main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    As part of their month-long salute to Peter Cushing, TCM is running "Dr. Who and the Daleks" and "Daleks: Invasion Earth 2150 A.D." tonight, starting at 9:30 EDT.

Dagobahsystem and Juliet316 like this.
  2. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I already have the blu-rays, but they're worth watching

Dagobahsystem and Juliet316 like this.
  3. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    @darkspine10
    [face_laugh] Brilliant gifs mate.

Yes. I've seen all of it.
    Thought it was terrific.

The Doctor was hilarious and all the Nimons and just, everything about it reminded me of a vintage season one episode of Star Trek TOS in the best possible way. Yet it's Who, so yeah, it's brilliant.

That's neat you and your family like it a lot to such a great extent. It must be fun to be able to share the DW fandom with the famdom as it were.

This thread is my Who famdom. :D

That reminds me, I'll have to recommend these 9th Doctor Titan Comics I'm reading that are so great.

Still saving the 8th Doctor story "A Matter of Life and Death"; wanna read it one sitting when I can concentrate fully.

Juliet316 and darkspine10 like this.
  4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Yes. It's very cheap and OTT, but if you can cope with that it is very entertaining. Graham Crowden really chews the scenery to the point where it becomes hypnotic. Some nice lines, too.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I adore Horns of Nimon but I also daftly commit to the belief that the Four/Romana/K9 run does not have a single misstep in the run.

But, yeah, Nimon is glorious. You could almost say it has a God Complex.

6. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    While waiting for "Dr. Who and the Daleks", I switched to the Riffing Room, where they were running the Rifftrax version of "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets". I got there in time to see a scene with a whole bunch of students in their school scarves.
    KEVIN: I've never seen so many Tom Baker wannabes in one place.
    MIKE: Come on! You've been to Comic-Con.
    KEVIN: Yeah, that's true.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  8. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    *steals*

PCCViking and dp4m like this.
  9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It's okay, I shamelessly stole it from the original Tech Admin (whom no one here remembers... :p)...

PCCViking , Juliet316 and Lordban like this.
  10. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Flipped on the telly and managed to catch Colony In Space with John Pertwee. I only missed the first 10 minutes of Episode 1. Watching right now. It's good!

"I sense you are a being of superior intelligence. Although the creature with you is of no value, I will let you go."

"May I say that I am overwhelmed that justice prevails in your city."
    =D=

I like the music in this serial. Whole tone scales are used a lot, and there are some truly wacky chromatic chord progressions outlined in some scenes, especially the outdoor ones. And lots of neat aliens.

Overall, this was fun, a bit slow in spots, but the Master is pretty cool.
    And that's kinda neat how often the 3rd Doctor uses martial arts.

"My immediate plans are to expose you as an imposter."

"You'd be well advised to keep silent."

That was a nice scene.

Edit: I'm on Episode 5 now. It's picking up again. They broke into the Master's TARDIS. Nice shots of the planet. This is quite entertaining.

Edit 2: This story keeps getting better. I like how he left the key so they might go and rescue Jo.

"I warned you Doctor!" [face_nail_biting]

Onto Episode 6!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  13. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Greetings Whovians, wishing you well.

Been on quite a Who journey meself; as I'm continuing to get to know the 3rd Doctor, the Master, and Jo.

Watched The Sea Devils thoroughly and quite enjoyed it although a bit of streamlining into 4 parts instead of 6 might have helped the pacing.
    Loved the wacky synth music and exaggerated cues and all of the actors really sell this story as you can tell they are top notch British players and nice to see Jo get in some key action scenes. Pertwee is terrific.

And well played the BBC got the Royal Navy involved for some great sea faring shots and choice looks at their top gear. Not one of my top classic serials, but it's good fun and glad it's in my collection.

Moving right along then, let's see, where were we? Ah yes, 10th Doctor, Series 4.
    Tennant continues to surprise and entertain as do the other characters and the writing as well. David is definitely in my top 3 Doctors. He is brilliant.

Last watched The Doctor's Daughter (it's brilliant, i wrote a whole essay on this but I'll spare you), The Unicorn and the Wasp (pleasant Agatha Christie episode with Felicity Jones ftw), Silence In the Library/Forest of the Dead (this 2 parter is one of the best in history imo), and Midnight (creepy speech replicant airplane).

I've a lot to say about these, but alas I'm keeping going, now watching Turn Left. I sense a great disturbance in the TARDIS and that Donna may be exiting?

This Eccleston/Tennant DW DVD boxset continues to amaze and surprise and astonish me after 7 months with its neverending sources of brilliant creativity. Series 1-4 are marvel of modern science.

And I have some exciting personal classic who news coming soon.
    Hope you're all doing well. Peace and love.

14. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
  15. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    I have a question, and I apologize if I've previously asked this.
    I saw on Amazon that the Blu-Ray of the McGann movie is available. It's listed as being Region 0, which I've always understood means it can be played back anywhere. However, there's a disclaimer on the page saying it might not be playable on a U.S.-made machine.
    Does anyone have this, and can they tell me if it'll be OK on my machine? Please advise.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Look for a NTSC indicator instead of PAL? Been a while since I was hunting for Region 0 DVDs suitable for a UK player.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    This season sounds like it's only gonna be 8 episodes long. Chibnall didn't do super well with a cut order last time (despite him requesting it) so we'll see, I guess?

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I have it. Brought it to the States from Belfast. It is an incredible 2 disc set and the main story looks superb. It is definitely a Euro-regional release, tho. I have a universal player so I can run it just fine but I did a test and put it in a Region 1 (North American) player and half the menu screen was invisible. I could hear the music and see the "art" background but the actual selectable buttons were all nowhere to be found.

If you Google how to convert your player (which is apparently not difficult to do), it is a brilliant set and worth buying.

19. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Did it say Region 0 on the box?

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
  21. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Thanks for the info. I'll check on my player to see if it'll work.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Certainly.
    Just so I'm clear, this is the version I am referencing.

23. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Yeah, that's the one I saw. I'm a little surprised it hasn't been issued as Region 1.

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I hope you can do a simple conversion on your player. The set is really loaded. Considering it contains a whopping two "episodes" (The Movie and Night of the Doctor), there are hours of supplemental material.

darkspine10 likes this.
  25. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    I just finished watching "The Green Man", an episode of "Midsomer Murders". One of the main characters in the story is Tom, a laconic, mysterious hermit living in the forest and having a strange connection with the local wildlife. The actor gave a very good performance in a rather haunting part of this particular mystery. It was only until after it was over that I read an IMDb review and found out Tom was played by David Bradley, a.k.a. the third First Doctor. I didn't recognize him at all. I have to work on my powers of observation.
    Oh, and for easy reference, this was the episode where Troy gets promoted.

Juliet316 likes this.