main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Did Cassian Andor and Jyn Erso have feelings for each other?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by DarthVist, Oct 9, 2020.

Tags:
  1. DarthVist

DarthVist Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 20, 2019
    I never got the feeling that they had romantic feelings for each other. So if they would have lived, I don't think they would have started dating each other.

Sadie Erso likes this.
  2. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Yes, they did... One of the very last scenes together (coming down the elevator) you can see them in an embrace, and they are about to kiss. I just double checked then to make sure. Jyns arms are around Cassian's neck and then the screen goes black... I like this because it's left ambiguous - But that is not a common hug, and he is staring into her eyes. Hope this helps!

P.s - I honestly think they intentionally left romance out of this film as SW romance generally gets a lot of flack. Also, it's possible that with all the re-shoots that some scenes remain intact and others were chopped

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    natori, Sadie Erso and Bor Mullet like this.
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    There's a deleted scene where it's revealed that they fell in love in the elevator while trapped. 9 months later Rey was born, but they had to shoot her into space which froze her, causing her not to age. They then got out of the elevator and died.

4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Criticize the Empire all you like, but child-friendly elevator escape pods were a great idea.

5. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    Jyn and Cassian are a very "what could've been" case. In those last moments all they have is each other, and it's just this quiet moment of pure emotion as they wait to die. I think it was a good choice, and very appropriate to the characters and their tragic situation, to keep it ambiguous.

6. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I think eventually they would have. They would have gone their separate ways immediately after the events of RO, but still share a very strong connection and trust with each other. They got to know each other more than anybody else in their lives in just that short time they spent together, and depended on each other in a way that they probably won't with anyone else going forward. Eventually they would have found each other again.

Since there are Reylos, I'm surprised there weren't any Jyssians.

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    This isn’t too far off from one of the more notorious pieces of speculation we had to endure here during the lead-up to TLJ. :p

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Ah the good ol' days of 8SA. I miss that. That was 20 years ago, right?

K2771991 likes this.
  9. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    Well, considering that *I* have feelings for Felicity Jones and I've never even met her, I don't know what would prevent Cassian from devoloping some sort of attraction to Jyn even in the span of just a couple of days.

Were they in love? Probobly not, as they did'nt know each other long enough for that. Were they sextually/romanticlly attracted to each other? I don't see why not; I have romantic attractions to Sophie Turner, Gillian Anderson, Kate Beckinsale, Jenna Coleman, Gal Gadot, my neighbor, my cousin's friend and several of my co-workers. That does'nt mean I'm in love with any of them though.

I'm sure their are. They had great chemistry and are both attractive peaple, and truthfuly the latter is all it takes for peaple to ship things.

The "Luke+Jyn=Rey" thing?

At least it was better then "Han+Qi'ra," since Han would have to cheat on Leia for the timeline of that one to work out[face_thinking].

"You allocated money from safty reelings to this!?"

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  10. antitoxicgamer

antitoxicgamer Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 9, 2020
    Not every partners need to have emotional attachments to each other.

11. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I think you see things that aren't really there. They are neither in an embrace nor are they getting closer to each other, which is what would indicate an upcoming kiss. Jyn has one of her arms on Cassian's shoulder, which might as well just have to do with her needing to support him, after all, you see her basically having to carry his weight while entering the elevator.

I agree that they intentionally left romance out of the movie, and I do agree that the way that specific scene ends does allow for the possibility of a kiss. They definately have found a connection, which also explains the staring into each other's eyes, and there is indeed plenty of ambiguity. But there is no embrace, she doesn't have her arms around Cassian's neck, just one that is mostly on his shoulder, and there is no movement towards each other. Enough to suggest that something could perhaps happen, but nothing that clearly says it is about to happen.

As for whether all of that means they do have romantic feelings for each other, or are just going through the emotions after having experienced a life-altering event with each other, is really up in the air. There is no clear cut answer one way or the other.

12. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I don't care enough to argue... It's an embrace.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  13. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    They defiantly embraced each other on the beach (I think Ossan is right about the elevator - remember, Cassian had just been shot and then fallen a considerable distance; IMO it seemed pretty obvious Jyn was helping him walk), but as to whether they felt anything for each other or were just overwhelmed by the moment and acting on impulse I suppose is up to interpratation, barring express clarification that the movie does not give us.

I agree; hench my distinction between "romantic (emotional) attachments" and "love."

