main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Federer/Nadal/Djokovic Era - Now 1/3rd Over

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Jan 17, 2013.

1. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    As always, when this thread is upped I fear that Nadal has lost, but then I remember that he isn't playing in the Open.

2. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Man I nearly turned off the match after the first set. Osaka's really coming back.

3. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Thiem played such a solid match yesterday. Seems like no one beats Medvedev in straight sets. But he did it. I'm really looking for the final tomorrow. I don't know who to root for in the women's finals, like them both so much.

4. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
  5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    congrats to osaka and thiem on enduring a bizarre us open after a long layoff - both are deserving champs.

Juliet316 and Rylo Ken like this.
  6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    And yet... It was probably a better experience for her than it was last year.

heels1785 likes this.
  7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    ^ yes. the absence of fans > "i'M a MoThER!"

Juliet316 likes this.
  8. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I went to bed with Thiem down 4-1 in the second, about 11:30 pm here. Glad I did, or I would have been up until 3am.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  9. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Okay now that the tournament is over with, I can say this. I go back to watching Jimmy Connors out dueling Ivan Lendl in the 82' US Open when I was four years old and this has NOTHING to do with the efforts of the players that were in the tournament. They gave everything they had on the court. And I am happy the tournament was able to be played/finished especially with no cases. That said? That was by far the worst GD US Open I ever seen. They really missed having many top players not there especially in the men's draw as Rafa's absence and incredible as it is to say this, they are missing the crowds more then any other sport right now particularly that tournament being NYC as they say takes on the life of the city. Plus the way ESPN handled their coverage was just horrific. Okay I get they wanted to give it the "feel" of it being like any other US Open where they would interview celebrities during matches (John Madden was a staple there for years and years) but those interviews were typically short and had this fun little vibe to it. The "guest interviews" they had during matches went on forever! And it is way different to interview someone remotely watching the matches at home then it is when the US Open is packed and alive with people. I will NEVER EVER this US Open has a * to it since that is unfair to the players who again gave it there all especially the winners but man that felt like nothing more then a stinking pre Grand Slam tournament that just happen to be played at Flushing Meadows.

The plan right now is to have some speculators at the French in a month so maybe that will give it more of a feel that it is French Open but some players are not happy about it and I been reading cases are going up like crazy there so unless that changes, I think they will not let fans come.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  10. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  11. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Wawrinka and Thiem through to the third round. If they win their respective matches they meet each other in the next round. Something to look forward to!

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  12. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I was worried that Nadal would have to/get to play both US Open finalists on his way to Djokovic, now maybe not.

13. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    With Thiem out we're now down to three options: Djokovic closes the gap with Nadal to a single win, Nadal becomes an undisputed co-equal GOAT with Federer (argue away) or we get a first time major champion.

14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

Juliet316 and Rylo Ken like this.
  15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    [​IMG]

16. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Meanwhile Djokovic lost his first set of the tournament.

Luke02 likes this.
  17. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    A what?

Rylo Ken likes this.
  18. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    what's the term of art? Noob?

19. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I mean more in the sense that by law, I don't think they're allowed so long as Federer/Nadal/Djokovic are still active.

20. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Thiem did it. Sort of.

21. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    How quickly we forget Stanislas the Manislas

heels1785 and Rylo Ken like this.
  22. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    sorry that first set was just a glitch. Nole back on track for utter subjugation.

23. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Storm back in the second set though and is now up 2 sets to 1.

I am trying to figure out Sofia Kenin's career track potential. Is she another Lleyton Hewitt who was a Top 5 player for a few years but as being strictly a defensive counterpuncher seem to not last that long as truly a elite player or she got more game then that?

24. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I think Kvitova will roll over her so maybe we can defer that conversation. Unless she wins. Then not.

25. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Yeah @Rylo Ken, Kvitova is a bad matchup for Sofia though if she is erratic I can see Sofia pulling the upset up. I wonder if the weather is going to have any effect.