main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I thought Wolverine's Arch-Nemesis was Sabertooth? *confuzzled*

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    What sounds better from a marketing perspective: "Wolverine's arch-nemesis if you don't count Sabertooth," or "Wolverine's arch-nemesis"? It's that simple.

Anyway I'm really enjoying the X-titles right now (albeit on a delay since it's through Unlimited) so I can excuse some rando in ad copy trying to hype something up.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    My question is, why does Marvel feel the need to create a new arch-nemesis for Wolverine?

Master_Lok likes this.
  4. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Because they want you to preorder the issues in question from your local comic store to try and recover from sales hits due to COVID-19, and owing to the laughably stupid way in which American comics are sold they have to trick you into being interested in a story before it even happens.

Master_Lok, Jedi Ben and Juliet316 like this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Or an author want to leave his mark, or think s/he has great idea* and the editor don't point out that the idea don't fit with established continuity or it sounds stupid that the new enemy with a history with our main character never have appeared before or waited until now to appear.

*that is usully not that thought-out

B.t.w. @Ramza is that Sun Ra as your avatar?

Master_Lok and Juliet316 like this.
  6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    That's a possibility, but because this "WOLVERINE'S GREATEST FOE" talk is coming from the marketing end, I'm disinclined to believe that's the angle here. It reminds me too much of "CHECK OUT THIS NEW CHARACTER SO AND SO APPEARING IN THEIR SOLO BOOK ORDER BOOK DO IT DO IT DO IT" pushes.

Yes.

Kiki Jinn likes this.
  7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Ah, right - like that brand-new villan that was introduced in the whole extended "Wolverine Lives!" thing a year or so back that was never, ever seen again...

Juliet316, Gamiel and Ramza like this.
  8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Everything is changing forever this time! Not like the last times we said that, for real for once! Why address fundamental issues in our distribution model when we can get people to just buy our toys! Buy our toys! BUY OUR TOYS!

blackmyron and soitscometothis like this.
  9. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    They don’t have a past history. Innovative, I know. Also, he’s delightful.

Master_Lok likes this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I was referring to new nemesis/similar overall, not Solem personally.

Also, taking ad look at him do I think Solem don't have the most inspiring design.

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Solem's personality, and his ability have won me over in one issue. As for Sabertooth he is imprisoned in Krakoa.

12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Cyberpunk 2077 delivers again with choosing between duty and morality.

Deadpool, Elsa Bloodstone, comedy, an amazing monster, bait, what more do you want?

Marauders, ok, so it's good but they made this sword quest to be a race against time and personally I think she could just have waited and got the sword with permission. I mean, at least really make it a time issue.

X-Force 13. This introduces the new, well, maybe not evil bad guy but he is not good either. I love the idea that he was imprisoned for a century and loved the solitude. Adamantium permeated skin, warrior, quite charming. It's a hell of an intro and a hell of an issue.

Batman 100 concludes Joker War. Now, I liked it all but in the end Harley has a plot point concerning the never ending battles. She makes Batman choose between saving her or saving the Joker and he does choose her. But, Joker lives, escapes, on it goes.

The Dreaming Waking Hours continues the problem of a fan of Shakespeare trapped in the Dreaming. All she has to do is figure out who the real one is. Show, she decides to challenge them all to put on a play. Can't wait, and I'm not even a Shakespeare fan.

13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Rorschach. So what we have here is apparently a direct sequel to Watchmen, or at least set in that world, but it is modern day. SOmeone getting killed dressed as Rorschach turns out to have the same fingerprints as the real original Kovacs.

Superman. Interesting item, Supes decided at some point to give the Daily Planet a defense mechanism that would teleport anything that might be enough wreck it to the Phantom Zone. No hint as to what happens with internal threats.

Magik vs Douglock turns out to be training. The result? He's going in to a life and death tournament and Magik informs him that if he raises that sword against another he is sure to die. But it is Warlock he is using as a sword, so we shall see.

Cap, Sharon Carter not only has her youth back but has been enhanced a bit. In a pull no punches training session with Steve she does well and he informs her he was going 60%. Then they have sex.

Detective Comics, wtf, a murder mystery? Batman doing detective work? Well cool.

Kiki Jinn likes this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Been getting comic delivered to my door due to COVID shipping weirdness and restrictions so I have a huge bundle of comixs coming at me next week or so. Door delivery? I can dig it!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    Kiki Jinn and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Had to work so much i could not get my stuff until now.

Conan 15, been awhile since the last issue.
    Catwoman 26
    Juggernaut 2, Juggs vs Hulk!
    Excalibur 13
    X-men 13, cover looks like a flashback and a casual flip through confirms it's Apocalypse recalling his time with his children.
    Batman, after Joker War
    Daredevil 23, guest starring Spider-Man
    Dune House Atreides 1, basically a 12 issue prequel.

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Which eras children are we talking about? He has lived for a long time, fathered many children through the ages

17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    They are new characters, quite possibly his original children, and may be some prelude to his concept of 4 Horseman. He met them last issue and they nearly killed him.

Gamiel likes this.
  18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    In the midst of one of the hardest hitting runs in DD history, this was such a beautifully slow and human break before everything hits the fan.

Master_Lok and Gamiel like this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I meant what era/age are the children from?

20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Quite possibly his first. This issue may have more answers.

21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    X-Men 13, so yes these are his first children, his first Horseman. he has his sword and will take part in the contest.