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  14. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    Hello

Rouge One is one of my favourite Star Wars movies, and I don't think that Jyn and Cassian were being romantic with each other. They were just finding comfort with each other because of their shared experience and because they knew that they were going to die

That's what I think anyway

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    There are no rules for these things. I have been in a relationship where I fell in love after a few months, and I have been in one where I fell in love in 3 days. The latter lasted 6 years.

Other than that, I agree with the entirety of your post (we also have very similar taste in women). To me it is beyond any doubt that Cassian Andor and Jyn Erso had strong romantic feelings for each other, but at the same time I am extremely happy that the movie did not have them kiss and instead had them hug each other when they were waiting for their death. It was.... the perfect choice.

I think the experience they had together and their characters and their chemistry would make it impossible not to fall in love with each other if we could somehow project this whole interaction onto the real world. If they had survived Scarif, they would probably spend their lives together.

16. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    That's fair, I suppose. Maybe I've gotten cynical as I've gotten older, but in my experience "love" does'nt really mean that much if it's not based on something and relationships - be it romantic or otherwise - don't tend to last long if you don't have a common ground to build on; Jyn and Cassian could be attracted to each other (or even in love) all they wanted, but if they survived Scarif and then made a go at being a couple only to discover they had no common interests (I'd argue that while the do at least some have things in common, the film frames them as being more different then they are alike)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  17. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    But all of that implies there is only one way to do relationships :p

Some couples work by being different. Some do by having common interests. Others by challenging each other. Who's to say which one is the best way?

I would also say that the dynamic between Cassian Andor and Jyn Erso is very interesting because they both learn from each other and evolve. They might be able to see another outlook in life after interacting with each other.

As far as I'm concerned, if two people have the same core values they can be very different and still make a great match. I would say both Cassian and Jyn Erso have the same core values. At the end of the day they are both fighters for the Rebellion against the evil Empire and want to protect people and liberate them. That should be more than enough, and more than most couples I know share as a common life changing experience. People have fallen in love for much less, aka because they had drunken sex at a party once and then they stayed together for life :p

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  18. MisterJedi2002

MisterJedi2002 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2017
    They would most likely kiss each other in the elevator and that was filed.
    Which is very good.
    This kiss would be played a lost in the film's story, which is about the theft of the death star's plans.
    I'm glad that they died as mere friends

19. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Eh, maybe your right. But I can't imagine just living with someone, let alone going beyond that, if I did'nt have at least some common ground to stand on; it would be a disaster. But who knows, maybe that's just me.

I have a lot of interests/tastes in common with my roommate, hence why we live together. I have other friends who I have significantly less in common with, and I would never live with those friends unless I had no choice.

20. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Hah ok, but we are talking about falling in love here, not a full on assessment of Jyn and Cassian after 25 years of marriage.
    At the end of the day, some relationships don't last forever, and they are as powerful and significant in someone's life as the ones that do.

K2771991 likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It was left ambiguous and I appreciated that, because I think a romance would be unnecessary and detract from the important part of the story.

Might there have become a romance had they both lived? Sure. But at the time I think they were too busy trying to get the disc containing Death Star plans and make sure the Alliance got it to have time to contemplate feelings.

22. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    I think we might also have different definitions of what consitutes "love" - or at the very least were coming at this from different angles. ("love" vs "in love," perhaps?)

At the most, IMO, Cassian is a guy Jyn knew for a couple days (a day? A few hours?), during which time they spent most of their energy focusing on other things and only warmed up to each towards the end of that span. I can see them feeling strongly drawn to each other (which could be defined as love, I suppose) based on magnetism/physical attraction, but then I could say the same thing regarding Han and Leia by the end of ANH.

23. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    No. Not romantically at least

Lobot's Wig and K2771991 like this.
  24. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    I think that when they were looking at each other in the elevator and out on the beach at the end it was because of a mutual understanding, and because they had completed a difficult and dangerous common goal together through hardship and loss. They were just two people trying to find comfort with each other because although they had finished their mission and bought the rebellion a chance, they knew there was no escape for them, and that they were going to die there. It was acceptance of death from two strangers who had been brought together through circumstance, and they were now going to die together. It worked better that there was no kiss like at the end of Rise of Skywalker. Not needed. That's what I think about it.

25. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    There wasn't much time, and certainly not much down time.
    It may have become something, given time, if they got to their "Empire Strikes Back".