main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Official Disney/EU discussion thread.

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Guinastasia, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    This video-byte still works in the hierarchy of canon (G-Canon, T-Canon, C-Canon, S-Canon). In my opinion, Filoni's viewpoints reflect more on the new Disney-owned peripheral material and the effort to label them as canon. Filoni is saying, that based on his training. the books can't be on the same level as the films and tv series.

The problem is Leland Chee didn't invent the hierarchy of canon or dream it up. The hierarchy was already there without Leland Chee saying anything.

CampOfSorgan and Iron_lord like this.
  2. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Even if Lucas didn't see the EU post-ROTJ as part of his SW, I doubt he looks at TFA, TLJ, and TROS in the same way. [face_dunno]

3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    @Anedon, I would say that although Filoni was brought in to believe that, but he also went out of his way to elevate so so so so so many ‘non-canon’ concepts, most of which still ring true to Legends.

Yes, he did change some things, but he also went out of his way to incorporate Asajj’s old backstory into her new; he toyed with the Yuuzhan Vong; he used the Nightsisters for the first time in many years; let alone everything he’s done with Thrawn, TIE Defenders, and so forth.

Even if he was taught not to respect it, he definitely went into it and did more for Legends exposure than anyone we’ve seen.

The continuity between TCW/Rebels/Zahn/R1/Marvel is spot on. It’s sublime, and enjoyable, and innovative.

Will I lament what we’ve lost, sure, but will I allow it to colour myself to the potential of brilliant new products? No.

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

And who knows what we're gonna get moving forward especially with Mando and who knows what next?

Sinrebirth likes this.
  5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Precisely.

I feel much safer with Filoni at the helm, and with minimal films on the horizon.

6. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I think Filoni's like George, good as the overall guy but you want other people around him. Like Favrue. Or Taikai, or pretty much all the Mando directors

Also I think that Legends concept in general have become far more mainstream in the last 5 years in general and as we move forward they'll continue to be as well

Thrawn was popular but I do think Rebels being successful more or less as it was has boosted that

The films have sprinkled in Legends ideas in various way, from Palpatine coming back. Ancient Jedi and Sith sights, Solo has many EU references that are too much to count. Evil Solo child.

Essentially i see NuCanon as more or less mainstreaming various Legends/Books and other things and making them palatable for wider audiences.

It's essentially what the MCU has done throughout most of it's run with the comics.

Also I think people forget that when George brought stuff from Legends in George didn't care...It was like "Oh cool Red Twilike Sith ...I like her" it was all design not concept.

I think Filoni is a bit smarter and has been far more cautious with putting in Legends material than George was in general.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2020
    Sinrebirth likes this.
  7. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I do think they’ve rushed to get to an MCU level ‘verse and it shows but generally it’s going very well. The ST is not the be all and end all of Star Wars and it’s everything else that will keep us going.

8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean...Considering this is the EU community thread...That sorta applies for the Saga in general ;)

The more things change the more they stay the same [face_rofl]

Sinrebirth likes this.
  9. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Well given how his Nightsisters are little like the old ones, in like being Zabrak hybrids who pratice necromancy, and his take on the Vong apparently would have been dark side worshipping aliens from the unkown regions it feels to me as if he tends to create a largley new concept and then slap the name of a superficially legends element upon it.

But then again I would in general prefer Disney going 100 percent their own way and not trying to be a watered down legends with a few new ideas.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    Darth Invictus likes this.
  10. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Exactly!

@Anedon, the issue with that is... Legends is so big, inevitable similarities are going to happen, even if they didn't seize upon the old names and labels, we'd still have a Solo who fell to the dark side, Palpatine reborn, and so forth.

I appreciate it defeats the object of a reboot, but I don't think you can avoid the similarities.

11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@Sinrebirth

With the whole Legends being big thing ...I can understand why you would bring in aspects I mean Legends has something for everything so if you need the name of a specific type of planet or a ship that can do a certain function why not bring in something from legends that's relatively simple and easy to do. Concepts/devices and ships are relatively easy things to carry other

Now I can get where people might be hesitant with characters...BUT as we have noticed post TCW George that they have been way more responsible with brining in ACTUAL characters. Thrown being the biggest one but honestly he's sorta the easiest to do compared to others.

