be a laughing stock of Star Wars games.)

JediBatman likes this.