main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census As of now, which franchise is the highest quality of this bunch?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 23, 2018.

?

As of now, which franchise is the highest quality of this bunch?

1. Star Wars (Prequels, Sequels, Anthologies, TV Shows, Originals)

2. Middle-Earth (The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales)

3. Wizarding World (Harry Potter, Fantastic Beasts, Cursed Child)

4. A Song of Ice and Fire / Game of Thrones

5. Marvel Cinematic Universe (including Spider-Man, X-Men)

6. DC Extended Universe (including Nolan's Batman)

7. Star Trek

8. Jurassic Park/World

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Still refuse to vote and kind of want to lock the thread with a “take it to the fecal force”

2. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
  3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean the thread was dead until someone decided to post a gif

4. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Star Wars followed closely by Harry Potter

Princess_Tina likes this.
  5. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Star Wars still on top, even though most of Disney stuff has been lackluster.

Second is Star Trek, third is Middle Earth

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  6. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    For me, Star Wars is still ahead of the pack. I couldn’t vote against a franchise that contains the OT and Prequels. DC Extended Universe is a respectable second (primarily because of Nolan’s Batman trilogy and Joker).

Emperor Ferus and Glitterstimm like this.
  7. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    DC is definitely underrated imo, I'd argue that Batman vs Superman was the best superhero movie of the 2010's

Very interested to see the Snyder Cut

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    Dannik Jerriko likes this.
  8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Shouldn't you be working on that, Zack?

annikinstarkiller likes this.
  9. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    Worry about your own cancelled career, Joss

10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    They're all bad.

11. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    Pray for Dune MCU, which will probably get torn to shreds before it has a chance to even open its eyes

Princess_Tina likes this.
  12. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Are we counting down from zero?

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    and I thought I drank too much.

14. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    It might sound crazy, but I actually still think it's SW lol.
    After all if you include The Mandalorian SW still offers a lot of good stuff.

In fairness, I don't know Star Trek well enough, but for all the others...

The Hobbit movies are unbearable.
    GoT has been awful the last two seasons and the finale is a complete joke.
    Marvel's movies are all forgettable except IW (in the literal sense that I forgot everything about them 10 days after viewing them).
    DC is good only when Nolan is the director.

what's left ?

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    The only other franchise I like even close to Star Wars is Avatar: The Last Airbender

Emperor Ferus and Ghost like this.
  16. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    John Difool.

17. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    That there wasn't an Other option for the poll in criminal.

The Dune EU in a single volume is still better than the entire Star Wars Disney EU.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  18. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    The OT are better movies, but the MCU has been made into the best franchise with breadth and depth. Rogue One was a step towards that, but otherwise it hasn't

Coruscant and poor yorick like this.
  19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    This poll is focused on the Books/Comics too.

And even if only counting cinema, the Lord of the Rings movies are much more what people go to when they think Middle Earth, and they're fantastic.

3sm1r likes this.
  20. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Pff I challenge everyone to tell me the plot of Ironman 2 or 3 without googling it.

Edit
    @Ghost ok I'm only talking about the movies. And The Hobbit destroys everything that was good about LoTR

SuperWatto likes this.
  21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So if you're only talking about books/comics, which would you vote for?

And the Hobbit movies don't destroy what came before (unlike the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy). They are very much supplemental/optional. Not nearly as bad as people think.

22. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Nothing will ever equate Tolkien's work. It's not even a fair comparison.

I'm confused. Shouldn't we make a sort of average of everything produced about a franchise?

blackmyron likes this.
  23. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    Star Wars: OT and PT are an unimpeachable masterpiece, puts them on top of everything else. R1 was good, ST bad, Solo bad.

Middle Earth: LOTR movie trilogy is good, first Hobbit movie good, other two are meh. I read The Hobbit and Fellowship of the Ring when I was a kid. I enjoyed them, but I'm too dumb to tell you how good they are.

Wizarding World: I've only seen the the main movies, read the first four books. Goblet of Fire is best imo, but they are not that good overall, and I'm increasingly convinced they have done as much damage to liberal politics as Sorkin.

Song of Ice and Fire: I've read all the books, and they're quite fun. I enjoyed the way Martin tells stories about telling stories. There are whole chapters where characters just recall memories, and we later hear different perspectives on the same events, which looks at the way history is invented. I think the overriding theme of the series is nostalgia, which is appropriate for our cultural moment that often feels like a giant recycling machine. The tv show was good for first 3 seasons but went downhill fast afterwards, especially when they deviated from the books. Not super excited for Martin to finish the books, but I'll probably read them just to see what he does.

MCU: I've never really been into comics. I think the only comic series I ever really got into was TinTin. That's not to say comics are bad, I just don't know enough to have a reference point. I started reading the Saga series by Brian K. Vaughan and was impressed, but haven't finished. Back in the day I was into some Image stuff, Spawn, Wildcats, Gen13. The MCU movies are pretty much trash, the ultimate manifestation of empty, low effort, over-promoted, substance-free spectacle, or as Martin Scorsese put it, "Worldwide Audio Visual Entertainment". They are designed to be the consumer culture equivalent of Valium, consult your doctor before ingesting. Winter Soldier is good, Black Panther is good, but Kilmonger is the hero.

DCU: Dark Knight, Batman vs Superman, and Joker are good. Everything else, is bad. Again, not really into comics so don't know much there. I read Red Son out of curiosity, very entertaining.

Star Trek: DS9 is my favorite, TNG close second, Voyager, Enterprise and Picard are tier lower but still a lot of fun. Favorite movie is Voyage Home for nostalgic reasons, all the Kirk movies are great. First Contact is best TNG movie, others are meh. I tried watching Discovery, didn't like it, maybe I should give it another try, idk. Haven't read any Star Trek books. I really like Star Trek overall and rank it second after Star Wars, but I can't claim to be a hardcore fan.

Jurassic Park: First movie is an all time classic, second is hilarious, the rest are trash. Jurassic Park novel is not my favorite from Crichton, I liked Sphere much more, but all his books are kind of the same iirc, besides Eaters of the Dead. I will say though, Hollywood sci-fi was much better when it was being pushed by guys like Crichton rather than Young Adult stuff.

Now go ahead, roast me for liking what you dislike and disliking what you like.

Ghost likes this.
  24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You lost me at PT. They’re ****ing ****.

poor yorick and 3sm1r like this.
  25. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    no worries bro

3sm1r likes this.