Sinrebirth and Iron_lord like this.
  12. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I’m not too sure this is true. There are ways you can construct an entirely different ST and EU that doesn’t hit major legends beats or follow the same motifs.

Palpatine returning for example is by no means mandatory. The downfall of a Skywalker is...likely. But it isn’t required. For most of the post ROTJ EU a Skywalker wasn’t an antagonist. Only in legacy of the force(I’m not including DE).

Inevitably the setting itself and the fundamental themes of SW will lead to some repetition or broadly similar concepts, but I refuse to believe SW is so limited that Disney could only mine the EU for ideas.

@Anedon I’m very glad the Vong weren’t introduced in TCW. What it was planning on doing with them would have destroyed the Vong’s whole purpose in the lore and themes.

Anedon likes this.
  13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

14. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    I mean thing is you could have gone even further in trying to make the ST more unqiue. Like instead of Kylo who ultimatley feels like Anakin and Jacen mashed together you could have actually made Billie Lourds character Han and Leia´s daughter and have her be a say Jedi healer, or maybe she simply doesn´t have the force coming after her father. Maybe expand on her role a bit but keep her something of a supporting character. So you would have a Solo daughter that is nothing like Jaina, yet with Bille Lourd playing her I think people would like it. By just turning away the focus from the Skysolo family when it comes to the next generation you would already be considerably different from Legends.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  15. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I’m curious as more time passes what things from Legends are ALWAYS gonna be remembered while what things will just fall into obscurity.

like I think Thrawn is always gonna be remembered

Revan as well

and Mara Jade

I could see the Solo Twins be a thing people remembered though I do wonder if Anakin Solo will be

Ben Skywalker I could see people forgetting

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2020
  16. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Thrawn is in the newcanon as well tough. He won't be forgotten anway. At best I could see younger fans eventually being suprised he existed pre rebels as well.

Bit similar to the Solo twins I guess causethey get compared quite a lot to Rey and Kylo.

Ben Skywalker and Anakin Solo don't really have a new canon counterpart so they have little keeping their memory around. Ben might have a bit more due to his name but there is little else.

Revan might still comback I think he was namedroped in the newcanon already.

As for Mara I feel that might depend on wether Zahn can eventually convince Disney to include her, and/or if Luke might get another LI in the newcanon at some point.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  17. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Mara Jade is such a significant character; I can't imagine they'd just introduce her in a novel. If they did bring her back it would have to be in a "significant" medium. My hope is that they would bring her back in a TV show, like Thrawn. The Mandalorian would certainly fit the time frame. And I don't think she has to exist as Luke's wife; she's a perfectly strong enough character to stand on her own.

18. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Mara’s significance is her relationship with Luke, and her relationship with him, the Skywalker family and as a microcosm of reconciliation between the NR and the Empire.

Bringing Mara back and not making her a Jedi or having her involved with Luke...she wouldn’t be Mara. She might have the name and appearance, but she’d be an entirely different character.

19. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    There are plenty of Mara Jade stories having little or nothing to do with Luke.

20. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Two books, and sections of TTT. And a few things I’m forgetting, but I’m referring to the aggregate.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  21. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    I mean I fell if Mara is brought back it will be done as with Paelleon, some reference, small appearance. Like something to make fans happy but without putting any real effort into it.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If only TCW was declared the beginning of a “Star Wars Cinematic Universe” in 2008 and the existing EU was declared “Coruscant-616”. We could now have a “Cinematic Universe” consisting of TCW, Rebels, The Mandalorian, Episodes VII-IX, Rogue One, and Solo and a still-thriving EU.

23. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    We had the hierarchy of canon with G-Canon, T-Canon, C-Canon, and S-Canon.

Sinrebirth and CampOfSorgan like this.
  24. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Yup, we did.

25. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Meaning that the EU was beholden to anything in the movies and TCW. Separate universes aren’t beholden to each other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.