main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fun and Games Forum Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Coruscant, Aug 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think we thought similarly when we moved the threads from one forum to the other - that only new posts would be affected. Surprise!

2. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    There's always the unexpected! :p

3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    So current state: A new user has 100 posts. 10 of those posts are in Thread X in the JCC. Thread X is later moved to F&G. The new user post count will then be 90, correct?

If that's the case, it might be a good test to see if moving Thread X from F&G back to JCC would result in the user being back to 100. Because if that's the case, it sounds like that turning on the post count in F&G could potentially retroactively fix what happened unexpectedly.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Correct, from what I can tell so far.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  5. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I lost about 1000 from my post count, but I think it makes me look more agreeable, witty, and dare I say, handsome

darthhelinith and EHT like this.
  6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    We should turn off all post counts and like counts for the entire forum for two months and see what happens.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    Diggy , tom, Darth Guy and 4 others like this.
  7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  8. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I non-sarcastically agree with this. We should encourage quality over quantity. Public post counts serve only to inflate egos and encourage making many small posts with little meaning. Turning them off site-wide would take away that incentive, and I believe the quality of posting, site-wide, would increase substantially, with less frequent but more thoughtful and impactful posts replacing many of the short posts that are banged out quickly.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    not entirely true for everyone with big post counts.

I have a large post count myself, not to mention my many socks and would love for post counts and things like that to be turned off completely.

If it was up to me, I'd also disable the most notable user lists.

Don't paint all of us with radioactive symbols with the same brush ;)

jcgoble3 likes this.
  10. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I never said anything about all users. I merely observed that there is no good and a lot of bad that comes from displaying post counts. Obviously for some users the post count does nothing because they ignore it or don't care. Hell, I couldn't even estimate my own post count right now (I'm on Tapatalk so don't have the star icon to hover over), though I'm certainly not the most active user.

But doing nothing is not the same as having a benefit, and there is no benefit to displaying post counts for anyone. (And feeding egos and making people feel good about themselves is a drawback, not a benefit, because they are feeling good about quantity, which is the wrong thing. Quality is, or should be, more important.)

Jedi Knight Fett and Dandelo like this.
  11. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    yeah I can understand that.

And although I don't personally post in +1 threads or if I do very rarely, I don't begrudge those that do. And most people I see post in them a lot actually do post things of substance in other parts of the boards. At least in my experience

(though in the movie sections what is there to discuss anymore in all seriousness)

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Maybe we just find the tally interesting. Why does everything have to have some deep meaning?

PCCViking and darthhelinith like this.
  13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I don't even remember the last time I actually looked at my post count (or cared). I mean, I'm not saying we need to abolish anything, I just think that number is useless.

FatBurt and Bacon164 like this.
  14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't want to make a whole Comms thread for it, but why does the JCC have separate "US Politics" and election threads? It never made much sense to me especially now that we have a fairly small community and there's a lot of overlap.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    harpua and Bacon164 like this.
  15. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I agree with that. The two threads are essentially the same.

16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I think US politics was intended for posts that don't involve the election, but there is a lot of overlap and redundancy. One example that should go in the US thread but not the election thread would be the plot to kidnap Governor Whitmer.

17. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Whitmer could have gone in US politics or coronavirus.

18. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    If Trump loses, I propose we move the election thread to Fun and Games?

Point Given likes this.
  19. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The custom is to actually shut it down after the election, to give the forum a rest.

If this year's results are contested, we might not be able to shut it down until quite some time after election night. Maybe weeks or more.

20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think at the time it was to avoid cluttering the US Politics thread with election posts as well. If they are in separate threads discussions don't get derailed by the election talk.

21. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    The reason I brought it up is that the US Politics thread, like @CT-867-5309 said, consists mostly of posts related to the election and often covers the same things. I understand that it's meant for topics not related to the election, whatever those are. In practice it doesn't work like that.

22. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    When the mods don't say anything people will just post whatever [face_dunno]

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    It would be up to one of the forum mods to remind people about the distinction.

24. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I suggested combining them because I don't want micromanagement. The distinction is not really all that clear anyway.

25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    All US elections are about US politics. Not all US politics are about elections.

That's the distinction I'd say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.