main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Do you think Alden Ehrenreich should have played Han's son in the ST instead of playing him in Solo?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthVist, Sep 30, 2020.

Tags:
?

Do you think Alden Ehrenreich should have played Han's son instead of playing him?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    78.9%
  3. I have mixed feelings

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthVist

DarthVist Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 20, 2019
    I think Anthony Ingruber would have been a better choice for playing Han Solo in the movie "Solo" insteadof Alden Ehrenreich.

Anthony Ingruber just looks more like Harrison Ford than Alden Ehrenreich does.

However, I think Alden Ehrenreich would have been a good choice for playing Han Solo's son if Disney went with the original plans for the Sequel Trilogy.

Here's concept art for the original plans for Episodes VII, VIII, and IX:
    [​IMG]
    The character on the right's name is Kira, and the character on the left's name is Sam. It was obvious that Sam was supposed to be Han and Leia's original planned son for the Sequel Trilogy.

Honestly, Alden Ehrenreich looks more like Sam than he does Han Solo.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    CampOfSorgan, IgnusDei and Riv_Shiel like this.
  2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    No way. That guy just looks like a stand up comedian doing Harrison Ford. Alden was much better.

wobbits likes this.
  3. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    I've been leaning on, purely looks wise, Dacre Montgomery for Young Han.
    I wouldn't say that.

4. FromDromundKaasWithLove

FromDromundKaasWithLove Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2020
    Honestly, I do think he looks much more like he could be the son of Han and Leia than Adam Driver did.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    ...and maybe we would have gotten a different story, which was not about demanding that Kylo be viewed in a certain light, elevating him above other characters, or demanding that his melodrama be taken seriously because he’s played by Adam Driver.

Driver could have been included as a Resistance operator similar to Dan from The Report. As opposed to Adam Sackler or his character from A Marriage Story.

6. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    It's largely academic, but I thought Alden was perfectly fine as a young Han Solo, and I'm not sure he is physically imposing enough to have played Kylo Ren (if that's what is being suggested)... but yes, he could have played Han's son in a different incarnation. However, IMHO, it's not about being physically identical to Harrison Ford, be it in actual looks or mannerisms, but wether he can capture the 'essence' of who the character is or was. For example, and I'm sure there are more examples, Robert De Niro was brilliant as a young Vito Corleone in The Godfather II, but De Niro doesn't really look anything like a younger Marlon Brando.

CampOfSorgan and wobbits like this.
  7. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    No, he was good in Solo.

Anthony Ingruber is an impressionist. I don't think that's a particularly notable qualification for most big production studios.

8. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    No, I thought Alden delivered a strong, believable performance as a young Han Solo in Solo.

As for Kylo, my issues with his character weren't that he was played by Adam Driver but were with various conceptual and structural aspects that I've mentioned in other threads, so having Alden play Kylo wouldn't have changed my opinion of his character or the ST in general.

In short, I didn't have a problem with Alden as a young Han Solo, and my issues with Kylo weren't with the actor who played him, so to me, having Alden play Han's son in the ST wouldn't address or resolve any issues that I do have.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree with all this, but I think some of the narrative around Kylo had to do with favoritism towards the actor, specifically the thinking that telling us that Kylo is “conflicted” while Driver emotes, would be enough. I don’t know that the narrative would be as strong with Alden.

10. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Doubtful. You cast someone as Han solo and Leia's son. you do something with him.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  11. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I wouldn't trade Adam Driver for anyone.

And for me, Ehrenreich is easily the best performance in Solo.

lovethedarkside and CampOfSorgan like this.
  12. Darth Nobunaga

Darth Nobunaga Jedi Master star 2

Jun 1, 2018
    If Kylo was played by someone other than Driver, but still written the same, I don't think a different casting would have helped.

13. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I enjoyed Solo and I think that Ehrenreich really captured the charisma and swagger of Han Solo. Personally, a movie about a young Han Solo wasn’t at the top of my wish list, but it was an enjoyable romp.