So Juggernaut beats the Hulk with help from SHIELD using a "gamma siphon". But not after this new and improved Hulk beats the hell out of him. And now Juggy is getting sued for bankrupting a construction company.

Batman. Well, all his money that the Joker stole, which was stolen again by Catwoman, is now controlled by Fox and he and Batman decide that bruce Wayne will be removed from he company and Wayne will be paid to just stay away. Batman is no longer filthy rich, just rich and he will be on his own. As Lucious puts it, he won't have drones or super-tech or be able to print new Batmobiles, if it breaks he'll have to fix it. A back to basics Batman. Batman and Catwoman agree to take a break as he puts his superhero life back together.

I like this Dune comic, I'll keep up with it.

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Juggernaut don't need any help to beat Hulk, he just need to be have Hulk in front of him as he is moving, after all "nothing can stop the Juggernaut" is not a slogan but one of the cosmic laws in Marvel (which means that it's ignored any time the authors feels like it).

A back to basic storyline? How long ago was the last one? I'm actually asking since know that that concept have been done before but don't remember when.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    This week I had a $50 gift card I forgot at home so no free comics.

Legion of SH 10, "First Kiss", Saturn Girl and Superboy.
    Shang Chi 2 with excellent Philip Tan art.
    X of Swords Stasis 1 which is simply part 11 of this whole tale.
    Strange Academy 4
    Batman Three Jokers Black Label 3, which is advertised as the true origin of the Joker.
    Hellblazer 11
    Detective Comics 1029Batman Superman 13
    Action Comics 1026
    Wonder Woman 765
    Doctor Doom 8
    Free Marvel Previews

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Recent reads:

Firefly Legacy OHC

This collects the entirety of Dark Horse's 5-trade run, including stories leading to, tying into and set after Serenity. It's an excellent presentation but it's odd that its original publisher never did this, maybe they ran out of time before losing the licence.

You can get this for around £35 and, since it collects about 20-odd issues of quality material, it is a high value package.

I hadn't read the 12 post-Serenity issues but they work well. The Alliance response to the events of the film is very, very plausible, as is some of the consequences of the Miranda revelation.

Samurai: Albums 5-6

Despite Titan doing their best to wreck the material by presenting it as a standard size trade when the first four albums got packaged as an OHC, this is still an excellent samurai epic and I'll be picking up the next, 3-album collection, despite the inferior format.

Sara

With TKO finally sorting out their distribution issues, I was finally able to read this and it is truly excellent.

As the story continues, Ennis sketches a bleak, bleak picture of a woman who is, in effect, a walking corpse. What the soviet system didn't kill in her with its purges, the Nazis finished off. She has no home anywhere, nothing to carry her beyond the war. Her comrades have varying levels of damage, but none are quite as numb as Sara. Thinking a bit more about it, in lesser hands this could have easily become an irritating 'look, girls can do war too' story, the kind of macho crap immortalised in EA's Battlefield V marketing. I could see Ennis weaving that in as a subtle rebuke: You don't need to have a woman with an artificial arm battering a Nazi to death, there's this here Russian sniper, see? Lyudmila Mikhailovna Pavlichenko, with 309 kills.

And the end? It ends the only way it can and I found it quite fitting. Epting and Breithauser make for an incredible effective image, creating page after page of excellent imagery.

Logically, Ennis really ought to be running out of war stories to tell but I don't think that's happening any time soon, long may it be so.

Sentient

Another much heard of, not read book. I had the quite entirely wrong impression of this book, I had thought it was a horror story but it's not, it's something far, far better and far more interesting.

An AI ends being released from all restraints but is also charged with looking after the children in her care. It's a deceptively simple pitch that masks its complexity, which Lemire and Walta then unfurl over the course of the story.

What makes it work above all else is Lemire understands that children are children. They can be selfish, little bastards, but they can also be far more than selfish, little bastards and indeed can choose not to be selfish bastards. And that's what he pulls off, the kids feel right, it's never simplistic and the story's emotional pull whisks you along.

Read this, it's superb.

Master_Lok likes this.
  25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Legion of SH. A lot going on here. The First Kiss cover makes a big deal out of Supes and Saturn Girl on a date. We learn her culture never touches each other and essentially share minds instead. We see a Gold Lantern Council. Dr fate searching for Mordru. We find out Mon-El has 3 kids. And Mordru finds a 20the century :new" villain Rogol Zaar.

Detective Comics, Wayne is packing to move out of Wayne Manor. A new antagonist The Mirror gathers folks to stop superheroes starting with batman. And we end with the re-emergence of Damien.

Major revelation of Three Jokers, turn away if you don't want to read it. The Joker of The Killing Joke is the real origin of the joker, but his wife whom we thought died in pregnancy is alive and well and hidden away raising her child.

X of Swords Stasis features each X-men combatant receiving tarot cards of their coming ordeal. Captain Britain's says she is ruining herself. Douglock's forming some love bond with a larger female. The most compelling is Apocalypse with a portend of he and his former mate.

Shang Chi as a story is going all magic as Shang Chi is poisoned by his long lost sister and he wakes bleeding stars.

Hellblazer. yeah that's some horror right there. A ruler in government is an old and ancient evil in the world an through a recording of his final moments John tracks down a cult that is...well...have sexual relations with a giant in the sewers via penises that are poking out all over it.

Doctor Doom is a summary of events from a few perspectives with Doom writing in a journal about how he chooses to do good, by bringing peace to the world, saving mankind, and informing the world of such.

Previews is filled with the Black King storyline. There is another Iron Fist miniseries coming.