main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Utterly Awful Completely Contemptible Please God Make The Suffering Stop Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 7, 2019.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    We are here to discuss the collusion of the boni to secure the benefits of the aristocracy against any and all Caesars. And/or Transylvanian and Walachian Voivods; preferably those not named Vlad Tepes or Bathory.
    Although any and all Voivodeships are open for dissertation dependent on their individual undermining of the Habsburgs and Turks.

You'll do grand.

2. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    I think I'm in the wrong thread.

Bor Mullet and Tython Awakening like this.
  3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I remember wathing Rome a few years ago, great show. I watched Spartacus last year and watched the netflix show about roman history. The Roman era is among my favorite of history. And All Hail Caesar. But remeber the tradegy of the legendary rebel Spartacus who made Rome tremble in fear.

Lee_ likes this.
  4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Rome's most valiant opponents were Hannibal of Carthage and a raging sea which a great Emperor commanded his Legion to attack.

Darth Chiznuk and Bor Mullet like this.
  5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Oh yeah, Hannibal. Forgot about him. I don't know mutch about him. I haven't researched so mutch into his history. I heard of him here and there. I know he was an enemy of Rome and killed many of Rome's generals and took over many cities allied to Rome until he was defeated.

6. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    The slave revolt was a real thing- different than the movie and show in real life, but it makes for some interesting reading. Some of the names were real life members of the revolt. It was true that they were much more formidable in battle than typical soldiers of the time because of their training. They were alleged to be much more brutal in general than they were portrayed in the show; committing atrocities of their own.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Well, at least they got to collect seashells on the seashore as consolation.

8. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    "Papa, Papa! Did you bring any trophies back from the battle?"

"See here, son. Look now upon these scales, ripped from the body of blasted Neptune himself."

*dumps a ton of shells on the floor*

"If you hold this one to your ear, you can still hear the wretched leviathan of the deep howling in pain as mine own sword tore straight through him."

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    There were actually three Servile Wars. Spartacus’ was the final and most successful of them. It’s amazing how close they actually came to overthrowing Rome and then when it became clear they wouldn’t win they almost escaped. If it weren’t for some pirates betraying them they would have made it to Sicily and then who knows what would have happened. Also as he was serving as a military tribune during the time it’s likely Julius Caesar served in the war. It’s possible this is where he became a patron of Crassus who bankrolled his early career.

10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I watched a netflix show that documents the life of Julius Caesar and seems to have him being under patron of Crassus, Julius early career in taking part in defeating Spartacus. What's funny is no one knows how he died or if he died. I like to imagine the tv show's potrayal of his death as how he died. Also if Spartacus and Crixus didn't split they could probaly have escaped or taken on Rome. I think Spartacus is among the best historical tv shows out there, with Vikings and black sails. Spartacus is among the most legend from that era. I hope we continnue to get more Spartacus in tv and movies, he deserve it more then other historical people.

11. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Speaking of Roman era and TV, there is a new series coming out called “Barbarians” on Netflix.

12. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    He in all likelihood died in battle or was crucified afterwards. Crassus had all the survivors crucified and lined them up all the way down the Appian Way toward Rome as a warning to any other slaves who might revolt. It’s highly unlikely that he escaped somehow.

13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    It is well documented that they didn't find his body or he was too unreconasible.

14. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    Amusing, these Roman pages. Where did it all come from?

I just navigated up that river - as it turned out, it was the Nile.
    Anyway:
    [​IMG]

Tython Awakening likes this.
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    No. There are several sources who say he died in battle and some that say his body was never found so it isn’t at all clear either way. However, there are no sources who say he survived.

16. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    not saying he survived but they never found his body, i personally like that he was buried by his friends. Also we don't really know enough 2000 years back. The longer back we go the more little we know of history.

17. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    The late Republican period is actually one of the most well documented periods in Roman history given the extensive writings that still exist from people like Caesar himself and Cicero. Anyway, this is sidetracking us from the lovely conversation we were all having. :p

Bor Mullet likes this.
  18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    yeah sure, still we don't know all about Caesar only his late life i think. and then we have Alexander the great who is Caesar's role model.

19. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    We know a lot about Caesar’s entire life. We know he was born in 100 BC and was raised in the Subura which was a lower class neighborhood (Caesar’s family was relatively poor), we know he was proscribed by the dictator Lucius Cornelius Sulla for refusing to divorce his wife who was the daughter of Cinna (an enemy of Sulla), we know he was saved from death by his mother who appealed to Sulla herself, we know he then served under Marcus Minucius Thermus during the Siege of Mytilene where he won the Civic Crown, we know he was kidnapped by pirates as he was sailing across the Aegean Sea, that he stopped an incursion from Pontus around this time, we know he became a lawyer once he returned to Rome and served as a Military Tribune in either Spain or the Third Servile War, we know his first wife died around this time and that he married Pompeia whom he would later divorce because of rumors that she had been unfaithful and that when asked why he divorced her he uttered the now famous saying, “The wife of Caesar must be above suspicion”, we know he ran and won the position of Pontifex Maximus in a race that saw widespread bribery on both sides, we know that he then served as Praetor and was declared Imperator by his legions in Spain which would have entitled him to a Triumph in Rome, we know he then gave up that Triumph so he could run for Consul, we know he, Crassus and Pompey then cemented their partnership with Pompey marrying Caesar’s daughter and that Caesar himself married for a third time, and that finally at the end of his Consulship he went off to Gaul and the rest is history!

So yeah we know a lot. :-B

20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Yeah most of what is known of him is his later life, i actually didn't know we knew of his youth, i know he was poor and his family is tied to rome in some way. Most of what i know is his later life not so mutch his younnger days. Do you study history by any chance, lol. I'm very facinated by this. For some Reason i just like the roman era so mutch and Caesar's history.

21. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    As a hobby, yes. :p Anyone looking to know more about Caesar (read the ancient sources first!) I cannot recommend Adrian Goldsworthy’s Life of a Colossus highly enough. If you want a fictional account of the Late Republican period then Colleen McCullough’s Masters of Rome series is a must read. It’s incredibly detailed and spans the time from the rise of Gaius Marius (Caesar’s uncle by marriage) and Lucius Cornelius Sulla to the civil war between Octavius and Antonius. She takes some liberties to make it more dramatic (most notably Sulla marrying a second aunt of Caesar’s) but it’s one of the most historically accurate depictions of the time I’ve read. It’s practically begging to be made into an HBO or Netflix series.

22. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Just to answer this Caesar’s family was of the patrician class which meant they were part of the aristocracy. His family claimed descent from the Trojan hero Aeneas. Their lineage likely traced back to the kings of Alba Longa which was an Italian city state that was conquered and assimilated into Rome early in its history.

So his family was quite prestigious but like many patrician families it had hit hard times during the Late Republican period. Caesar himself took on enormous debt in his rise up the political ladder and was consistently hounded by his creditors. He was on the verge of financial ruin until he made a fortune on the plunder of Gaul.

23. Freelancer257

Freelancer257 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 20, 2004
    The Daily Record, a Scottish paper, is reporting that a small crew will be filming in the Highlands in December for three days, to capture shots of the "snow-capped mountains and scenic views" for the film directed by Taika Waititi.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/filming-new-star-wars-movie-22855756

If this report is accurate, it sounds like these may be backgrounds for later compositing. I wonder if it's for scenes on Hoth, or maybe Vandor.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  24. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    It won’t be anything related to Star Wars because Taika Waititi is directing Thor: Love and Thunder first. It’s likely for that film if the report is even true. And excuse me but you’re interrupting a very productive conversation on Roman history! :p

Bor Mullet and EHT like this.
  25. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    In a SW thread. :D