main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I do take heart that if I really needed the money I could just read comics for free on some law breaking web page on the web. But until then I like buying comics I do I do.

Catwoman 25
    Batman 99, didn't realize the 100th issue was coming up.
    Iron Man 1, yep, a new series. Maybe this will be in better hands and they can drop that badly delivered robot rights thing.
    Thor 7, I see Spider-Man, Captain Marvel, Iron Man, and Groot trying to grab the hammer.
    Hellions 4
    Excalibur 12
    Captain America 23
    X-men 12
    Giant Size X-men Storm 1
    Detective Comics 1027 which is a 144 page 1,000 issue anniversary of The Dark Knight
    Heavy Metal 300. I have not bought one of these in a looooooooooooooooooong time, but saw "300" and went for it.

2. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Cap 23, Sharon Carter has been drawn as an elderly woman in this series. This issue is sued to make her young again as she uses the Patriot armor to subdue Selene, and the amulet she wore is used to bring Sharon back to youth.

Storm Giant X-men, I am a Russell Dauterman art fan and he did this issue.

X-Men 12, as mentioned before it appears the Twilight Sword made a whole other dimension where mutants are the primary population but they are under siege and Apocalypse looks to save them.

Hellions, after Madelyne Pryor is stopped with a shot by Scalphunter, he then kills the rest of his old team so they wlll resurrect on Krakoa. Yeah, the Mutant Massacre team. Pryor is not to be resurrected.

Thor 7. So the problem is that the hammer is growing heavy in Thor's hand, but literally now anyone else can wield it. So, a local mechanic in a small town...

Iron Man's new launch is good. gets in a fight with Unicorn of all people but it works.

Catwoman 25 concerns itself with getting Wayne's money back with the help of Riddler and Penguin. She double crosses them of course while they were trying to double cross her. There is this dance scene with a tiger than plays out inserted in the story representing Catwoman threading the needle.

The mega sized Detective Comics was cool, full of short stories and such. One called "Detective 26" features the original batman who was no against killing.

Heavy metal 300 was ok. Some good stories, some utterly weird ones.

Gamiel likes this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I shudder every time an American writer writes for Brian Braddock.

Master_Lok likes this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    from https://www.cbr.com/marvel-the-union-king-in-black-venom/
    First of: "Knull" is still really funny for me as a Swed.

Second: Have anybody here heard about Britannia before today? How big is the chance that her origins/presentation will be revealed as nothing but lies? Or that since she "symbolizes all that’s bright and good about Britain" we then find out that there is another character representing everything that's dark and bad about Britain*?
    * If they go this rot would I love if the "dark-bad-Britan" character looks like John Constantine :p

Third: Really, another UK superhero team? Don't we already have enough of those to constantly forget they exist? There is a whole European mainland with lots of countries that need superhero representation

6. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    This is true, and I've complained about it before. Their are super-hero teams based in mainland Europe, but they are generally ignored in favour of more established non-European heroes. I think it doesn't help that Marvel US doesn't employ many (any?) non-English-as-a-first-language writers. This might be because mainland Europe has a more respectful attitude to comics than Britain, where they have always been looked down on as juvenile, and the market is more supportive of home-grown material. Part of the reason for the so-called "British invasion of comics" in the eighties was that most of the creators were struggling to make a living out of the British comic scene, even when their material was critically lauded.

Jedi Ben, Master_Lok and Gamiel like this.
  7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    There has been S.H.E. (Super Heroes of Europe) - it just hasn't really been used.

Then again, was anything done with the "50-State Initiative" after the whole Civil War/Dark Reign era?

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    There have been some inter-Europa superhero teams (S.H.E., EuroForce) but I only know of one country based team - Les Heroes de Paris. I think more or less each European country have had their own hero but they have usually only been used as sacrifice lambs or similar to show how bad the latest threat is (see S.H.E.), how cool and/or independent the main character is by defeating them (see Kinsmen), to make some kind of stereotype joke , or a combination of two of the previous mentioned.

There was some cool ideas (can't say if the stories was good) in the Marvel Italy prints when it existed but I don't think they have been used since then (ignoring EuroForce)

blackmyron likes this.
  9. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I seem to recall there were a couple European teams in WW I and II as well...

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Don't know, all WWI/II teams I can think of was either inter-European or international with US members.

Realized here that I contradict myself when I say that I can only think of one country based team (the French Les Heroes de Paris) and then later in the text mention the Irish superhero/agent team Kinsmen.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Got:

X Of Swords Creation #1, this is 1 of 22 with the X-titles as the rest of the chapters. Opted for the Magik cover though there is also a cool Apocalypse cover.
    Action Comics 1025
    Batman/Superman 12
    Justice League Dark 26, and this is how you get a person to buy the variant, make a terrible regular cover.
    Juggernaut 1 JUGGERNAUT!
    Low 25
    Books of Magic 23
    The Immortal She-Hulk 1
    Doctor Doom 7, whoa, thought this was done with.
    Daredevil 22
    The Rise of Ultraman 1
    Marvel Free Previews, advert on the back for Avengers 40 Enter The Phoenix, looks cool.

