main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books The Star Wars Book: Expand Your Knowledge of a Galaxy Far, Far Away

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Coherent Axe, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    The Star Wars Book: Expand Your Knowledge of a Galaxy Far, Far Away

This one's now available in the UK, and I got my copy today. It's a nice little tome by Pablo Hidalgo, Cole Horton, and Dan Zehr, fairly basic in layout but I've noticed a few new titbits scattered throughout. I figured I'd mention a few here:

• There's a galaxy map (using the background image from the TLJ/TROS Visual Dictionaries), though I don't see anything new on there.
    • The Galaxy—the timeline claims the Resistance was formed in 29 ABY, which seems to be at odds with Bloodline in 28 ABY, whose events are also referenced.
    • Superweapons—Momin now has the "Darth" title, as does Shaa later in the book.
    • Cybernetics—Grievous's transformation takes place over an "extended period", rather than the one-and-done in Legends.
    • The Jedi Order—dates of c.25,000 BBY for the founding of the Jedi (and later the formation of the Old Republic) and c.1,032 BBY for the Republic reformation, echoing other sources (but mostly Wookieepedia, I think). Interestingly, the High Republic era is pegged at c.300 to c.100 BBY, and later on the Starlight Station is stated to have launched in exactly 232 BBY, so the HR publishing program seems to be starting in the middle of the era. Also, Dooku's departure from the Order is dated to 42 BBY.
    • Ahsoka Tano—confirmation that she and Sabine head into the Unknown Regions to find Ezra, which I think was assumed but not outright stated.
    • The Sith Order—the era of Jedi/Sith conflicts begins in c.5,000 BBY.
    • Darth Sidious—confirmed to have been destroyed "body and soul" in TROS.
    • Snoke—confirmed to be a "genetic strandcast (artifical)" created by the resurrected Sidious -- so not prior to the rise of the Empire. He also has free will, though his actions and goals are orchestrated by Sidious. Snoke may not know his own nature.
    • Anakin Skywalker—twice outright stated to be born on Tatooine despite his comment in TPM and Legends.
    • The First Order—"The Imperial fleet survivors arrive at Parnassos" in 22 ABY. Dating for the Phasma novel?
    • The First Order/Resistance War is the fairly uninspiring name for the conflict.
    • Din Djarin—his home is Aq Vetina, though I think that refers to the settlement rather than the planet, since no homeworld is listed. He's taken in by "warriors carrying the mark of Death Watch" and receives an "orthodox Mandalorian upbringing so believes that he cannot ever take his helmet off in the company of another living being".

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Amazon UK have a 'Look Inside' for this. Based on that I've added it to the Amazon UK list.

3. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    This wasn't on my radar before, but it very much is now!

4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Good to know Snoke DOES have Free-Will...I'm happy about that.

@LAJ_FETT Thank you for the lock :D

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2020
    LAJ_FETT likes this.
  5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    No problem!

6. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

IT seems like most of the Old Republic Legends dates remain intact for now

7. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I do not like the dating of the Jedi Order again to 25,000 yrs and the Old Republic, the same. Far to old, and it contradicts the 10,000 yr reference in Master and Apprentice.

I want some years of the Jedi existing pre-Old Republic.

8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

they can always retcon it later. These source books aren’t the final say. Otherwise General Draven would be alive post Endor

9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I like that the jedi order is 25 000 years old and only 20 000 later the sith/jedi conflict rose up. I wonder what enemies the jedi and the old republic had before the sith. The Rakata, Grysk, Vong, other outside forces?

10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@Coherent Axe

So something interesting

So if Snoke was created post Palpatine death on Exegol then I do wonder when he ran into Sloane and the Imperial Remnant under her command. That means he defiantly mean he wasn't on the Eclipse at the end of Aftermath 3 and he came to Sloane and the others later.

11. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Yeah, the TLJ novelization and especially the TROS Visual Dictionary suggest they found Snoke sometime after going into the Unknown Regions to begin with, not right away. The former keeps it vague, but suggests Snoke might have swept in to take the leadership from Sloane and other candidates.

12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Now the real question is how long was Sloane and company in the UR before they ran into Snoke and how established were they.

13. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    TROS VD has this in Snoke's timeline:

"29-19 BSI - The taming of the Unknown; surviving Imperial forces are met by secret reinforcements in uncharted space."

That's 5-15 ABY, and II'd assume it's referring to whatever Snoke's forces are.

14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

So my guess is Sloane and her crew eventually maybe that same year maybe a year or two later met up with Snoke and some Sith Eternal folks they decided to be one big happy Imp family until Snoke did some politics and supplanted Sloane as the Supreme Leader

15. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Is this like the old essential guides? Or is it a blurb book with pictures and brief comments??

16. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Blurb book. Well-written, but it doesn't give us a huge amount that we don't already know. It at least covers a range of subjects, presented thematically. Decent write-ups and an interesting design, but not as comprehensive as the Essential Guides.

17. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    It's a stealth spinoff of DK's Big Ideas (Simply Explained) series which have the same format.

Shame they don't draw attention to it, really, cause it makes it harder to find other franchise editions such as The Marvel Book, if you like their presentation.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  18. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Any other completely new good stuff apart from finally learning what Snoke is?

19. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    I listed what details I've found in the first post.

20. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Whoops, sorry. Thanks!

21. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Anything on the Battles of Endor and Exegol? All I care about at the moment is Endor and Exegol.

22. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Nothing new that I've seen. Just recaps of the battles within the Galactic Civil War and First Order/Resistance War sections respectively.

23. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I really liked The Star Trek Book: Strange New Worlds Boldly Explained. I had no idea there was a Marvel one.

24. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    The ones I kept in the quote aren't sitting with me right. I feel like this wasn't very thoroughly researched or vetted.

25. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    I'd say it was researched fine, since Pablo was involved, but yes, I think a couple of mistakes have probably slipped through. That said, I'd say that only the 29 ABY thing and Anakin's homeworld are likely outright mistakes.

Iron_lord likes this.