main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Discussion Time: Let's Talk About Drafts - next draft?

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Sep 13, 2007.

1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yeah, it also goes back further than 1885 right?

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Yeah - back to 1871

(that sound you hear is Pointy thinking about what that might mean for Old Hoss)

Point Given and Wang Chi like this.
  3. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Would it be possible to shift entirely into a beat reporter role

But taking Addie as my colleague b/c he will never play for dp. Ever.

4. Wang Chi

Wang Chi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Oh wow. 1871 + the Negro League are massive game changers.

And also my two for-sure keepers (Ruth and Hornsby) might be oil and water.

Okay... I suggest this knowing full well that it'll piss off the GMs that have extra keeper slots and also that deeps won't be penalized for his shenanigans... but this being so, so different (and likely much better) from what we're currently doing, maybe we should do a full re-draft and start the keepers after next season.

Anustart, if you will.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  5. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    No. I will watch Shane Spencer play like Shane Spencer. I will watch it and smile.

6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    as someone with 5 keeper slots i just want to say that i'd actually be fine with starting the keepers after next season if that's what the majority of gm's prefer.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I do think you should get those 5 rolled over to Season 5... seems fair.

8. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    Look I don't want to be a negative nancy but the ball hadn't even been invented in 1871. They were using turnips. Most of them were missing body parts from the war. If you had all of your legs you were an all-star.

9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I am 100% in favor of keeping the keepers as intended from this season.

• Junking it would be an unfair punishment to Pointy, who gets nothing of value for giving up on Pete Alexander
      • There are potentially others who made similar decisions just not as obvious
    • Everyone has the option to change years on their keepers
    • I'm planning on doing a "what could have been" for rosters from a snapshot during this season to show everyone how their players would have performed in the new sim
    • I'm happy to introduce a "keeper buy back" opportunity should a GM want to not utilize their keeper slot
    • It's ****ing cool to carryover something from season to season besides tom's team's name and Pointy winning

Point Given and tom like this.
  10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    keeping the keepers is my preference as well, just wanted to say that i would go the other way if everyone else felt strongly about it.

11. a star war

May 4, 2016
    Yeah I definitely want to keep people

12. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I was all in already and now I am more...inner...

Amazing.

13. Wang Chi

Mar 3, 2013
    To be clear, I'm cool with keeping keepers as well. I'm more than satisfied with my trio, even if the third one is kinda up in the air now. I just thought I'd suggest it given how many more things there are to consider when building a team now.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm keeping Shane Spencer, Joba Chamberlain, and Howard the Duck!

15. a star war

May 4, 2016
    I don't want to do more work.

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm putting this in stone and charging him Intybucks if he wants to change

tom and dp4m like this.
  17. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Yeah I want my keepers. Made the trade so I could keep all four of Bonds, A-Rod, Old Hoss and Trout.

Wang Chi and tom like this.
  18. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    yes to keepers. mantle will win an mvp for the bandwagoners before i die and/or forget about the jcc.

19. Wang Chi

Mar 3, 2013
    I'd say that settles that. Cool beans.

20. a star war

May 4, 2016
    I actually wouldn't mind no keepers, but then I would be on the hook for some kind of compensation for PG, whatever that might be.

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I would absolutely love a co-host and with all the updates we can provide, it would warrant it

And, I mean, like ... the rules don't prevent a GM from taking a keeper and not playing next year. So, you could theoretically remove Joss, Ted Williams, and Sean Casey from the game until your triumphant return. I think.

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Alright, so I promised you all some previews of how players/teams do in the new sim. Some caveats:

1) The new sim requires a 40-man roster due to injuries, etc. They create fake players. I went through and made sure opening day rosters had no fake players, but I can't guarantee that going forward.
    2) the rosters are built from a snapshot of what rosters looked like at some point in the season, not at season end. I had to play around with the new sim to figure out how to batch import so I didn't have to manually add every player. There are errors, but this should be directionally accurate.
    3) I'll wait to sim more to see if anyone wants to see more info.
    4) Just ... ignore player pictures. Some are bad and some are really, really, bad

Here are some excerpts, about one month into the season:

Standings:

[​IMG]

Basic Batting Leaders:

[​IMG]

Basic Pitching Leaders:

[​IMG]

WAR for position players:

[​IMG]

News Examples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Juliet316 and Wang Chi like this.
  23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I love that only Amazings look Amazing in the fake sim... :p

Also, what is the new sim and how do we view players in it?

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm using Out of the Park 21

And I'm not sure what you mean by view players

25. a star war

May 4, 2016
    He means scouting, I'm guessing.