12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Well X of Swords is quite interesting. Apocalypse is betrayed by Summoner and is either killed or injured by his children, 4 of them though not named. It is to be a contest of champions to decide the fate of the worlds. I like.

Most interesting thing in Dardevil is Tony's offer to give DD an equipment upgrade.

Doctor Doom must have been finished and sitting on the shelf for awhile as it still has Empyre adverts in it.

JL Dark, we'll see what Constantine's game is, as he has been killed at the end.

Juggernaut is now a kinder Juggernaut, helping demolish property that was wrecked in superhero battles. Looks like a showdown with the Hulk coming.

Ultraman was ok, I may continue it.

Previews show a new event called King in Black featuring the King of the Symbiotes. Eternals is looking good, #2 looks to have Thanos. A MODOK 4 issue series! Savage Avengers guest starring Magik and Juggernaut, nice. Enter the Phoenix looks like it starts with a One Million Year BC story, like to see a series for this. A Taskmaster series shows #2 with Hyperion holding Taskmaster by the throat above the city. We're getting a "King-Size Conan" 50 year celebration of Conan in comics.

Gamiel likes this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It's surpricing many heroes that you would think Tony, or similar, would have given that offer to ages ago.

We see how long that lasts. This it the... third time I think, that Juggernaut have had a storyline about him stoping being a bad guy, and then he is back on among the bad guys when the authors change :(

14. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    This thought came about after The Avengers film and I would think more suits means more of a risk of that technology in that suit getting into the wrong hands. So perhaps this will just be a lesser form.

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I was not really thinking suits, more along the lines of just upgrading their standard gear. Making costumes bulletproof, masks with inbuilt mobilephone/radio, anti-flash lenses, and all that. Nothing that your ordinary HYDRA/Golden Claw/Hand/SHIELD/similar field agent have as standard equipment.

16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Shang Chi #1, read this right off. A little family relation retcon going on. Good though.
    Savage Avengers 12
    Legion Of Superheroes 9 "All Star Artist Event", every page showcases a different artist.
    Hellblazer 10
    Wonder Woman 763
    X-Factor 4
    Batman Joker War Zone 1, a lil side story I guess, the art looks cool.
    Strange Academy 3
    Avengers 36
    Batman/Superman Annual 1
    Batman Three Jokers 2

17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    In case you were wondering about a real world application of Batman's cape.

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    The Batman Superman Annual was a nice gem of surprise. It is a direct shot at fans who argue over who can beat who in a fight between the two using Mr Mxyzptlk and Bat-Mite using them as action figures.

Batman Joker Warzone is a set of short stories and only one of them was any good. This is a horrible issue.

XFactor X of Swords delivers again. Magik has an issue ending badass moment.

Hellblazer. John vs John. Future John wants present John to kill himself to take away the guilt of all the lives that have been taken in his orbit.

Three Jokers...let's just say Jason Todd is given a repeat.

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Look up some of the things Marvel UK created and Force was the 90's-ness strong in Marvel UK during the 90's. Wonder if we will see any of them again (outside of some kind of meta commentary or killed of to show how hard a villain is).

--------

A bit late for this question but during marvel's latest Secret Wars event (the one where Captain Britain Corps was not allowed to do their job so Doom could "save" the day) one of the reals was Arcadia (the one where A-Force happened) and you who remember that do I wonder how people think the original world Arcadia was based on was?

20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Far Sector 8
    Legend of the Swamp Thing Halloween Spectacular. I have not bought a Swap Thing comic since the early 90's.
    The Official Handbook of the Conan Universe
    Deadpool 7
    Cyberpunk 2077 2 of 4
    Alien The Original Screenplay 3
    X-Force 13
    Marauders 13
    Wolverine 6, they really like showing Logan stabbed with lots of sharp things.
    The Dreaming Waking Hours 3
    Thor 8

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That one is really, really, good

22. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Re: European super-teams.

A few years ago Hickman recreated Euroforce (the 90s Marvel Italia creation) in the pages of Avengers World. The new lineup was really intriguing, including a couple of characters from the original team, and it’s a pity it hasn’t been used more often.

Re: X of Swords

I love Solem. I hope he stays around beyond the crossover.

Gamiel, blackmyron and Princess_Tina like this.
  23. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Damn, I'm always a sucker for the handbooks, they're my jam - one of my prized possessions when I was kid was a copy of the first "Deceased" issue of the first run of the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe. I have almost all the modern ones, with some unfortunate exceptions.
    I hope a copy is still there by the time I can get to a comic book store again (likely not until November at the earliest).

24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Marvel calls him Wolverine's Arch-Nemesis and says "Thor has Loki. Spider-Man has the Green Goblin. And now, Wolverine has Solem.

Bleeding Cool

25. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    :rolleyes:

So glad I am not reading.

soitscometothis and Gamiel like this.