main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fun and Games Forum Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Coruscant, Aug 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'm going to keep calling it the spam forum, because to me, that's what it is. People have been labeling the JCC the Wretched Hive or whatever for years. I don't care.

You want some respect for spam; you won't get it from me. I don't like spam or the spam forum. I'm not going to pretend otherwise. I think it's enough that I simply stay out of the forum. Which I generally have. I also don't mention it outside of comms. I don't go around talking **** about it all over the JCC.

People aren't segregated to the spam forum, spam is. You're all welcome to visit the JCC and post non-spam. Have you seen me tell even a single person who frequents the spam forum to get out of the JCC? Have you seen me treat them any differently? No, you haven't. I haven't seen anyone else behave that way, either.

Yeah, I saw your point, and I reject it. It's a spam forum. One I'm glad is gone, and want no part of. I suppose I could play in the Would You Rather thread in the Spam Forum, but I don't want to, and won't. It's not any fun there for me.

It's not quite identical. See my response to bacon below. I'm trying to reduce the number of insults.

First, it is us and them. I don't know if you've noticed, but JCCers generally haven't traveled to the spam forum. There hasn't been a great deal of crossover.

We needed a spam forum to get rid of spam. We created a spam forum, and it's been incredibly successful, and a number of people have said as much. The JCC is livelier than it has been in years. Threads that were consistently buried 5+ pages back are now active again, because they aren't being buried by spam. If we didn't need this, then why have people celebrated it? You can't argue with success.

No, it doesn't. It's JCCers who generate discussion. Put it in the spam forum, and you'll get the same old spam. It's borderline, but it's more of a spam topic by nature (not going to bother with a detailed argument), which is why I said kick it to F&G after a week.

2. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014

that is the whole crux of why people took issue with you calling it a spam thread. You don't need to "respect spam" or whatever else. Respect or don't respect what you like. I doubt Iron-lord cares what you think about spam threads. It's the I'm not going to visit that forum it's beneath me to do so attitude people are taking umbrage with

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I don't care what you call the new forum, it is the Fun & Games forum and as so many wanted the threads moved out of the JCC (Which is not the JCC but the Community forum) you got your wish.

If that thread is a game it should be moved asap, not when you feel the JCC is done with it.

4. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    To me, it seems like the kind of thread that falls in a crack between a discussion thread and a game thread. It could honestly be either. It’s like Schrödinger’s cat.

In the JCC, it’s a simple discussion thread. In Fun and Games, it can also be a lively discussion, but regarded as a game as well.

5. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    And still a new forum was created for fun and games... while some may think it's for spam only, it is not.

6. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    I don’t think it’s a spam forum. I’ve posted there a bunch myself, but not in the last few days, since I’ve been busy. I also haven’t posted very much in the JCC in the same time.

I reiterate, I don’t think it’s a spam forum. I think a lot of the posts could be characterized fairly as spammy, which is probably the rationale behind disabling posts in Fun and Games from adding to post count. However, it’s already clear to me even in the forum’s incipience that it’s a community builder and has brought posters closer together to enjoy the things they love. This is a substantial consequence, which elevates the forum above being merely designated as “spam.”

I also think the Would You Rather thread is one of those “fall-in-a-crack” style threads that could go honestly go in either Community or Fun and Games.

Dark Ferus and Pensivia like this.
  7. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    I wasn't saying you were Cor, at all.

Just reiterating the fact a whole new forum was created for game threads.

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    This was always going to be one of the obstacles with creating a new forum. I'm not sure what the solution is for the "in-between" threads. Maybe you do have to see what course the thread ultimately takes and decide from there, I dunno.
    Wasn't this just a technical error and not intended?

9. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Leona: Ah, cool cool, haha

I adore the avatar change! [face_love]

@Boba_Fett_2001 news to me, I might be a behind the times

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Healer_Leona likes this.
  10. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Not an error at all and fine by me.

Coruscant likes this.
  11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The fact that posts aren't counted there was intentional. However, the reduction in post counts for people who had posted in threads that were moved there wasn't.

Boba_Fett_2001 and Coruscant like this.
  12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    It was stupid that thread was moved. People were talking. It wasn't a +1 thread, Now it's moved to a place I don't post. Good job?

13. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    forgive me for being flippant, But is there a reason you cannot post anywhere else on the forums. Is it a technical issue?

Dark Ferus and Bacon164 like this.
  14. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    A game thread was moved to the Fun & Game forum. It doesn't need to be a +1 game to be there.

Sorry you won't post there.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  15. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Personally I like FNG, and I think it’s got a lot of potential. I elected to move “Would you rather” over for the same reasons @Coruscant so eloquently said - “it’s in a crack”. It’s just one of those nonsense short event threads that hangs around for a few days, we all have a play, then it sinks without trace in the JCC.

Over in FNG it might have a longer lifespan. It’s only two clicks from Community, piece of cake to navigate there, far enough away if you don’t.

16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Am I to assume this lack of post count is temporary?

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I believe we'd have to turn the post count back on in that forum to get the individual counts back. That would be up to @JoinTheSchwarz .

18. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    No, that was intentional. That the post counts would be retroactively affected was unexpected, but that’s not something that can be fixed.

19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I propose we add a third forum for such threads, The Inbetweeners.

what say you, mod ****ers?

20. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    We have one. It’s the unban request section.

21. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Way to become part of the establishment [face_plain].

PCCViking, TCF-1138 , harpua and 4 others like this.
  22. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Didn't take long at all.

23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    rip, darth "punk" @};-

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    He's still punk. This is just his "Cut the Crap" phase.

LAJ_FETT likes this.
  25. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    It sounds like that if you turn the post count feature on in F&G forum, it will only start to count new post only and not existing posts in the forum, is that correct?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.