main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph DuckTales (2017)

Discussion in 'Community' started by TiniTinyTony , Feb 25, 2015.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Life is like a hurricane and so was the episode order. Glad to hear it has been corrected.

Juliet316 and TCF-1138 like this.
  2. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Mark your calendars - new episodes coming on Sept 21st and 28th!

TCF-1138 and Juliet316 like this.
  3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Finally! [face_dancing]

4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Just read that there'll be an hour-long episode called Let's Get Dangerous!
    I'm ridiculously excited about that. I need more DW in my life.
    It will air on October 19th.

TiniTinyTony and Juliet316 like this.
  5. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Season 3 Episode 8: The Phantom and the Sorceress!
    This episode reminded me a lot of "Friendship Hates Magic!" (S2E14) as both episodes focuses on the girls - Webby, Lena, and Violet Sabrewing - and magic and the same plot element that love/friendship is better than hate and once again Lena's existence takes center stage. I don't want to spoil too much, but one of the characters is voiced by Giancarlo Esposito which didn't really stand out as one might expect based on his other roles. I would chalk it up to the fact he has minimal lines. I got a slight Thanos vibe from his character, but I guess it couldn't get too dark in a children's cartoon so it feels like the evil was reigned in a little bit. Overall, I'd say this was a fairly decent episode with a surprise banger during a montage scene so I'd give it an OKAY rating.

I'm happy the show is back and looking forward that we're getting new episodes each Monday from now until 10/26. The hour episode on 10/19 has me super excited too.

6. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    309: They Put a Moonlander on Earth!
    Another mostly Webby-centric episode with a focus on Penumbra adjusting to life on Earth. I kind of forgot she stayed behind.
    I do love me some Flintheart especially how over the top he gets, but his scheme either wasn't over the top enough or it was too obvious the entire time that slightly soured it for me.
    Things I liked:
    • Penumbra calls Webby "Smaller Della" and Dewey "Smaller Blue Della".
    • Penumbra observing Webby and Dewey feeding regular no talking ducks
    • The resolution of Launchpad and Penumbra's "relationship" that was hinted at earlier in the series

310: The Trickening!
    Nothing really special here. It felt like your classic sandbox Halloween episode where it could exist at anytime and nothing special really happened. Simple storylines where (A) the kids go on an adventure and (B) a certain character is played to be ignorant, and everything is resolved when both storylines converge. It almost feels like if they were going to do the "scary" one, it would included some magic and actual stakes.

Final thoughts:
    Huey and Louie need a little more depth moving forward. I loved what they did with Louie and his mom, but then that was resolved.

IMO, the way Dewey is written is to be the "fun one" so his character fits in more episodes which is why I think we see a lot more Webby and Dewey than the other two. Huey is the "serious, by the book one", and Louie is the "get rich quick one" which only works when the plot calls for it. So I think they need 5% growth / change to their character so they can fit in more storylines and they're not cookie cutter personalities in a cookie cutter plot i.e. the Halloween one.

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Finally caught up with the new episodes.

The Phantom and The Sorceress
    Fun episode. Very happy to see the Phantom Blot, as he was always my favorite Mouseton villain (one of the few worthwhile characters in the Mouseton comics really). They'd changed him quite a bit, but that didn't bother me. Kind of cool to get some backstory to him. Magica is always a delight, and I hope we'll see more of both of these villains.

They Put a Moonlander on Earth
    It was a pretty funny episode, but nothing special. I don't particularly care for Penumbra, so an episode starring her is immediately going to be less interesting for me. That duck joke, though, was hilarious.

The Trickening
    Loved it. I always like Halloween episodes, and this was a very good one. The opening theme was great, and I liked that James Marsters played a vampire in it (we just finished binge watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer yesterday so that was fitting), though I think he should have voiced Count Dracula Duck from the NES game.

