main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What anthology film should they have done instead of Solo?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by HaloWithStyle, Sep 30, 2020.

1. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    I know a lot of people liked the movie but there’s no denying it was a failure in many ways. Rogue One set the bar high for these anthology films and Solo was a massive let down which basically ruined the plan Disney had for the future of the anthologies.

The reason for the failure was I think less from SW fatigue or Last Jedi backlash and more from the fact that nearly everyone thought a Solo origin story was completely unnecessary. Out of all the stories in the SW universe they could’ve done I think it was crazy that they came up with that idea.

So my question is what should they have done instead as their second anthology movie? NOT including what was rumoured like Boba Fett or Kenobi.

(I think a Kenobi film would’ve been a better option but then we wouldn’t be getting a longer series for that later)

What I think is that they should’ve done the Siege of Mandalore, just like it was in the clone wars finale except more cinematic obviously.

2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Boba Fett and have Vader appear like in RO. You could have Jabba too.

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I agree that SW fatigue and Last Jedi backlash both get exaggerated as reasons for Solo's box office results (though they are surely part of the issue). I think another big factor was the timing of the release and the lack of sufficient marketing for it. But yes, I think another factor was also that the subject of the movie did not necessarily engage enough regular moviegoers. So on that note, let's discuss things here from that perspective, and avoid getting off topic with discussions about the reasons for Solo's results (which have already been discussed a lot in other threads). Thanks.

4. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Frankly? A Clone Wars movie, but in live-action.

Search your feelings... You want it too!

:p

5. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Vader. Just a one-off totally contained story about him during his prime in the Empire, figuring out some way to do something evil and putting it into action. Completely independent from the events of the OT (maybe an overt reference to the geopolitical landscape of the galaxy, at the most). Nothing about his six film arc, or some psychological examination of who he is. Just Vader in his prime doing something Vader would do in his prime.

6. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Sio Bibble.

7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    A Communications Disruption Could Mean Only One Thing: A Star Wars Story

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  8. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    This is a Star Wars Movie about Ric Olie: A Star Wars Story

Ric Olie voiceover narration: "Hello, and welcome to my Star Wars movie about me, Ric Olie. We will begin this movie, which runs 1 hour and 43 minutes long, by establishing the setting, which is the time and place, and then introducing the characters."

9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Never have I been more ready for something than a Ric Ollie movie. Which means that I’m looking forward to it.

EHT, TCF-1138 and Emperor Ferus like this.
  10. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    You catch on pretty quick! :p

11. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Captain Panaka: A Negative Star Wars Story

This is probably going to end badly

12. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Panaka: Looks Pretty Bad.

13. antitoxicgamer

antitoxicgamer Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 9, 2020
    Clone Wars movie with Prequel actors.

I would have preferred that over that CGI series.

14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Stir-Whip, Stir-Whip, Whip, Whip, Stir: A Gormaanda Story

Drac39 likes this.
  15. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Rogue Two!

16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Rogue Two: Many Bothans
    Rogue Three: Snap's Recon Mission

Alpha-Red and Bor Mullet like this.
  17. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    As a serious answer, I'm glad we got Solo because I genuinely really like the film a lot and consider it to be my Star Wars "comfort" movie, but maybe a Boba Fett film could have been more successful? Although I'd say Solo has probably the most dystopian look at the GFFA of any Star Wars film, Han himself kind of has the personality of a golden retriever that desperately wants to be taken seriously as a rottweiler, and it's reflected in the looser, lighter tone. A Boba Fett film by design would have to be a darker, grittier film with a bit more of an edge to it, and love it or hate it the fan base seems to really like that. It also might have contrasted more sharply against the anime fantasy/pulp sci-fi tone and visuals of The Last Jedi.

18. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    This is a great way to put it. [face_laugh]

19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Ponda Baba. Rogue One set the up with his cameo and then they just dropped it. What the hell? :mad:

Bor Mullet, TCF-1138 and EHT like this.
  20. Jamtia1

Jamtia1 Jedi Knight star 1

May 27, 2019
    Yeah I do agree that while the backlash of TLJ/LFL at the time caused for Solo's poor box office, I think a lot of it had to do with just the idea of the movie being engaging. Han Solo is a great character. But did we really need to find out more about his story? It also wasn't something fans were asking for as opposed to a Vader or Kenobi film.

But a few anthology movies come to mind.

A Vader movie
    A Luke Skywalker movie (honestly i feel like how TLJ, that felt like an epilogue for Luke, he could have gotten his own movie like Logan)
    Mace Windu (if he survived that is)
    I know legends aren't cannon anymore but a Mara Jade film or a Shadow's of the Empire/Black Sun would have been cool.
    I would say The Old Republic to but I feel like that could be it's own trilogy.
    I would say a bounty hunter/boba movie but we have the Mandalorian now.
    A Finn movie, to make up what they did to him in TLJ.

21. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    We they should have stuck with Boba.

22. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I liked Solo. I'd have been interested in seeing them do an anthology film during a period of Leia's life before the Rebellion. They put out that Claudia Gray book, Leia; Princess of Alderaan and it had some good action in it. It really made me curious about Breha Antilles.

It was a young adult novel that could be adapted just a bit and if they cast Millie Bobby Brown, they'd have an age appropriate actress who has a striking resemblance to Carrie.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  23. StardustSoldier

StardustSoldier Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 24, 2019
    I enjoyed Solo a lot as well. It was interesting to me to see how a lot of people were dismissive of the idea of Han Solo getting an origin story movie. I personally found it pretty cool, and even a bit magical to see how he met his lifelong friend Chewbacca for the very first time. Definitely not the sort of first meeting I would've expected. ;) There was also something alluring about seeing Han in his younger and more idealistic days, where he had a love interest long before he met Leia and having a mentor figure. These were largely things we never saw again; I liked seeing this era of his life and how different things were for him back then.

That said, given that there were a lot of people less interested in the idea of Solo, they probably should have gone with something else for the second movie.
    I actually think those would have been the better options. It seems like there was more general interest in having Ewan McGregor back, or just learning more about Boba Fett. Although conversely, if we had gotten those, then we probably wouldn't have gotten The Mandalorian or them doing Obi-Wan as a series instead, which seems like it'll be a better fit in the long run anyway.

Still, the Anthology movies was an interesting concept and I'm curious to know what else we would've gotten out of that.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I'd love to see something taking place immediately after ROTJ and how the Empire collapsing effects the galaxy. I'm glad that it looks like 'The Mandalorian' is teasing the subject matter

EHT and Bor Mullet like this.
  25. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Coruscant during ANH. Show the final days of the Imperial Senate, its dissolution, and the fallout from its dissolution. Show Sidious ordering the destruction of Alderaan and his and (if they find out) the people’s reaction.