main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate BreadTube Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Vivec, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I know there are others here who are fans of leftist youtube channels that could be considered under the umbrella term "BreadTube" so I figured it'd be nice to have a place to discuss the topics brought up by the latest videos without muddying up specific politics threads.

What is Breadtube? For those of you who don't know, BreadTube is a loose group of leftist youtubers and podcasters who make political and medic criticism videos from a left-wing perspective. It's named after anarchist Peter Kropotkin's The Conquest of Bread aka the Bread Book. A lot of right wing radicalization that happens online occurs through youtube (Think Jordan Peterson videos or Ben Shapiro DESTROYS liberals with FACTS and LOGIC). So Left wing youtube channels and podcasts are a good counter to these.

One of my favorites is the Alt-Right Playbook by Innuendo Studios. If you have 2 hours to kill, you can go through the whole thing and get some insight on how online radicalization works and how to combat it.

I don't wanna muck up this OP with a wall of text so I'm just gonna leave you with a few channels I really like:

Renegade Cut
    Innuendo Studios
    Jim Sterling
    hbomberguy

So who are your favorites? Any latest videos on topics you wanna discuss?

2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Jim ******* Sterlingson is one of my favorite youtubers period. I'm a big lower-case 'g' gamer and his videos on gaming topics looked at from a liberal point of view never fail to entertain and inform. Largely the same can be said for hbomberguy, actually. Both are excellent regardless.

Jedi Ben and vncredleader like this.
  3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Lindsay Ellis! She's friends with hbomberguy and they definitely seem to influence each other's style.

I also watch several "alt news" lefty podcast channels. Michael Brooks is my favorite because he's the most left and focuses a lot on international news.

The Rational National (David Doel) is another I watch and where I get practically all of my Canadian political news (he also covers U.S. politics a lot).

I like Krystal Ball on The Hill's Rising show (they have a lot of leftbreadtubers as guests).

Secular Talk (Kyle Kulinski, co-founded the group Justice Democrats who backed AOC and Ilhan Omar) is another good one.

Democracy Now! (they predate YouTube but still) has some great journalism.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  4. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    Check out DoNotEat1. Good civics stuff there.

5. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I haven't really watched much of her earlier stuff but I do enjoy ContraPoints, particularly her videos on Incels and Racism in America.

6. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Lindsay Ellis, Contrapoints, Philosophy Tube, Shaun, Three Arrows and Rebecca Watson are my favorites.

In the US news commentary department, love some Ana Kasparian, Krystal Ball and Kyle Kulinski.

7. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    So...FreedomToons for cucks?

8. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    not quite

9. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Wow so this died hard lmao

Brand new video by Innuendo Studios, tho this isn't a video essay this is a presentation and you get to see him irl.

In this video he talks about how the alt right harms it's its own members as a way to keep them.

10. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I want all of the leftist YouTubers to come together and pledge to cut down on their use of the word "critique."

11. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Does breadtuber simply mean "left wing YouTubers"?

12. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    More or less. Some of the biggest are not technically part of Breadtube, but run with it since the movement was built around them. It is more of a loose thing so like I don't think the Majority Report consider themselves to be breadtubers, but many breadtubers love them and they are certainly adjacent .

3sm1r likes this.
  13. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Trying to revive this thread with a video from someone named Big Joel about a series of horribly repulsive tweets by a guy who said that instead of following the shooters instructions to leave a classroom, the men should have fought the shooter and possibly died too in order to save the women the shooter was targeting and that the reason the men didn't try to save the women was cause they're all misogynists. Or, you know, that's actually a horrible reading of the situation by a twitter lib trying to look like a tough guy on the internet.

14. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    Has anyone here heard of "Vaush"?

15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Michael Brooks died suddenly today. They're being vague about the cause. This sucks. He was great.

16. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I know this thread isn't the most popular, but I've been keeping up with the couple of leftist youtubers I watch and RenegadeCut put out a new video about how horror movies stigmatize mental illness to the general population.

vncredleader, Ava G. and darkspine10 like this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I have seen a few of their videos might have to give this one a watch.

Ava G. and Lord Vivec like this.
  18. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I have little understanding of what the word include, but anyway people should watch

Richard Wolff (democracy at work)
    David Harvey (anti-capitalist chronicles)
    Alan Woods
    Contrapoints

I used to watch less professor-ish podcasters like Dixon and Secular Talk, but after a while I realized that they really provided very little information, and they kind of always stress the same concept over and over with little insights.
    Then, my opinion of Bad Faith is known already, but I do think that it will increase its popularity with time, since Virgil Texas is a good comedian, and BJG has her own pool of faithful followers.

Ava G. likes this.
  19. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    vncredleader and Ava G. like this.
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    You know it’s stupid but for some reason I always get them and thequartering confused (some crazy guy right wing pretends to be centrist) I think it’s because they both have Q in their name :p

21. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Love me some Philosophy Tube and Contrapoints. Hbomberguy I can take or leave. His political stuff is usually great, but I can't be arsed with hours long videos on why such-and-such a TV show/game is bad, actually. Shaun picks good topics, but his presentation style does little for me. Especially when compared to the likes of Philosophy Tube and Contra.

22. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    See i agree with you when it comes to his stuff from a few years ago. But I absolutely love his Lovecraft, Pathologic 2, and RWBY videos. He's just such an entertaining guy, and his videos have just so much bloody effort put into them

23. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I'll grant you the Lovecraft one was great, but it was a little over half an hour long. Same for his video on CTRL+ALT+DEL. His videos on Pathologic 2 and RWBY are over 2 hours. Ain't nobody got time for that.

24. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Wolff interviewed a Canadian podcaster who considers himself as part of the "breadtube" group SERFS (in the second part of the program).

He seems to be a nice guy.

Ghost likes this.
  25. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Voting for president isn't an exercise in democratic power.

Ramza and darkspine10 like this.