As far as Ehrenreich playing Han and Leia’s son goes, I’m not sure that he would have been suited to the role as it stands. Kylo Ren was intentionally very different in character from Han and I don’t think that Ehrenreich would have brought the gravitas that Driver did to the role.

Had the sequels followed a different storyline with Han’s son being a chip-off-the-old-block smuggler, then Ehrenreich would have been a solid choice.

14. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Alden is too Han and not enough Anakin.

15. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    I enjoyed Alden as Han. I think he looks more like the son of Han and Leia than Adam Driver does. Personally, Adam Driver has never believably looked like the son of Harrison Ford or Carrie Fisher to me. But, Adam Driver captured the material they clearly wanted for Kylo Ren. I'm not sure Alden would've been the correct choice they were clearly looking for in the "Jedi Killer." If he'd only been Ben Solo, and not Kylo Ren, Alden may have been a good choice.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree. My question is whether he would have been written the same.

17. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Nah. Alden actually made me like the character of Han Solo, who I was never crazy about. However, if he were playing Sam in the George Lucas ST, I can get behind that.

18. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Adam Driver doesn’t look a thing like Ford or Fisher, let alone any combination of their genes. Alden looks closer to that but since Kylo doesn’t work as a character anyway, I doubt he would have been a better Kylo. The character is the problem. I couldn’t buy “I’m being torn apart” from Driver because of his lack of emotion but the bits I saw of Alden as Han, no way he could have done those tantrums. He’d look ridiculous (not that Driver didn’t but at least he was broody. Alden looks like a smirky assistant coach on a Big Ten football team).

19. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I think Alden nailed Han's character and mannerisms perfectly. Solo was a fun film. Alden definitely could have passed for Han and Leia's son more than Driver, but the character of Kylo was written poorly and beyond that I was not impressed with Driver's emoting anyway. I wouldn't wish that lack of story on Alden.

20. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    In looks, Alden might have an advantage looking like Han's kid, but since Kylo was supposed to be a bad guy and his lanky, pale, and tall figure made for an intimidating presence when used well, I don't think it's really that big of a disadvantage.

Both are great actors... and the issue with Kylo is far more to do with bad writing than anything with his actor.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I'm no big Kylo fan but I think Adam is a much better actor.

22. Trev Elyt

Trev Elyt Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 22, 2019
    I thought Adam Driver was perfectly cast in his role and I don’t think anyone else could’ve done it better. Alden did a great job in Solo, but I don’t think he could’ve done what Adam Driver did with the character of Kylo Ren (or whatever the equivalent of Han’s son would’ve been in another version of the Sequel Trilogy).

23. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I actually think that most of the male actors LFL has hired in the a Disney era could do an efficient and successful job at Kylo in the ST, given how shallow the role wound up being... but I would also argue that’s because they knew that the type of Kylo they wanted fit Driver’s more specialized skill set better.

Driver is utterly fantastic at the kind of introverted and restrained intensity they desired for Kylo, which led to the “mirage” effect where people saw more in Kylo than was actually included in the substance of the character.

Someone like Ehrenreich has a more extroverted charm and skill, and thus might be more likely to expose the flaws in the character - without that particular tenor of introverted angst that Driver is a master of, the fact he’s not actually that deep of a character can’t be hidden.

Ehrenreich feels more like a natural fit for a “Sam” version of the character, and in terms of looks, would be a perfect casting job for Jacen Solo from the old Legends EU... though I think Boyega’s charisma and skill set also fit the elements of Sam that survived into TFA pretty much perfectly.

Trev Elyt likes this.
  24. Trev Elyt

Trev Elyt Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 22, 2019
    I think you make some great points! I guess I also should’ve prefaced my post by saying that I’m a MASSIVE Adam Driver fan and he was a huge reason why I enjoyed the sequels. I’m sure someone like Alden could’ve done well with the character if it was written more as what the “Sam” version of the character was, but I love Adam Driver and because I’ve already seen him in the role as Han and Leia’s son, I can’t imagine anyone else doing it because I loved him so much as Kylo.

godisawesome likes this.
  25. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    He didn't though, so this doesn't really need its own thread. Locking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.