So the next episode is Let's Get Dangerous, right? I have a theory regarding that:

It seems Taurus Bulba will be the villain in it, and it will most likely introduce Gosalyn. That sure sounds like a remake/loose adaptation of Darkly Dawns the Duck, the original Darkwing Duck pilot. Could this be a backdoor pilot for a DW spinoff show? Possibly show LP leave Duckburg for St. Canard, and therefore also the DT show in favor of DW.
    Could be interesting. I'm gonna rewatch Darkly... before this episode airs, that's for sure.

Juliet316 and TiniTinyTony like this.
  8. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    @TCF-1138
    The last episode was The Forbidden Fountain of the Foreverglades! which just aired last night (10/12). It was probably my favorite of the new bunch so far.

The next episode is the Darkwing Duck hour long special and I've been trying to avoid spoilers so I won't read your speculation. Unfortunately there was a commercial for Ducktales on during Ducktales which showed scenes I haven't seen before and I'm pretty sure there were some shown from upcoming unaired episodes. Specifically, for the Darkwing episode they show a closeup of Darkwing and in the shadows I saw what looked like
    Bushroot.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    Juliet316 and TCF-1138 like this.
  9. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Oh, right, I forgot that one. Haven't seen that yet.

I'm also avoiding spoilers for the DW episode, so I have no idea if my speculation has anything to do with reality, and I won't look at your spoiler tag either. :p

10. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    The ads I’ve seen on social media have heavily hinted at
    Quackerjack, Megavolt, Bushroot and Liquidator.

Oh, and in semi-Ducktales related news, Disney is rebooting Rescue Rangers as a live action series.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  11. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Catching up on the spoilers above now that I've seen the DW episode.

@TCF-1138 I have a vague memory of "Darkly Dawns the Duck", but from reading the description you're not too far off. I see those episodes on D+ as episodes 29 and 30. I'll have to check that out later.

@Chancellor_Ewok, I'm glad I didn't see those ads, because that was a huge reveal at the end of the first part of this two part episode.

Re: Ducktales - Let's Get Dangerous
    What made the Della Moon episode so great is the underlying inclusion of the NES moon theme and then how they put a new twist on it that tug at your heart strings. I was hoping for something similar here with the DW property, but it was felt almost too tongue in cheek. I get it, the DW cartoon exists as a show with the Ducktales universe, so bringing it to "life" among fans of the show like LaunchPad and Dewey, you're gonna have those geek out moments. I just didn't need their reaction shot to everything "cool" or emotional that was happening.

Overall, it was a good episode with some surprises I didn't expect and I definitely want to watch it again now that my excitement for it has leveled out. It could be the case that I hyped myself up too much, but it did have a good message of how family is important and I liked that direction especially if we're going to get these characters more in the future which I hope we do.

12. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Let's Get Dangerous!

Ooooh boy. Yeah, that was something.
    I was sort of right in my speculation regarding this episode. It's not quite a remake of Darkly Dawns the Duck, but it did borrow heavily from the original DW pilot. Taurus Bulba being responsible for the death/disappearance of Gosalyn's grandfather is straight out of the original show, and DW "adopting" Gosalyn is also quite similar.
    But this was also very much a DuckTales episode. I loved how effortlessly they married the two shows, which has never been done before (well, outside of some Disney Afternoon comics). Fenton helping DW to get his tech is a really fun nod to DW's and Gizmoduck's relationship in the old show (they were rival super heroes), Gosalyn and the triplets finally meeting was awesome, Bonkers of all characters showing up was unexpected and kind of cute, the Fearsome Four having roles in the episode despite them not belonging in that universe was a wonderful surprise - and Bushroot was terrifying. But of course, nothing quite beats the "A seamonster ate my ice cream" gag. [face_laugh]

What I was both right and wrong about is LP's role going forward. He's staying in Duckburg for the time being - at least during the day - but he will also go to St. Canard to be DW's sidekick. That's better than I thought, as that potentially gives us twice the amount of Launchpad, and he's just a wonderful character. If there ever is a new Darkwing Duck show that is, but after this episode, I'm almost certain there will be one. It truly felt like a backdoor pilot.

