main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Music in Future Films

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by InterestingLurker, Feb 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I don't know that Williams has ever confirmed it, but Imperial March is widely regarded as Williams' take on that Chopin number, right down to the similar title.

dolphin and Bor Mullet like this.
  2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    His Harry Potter score borrows from "Swan Lake", too. He's still a genius, but like most musicians, he borrows/steals from his heroes.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    PymParticles and Bor Mullet like this.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Try listening to Dvorak's 4th movement of the New World Symphony and then the original SW throne room score. One theme can segue right into the other.

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes. Exactly. I picked up a box set of Dvorak vinyl a few years back at the record shoppe and nearly fell when that began playing. It was revelatory.

Sarge likes this.
  5. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    Saint Saëns and this exoticism too. I posted it in another thread.

6. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Squadrons has just bumped Gordy Haab up in my list, probably second behind Giacchino

InterestingLurker likes this.
  7. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    That good, huh? I've been hearing good things about this game overall... Should I get it, I wonder?

8. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    mhmm

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  9. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Gonna listen right now after I finish Dmitri Shostakovich's Thirteenth Symphony...

^ Shameless plug-in is shameless...

10. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Here's a new track by Michael Giacchino and Nouvelle Modernica Orchestra. It's like the music of Martin Denny, Arthur Lyman, and Les Baxter, featuring Molly Shannon (actually Allison-Eve Hammersley, but I like to think it's Molly Shannon). This really makes me want an exotica soundtrack for a Star Wars film or series. Perhaps for The Calrissian Chronicles.

11. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Calrissian Chronicles? Is that actually a thing?

12. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    We've heard rumors of a Lando series for Disney+, and The Calrissian Chronicles is simply my hope for the show's name.

Bor Mullet and InterestingLurker like this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    It’s also a thing in-universe, as Lando notes while recording an entry in the Chronicles while in the Falcon.

14. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    James Newton Howard is absolutely my first choice. If not him I wouldn’t mind seeing what Hans Zimmer does with a Star Wars property.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The priority should be to meet the needs of the story taking place. If the story isn’t classically epic in the traditional Star Wars sense (as Solo wasn’t), then the score shouldn’t be overly operatic or classical. Solo, I think, should have had both a more fun and gritty score, akin to the Mandalorian. With even a slight space-punk edge, to fit the vibe. Instead it was Williams-lite with a touch of old Hollywood, and it just didn’t work that well. In terms of approach, future composers should follow the example of Goransson. Don’t chain yourself to what Star Wars was. Look at the actual film or show you’re scoring, and give it the sound that best suits it.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  16. Darth Polo

Darth Polo Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 2020
    They really need to try some new songs. Still, I really like to original song and opener. I think that trying out different combinations and new instruments would really be fun to have a new kick to the same old Star Wars tunes we are so used to. I am not good with music but the skill and craft is just so vast that it is sad that the many areas are not being tested to bring new juice and energy and life to scenes and can act as a huge wake up to a fan seeing the movie for the first time, to listen to a song that was never played that way before. Depending on the actual race and ethnicity and religion of the human actor or could be the Alien race from the film, the instruments and flow and way the songs are played would change to act as foreshadowing and introduction of said character. There is a lot that can be done with the music and song choice in Star Wars films.

17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    @Darth Polo I think the Mandalorian soundtrack meets your challenge and then some. Filmmakers have likely taken note.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    dolphin likes this.
  18. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I think the best reference for the post-Williams music for SW needs to be RO's score. A fantastic performance by Giacchino that combines Williams references with new themes. To me it achieves what SW music, what Williams music, has always achieved: just by hearing the music, you inmediately know what scene of the movie is that theme part of.

A big mistake would be following the influences of the latest Hans Zimmer works (still shocked how his take got approved for Blade Runner 2049), or even Ludwig Göransson, whose Mandalorian music might be good for a SW western, but is far from the memorable pieces by Williams.

19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    No, a big mistake would be to apply Williams-esque music to all Star Wars stories, no matter the tone, storytelling mode and style of those stories. Giacchino's score was perfectly suited for Rogue One, which was an epic war film. While Göransson's music was perfectly suited for the funky space western that is the Mandalorian. And is incredibly memorable, to boot (the Mando theme has been buzzing in my head for over a year now). The key is, as Williams did, to apply the music that suits the story. Slavishly following a style of music, even if it doesn't suit the film it's being applied to, is a recipe for stagnation. George wouldn't approve of that, IMO.

The main reference points should be the Star Wars films being scored in that moment, IMO, not...other scores from other Star Wars films. Unless, of course, the latter are narratively and stylistically directly tied to the former.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    Sarge, EHT, TCF-1138 and 1 other person like this.
  20. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I used to completely disagree with this, as I felt Star Wars needed "Star Wars music". Like, I'd be fine with new themes and such of course, but I wanted the Williams-esque sound. The early seasons of TCW tried all manners of techno and rock and stuff, which I thought proved (to me) that my instincts were right. I started liking the TCW music much more when it turned more Williams in its style.

However, the music in The Mandalorian has completely changed my mind. Star Wars does need "Star Wars music", but The Mandalorian proves that "Star Wars music" can be very, very diverse types of music. Göransson's work in that show is pure SW (and pure brilliance), even though it bares little resemblance to John Williams.

In short: yup, you're right.

EHT and Bor Mullet like this.
  21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    This amount of agreement has gotta hurt! ;)

Anyway, well said. As a point of some contrast, my response to the early TCW music experiments was simply that the music wasn’t very good, not that it wasn’t Star Warsy enough. Then Gorannson came along and made amazing music that wasn’t Williams-esque, and thus single-handedly blew open the musical landscape of Star Wars. I think he’s a genius. And the degree to which he shapes the aural future of Star Wars will prove it, IMO.

In short, yeah. You’re right.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    TCF-1138 likes this.
  22. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Obviously. :p

Seriously though, you're right.
    The music in the last couple of episodes of TCW further proves that non-JW music can be SW music.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed! You’re right. I’m right. We’re right. What we said is the way. :boba:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  24. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    Johnny Williams is 88 years old. I'm sure he still has some SW music left in him!

Sarge likes this.
  25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Please, Patty Jenkins, no Kenny Loggins in Rogue Squadron.

Riv_Shiel likes this.