I'm going to have to watch this again, as I really want to analyze it further, but in short - I adored the episode. Now with Gosalyn in the mix...
    [​IMG]

13. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Last night, I watched the Darkwing Duck episodes "Darkly Dawns the Duck" Part 1 and 2, and I can definitely see what they borrowed for the Ducktales show. I always thought that Gosalyn was blood related to Drake so it's cool to see how they were brought together in DW 1991 verses now in Ducktales. I'll wait a few weeks for others to catch up before I talk about it openly with spoilers.

The other day, I was sad to see only 1 new episode coming next Monday with no new episodes in sight. I looked today to see 5 more episodes coming in November! Keen Gear!

TCF-1138 likes this.
  14. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    We might have just gotten indirect confirmation that a Darkwing spin-off is in the works

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  15. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Do you guys have DuckTales (original) and Darkwing Duck on Disney+? I just checked here, and we (Nordic countries) have neither -- only the DT movie. The Disney Afternoon shows we have on Disney+ are The Gummi Bears, Rescue Rangers, Quack Pack and Goof Troop. Maybe some of those spinoffs from Disney movies (Aladdin, Timon & Pumbaa, etc.) but I don't count those.

16. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    In the US, there are two seasons of DW (1991-1993) on D+; that's how I was able to watch "Darkly Dawns the Duck". There are also 3 seasons of the OG Ducktales (1987-1990). Not sure if it includes "all" the episodes that aired. The other shows you listed are also there, but again, not sure if it includes all of them.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  17. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Hm, Darkwing was banned here in the early 90s along with other "violent" cartoons after a horrific accident at a playground, but I can't imagine that ban still being in effect, so it shouldn't be why we haven't gotten DW yet. And DuckTales was never banned.

18. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Disney has uploaded the Darkwing episode to YouTube:

They really went all the way with the references this time, huh?

19. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Escape from the ImpossiBin!
    Continuing the focus on the theme of family from the previous (DW) episode, this is a fun sandbox episode that separates the core Duck family into two groups where each group has a separate but shared task at hand. While the title of this episode is the A story, the Beakley group is a strong B story that emotionally outshines the A story IMO. Without giving too much away, I do like how this episode implies some exciting future events. This episode encourages a revisit of past episodes, and IMO that's what a good show does.

20. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I enjoyed the NES Duck Tails game. Haven't seen the show.

21. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I think while possible, the key takeaway from the article is that - Angones told SYFY Wire. "If the opportunity arose, that would be really interesting and fantastic." So to me that doesn't sound like anything has been officially ordered, but they would be open to it. I think the Ducktales team will continue to build their universe and the Disney Afternoon-iverse and if there is enough interest for spinoffs then I'm sure Angones and team would love to be involved. IMO this definitely has the potential to be the "Arrowverse" of Disney.

If you love the game, then I definitely recommend the show. And when you get to season 2 episode called "Whatever Happened to [redacted]" then you may fall in love with that episode like I did.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    Juliet316 and christophero30 like this.
  22. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Darkwing reboot confirmed, but with Seth Rogen apparently?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    TiniTinyTony likes this.
  23. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
  24. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    The Split Sword of Swanstantine!
    New Gods on the Block!
    The First Adventure!
    The Fight for Castle McDuck!

The past four episodes continue the heavy focus on family.

Split Sword was fun because we have three pairs of two each with a task and a different lesson learned upon accomplishment.
    New Gods' main story was a good lesson how not to be. I liked the B story more as we got more Daisy and Donald interaction.
    The First Adventure had me excited just by the name, but young emo Donald was too grating and the story was lackluster. There were some cool Easter eggs mentioned that reminded me of the Ducktales 87 that made me smile but that was about it. It felt like this episode was put in just to tie things from the present to the past in a clever way.
    Castle McDuck finds us back at McDuck Manor with a villain from earlier this season. The episode explores sibling rivalry and overcoming it to become stronger as a family.

I see a Christmas related episode slated for Monday Nov 30th. I'm not sure if we're going to get any new ones in December. Hopefully it won't be another situation where we got "Last Christmas" on 12/1/2018 and then not a new episode until the following March 2019 and then not again until May of 2019.

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Ducktales has aapparently been cancelled.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.