main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Terror attacks in Europe

Discussion in 'Community' started by slightly_unhinged, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I know you're a literal person, but come on. The fact that the victims are dead (as of now) doesn't negate the second part of Vivec's point.

vncredleader likes this.
  2. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    When discussing legal qualifications of what has happened, yes, I'm a very literal person and don't follow the goalposts over to hypotheticals.

But moving to hypotheticals, if you insist, you can still get a string of murders without a terrorist qualification, provided there's no exploitation of the murders to incite fears. There is such a thing as hate crimes - and of intentional elimination of someone on the sole basis of their race, for that matter.

You'd get, at the very least, murder with aggravating circumstances (racially motivated). If there's an organized group committing several, you'd also be headed towards a crime against humanity (the qualification becomes genocide).

There's also, as in the present case, the possibility someone (not necessarily the perpetrator) exploit a murder to incite fear. You get a separate count of terrorism and/or terrorist conspiracy in such a situation.

3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    It's not, though. There was a string of terrorist attacks in Sweden a few years back, all committed by people on the far right against Muslims. None of them were convicted of terrorism, as "no specific group of people was targeted", even though it was a more specific group of people targeted than those killed in the terrorist attack in Stockholm where people of three nationalities were killed. But that attack was perpetrated by a Muslim so of course it was terrorism.
    Those convictions were all based on EU definitions of "terrorism", by the way.

Europe definitely has a problem with calling non-Islamic terrorism terrorism.
    Sure, high profile cases like Utøya will obviously be called terrorism, but "minor" attacks, and especially minor attacks against the Muslim population? Rarely. They're called "hate crimes" and we pat ourselves on the back for having legislation that protects minorities, and then we yell "terrorism" as soon as someone with a Muslim background commits a violent crime.
    To say that this doesn't happen in Europe is just false.

4. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Okay, the US and Sweden then.

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002

Rew likes this.
  6. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Remember that EU legal definitions and national legal definitions in EU members can differ.

7. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Obviously. Still though. To claim that we don't have that problem in Europe is wrong, or that it's only one European country that has that problem is wrong. It's a widespread problem that didn't use to be a problem twenty years ago but is now.

EHT, Rew and vncredleader like this.
  8. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    We absolutely have a problem in Europe - several dozen, even, as national contexts can vary widely.

I'm rather pissed off at us French this morning - why do I have to learn in English-written media about an attack that happened 4 days ago and went unmentioned in French-written media?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    Rew likes this.
  9. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    What attack was that?

10. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    TCF-1138 likes this.
  11. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Okay; forget I said anything. I will now claim the opposite.

I will also not spend time on researching long ass political posts anymore because what a waste of time that was.

12. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
  13. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    There's either a gross mistake or an outright lie in the first paragraph. The association in question - CCIF - had messaged against the teacher who got assassinated, and one of its members issued a Fatwa against him - that's two connections.

Darth Punk likes this.
  14. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Ugh, must I really read this article - or is vnc just trying to drop a Le Pen bomb?

15. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Would you please stop saying this? It's manifestly untrue. The underwear bomber literally trained with Al-Qaeda in the Arabian peninsula onsite in Yemen. He has always been called a terrorist both in the media and in legal posturing. He is siting in a civilian prison in Colorado, with the other civil liberties (and lack thereof) of other federal convicts.

No, not really. Certainly, the act has a broader message and is intended to terrorize. But the target of intimidation is not a political faction or stance. It is just an identity group. The message, if it can be distilled to anything, is that "Muslims shouldn't exist." In the same way as attacks on African Americans or pogroms against Jews, this position is being advocated in a way that is disconnected from any other fact. The victims were targeted just because of what they are. That's a hate crime.

I'm still interested in your explanation of how specifically messaging the elected officials of a country isn't a political message.

16. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    oh wow, if I didn't post it I would for sure not open that link given Le Pen. Its Jacobin so its safe, unless they took a very sharp turn as of late. For some reason their articles dont embed

Darth Punk likes this.
  17. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Three days ago, this was news in my country.

They found the hideout of a terrorist cell in Portugal. Galician separatists, and no, they're not Muslims.

On the one hand, I find it slightly irritating that “Europe” here seems to just mean France + Nordic countries; on the other hand, I’m starting to wonder if Iberia is just a bit different than the rest. Spain sure loves labeling every other separatist group as “terrorist”.

Lordban likes this.
  18. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Yinz do have a lot of them, from what I gather some in the ISIS sense others in the IRA sense

Though I have to ask, is there really a sizable Galician population in Portugal?

19. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Spain did have an excuse where ETA was concerned, though... [face_whistling]

La Calavera likes this.
  20. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Oh god ETA was huge in the media. They scared the **** out of people. My mom didn’t even want to bring her daughters with her to visit Bilbao when she had a conference there.

21. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    3,300 of attacks across 50 years (that's a pace of one attack every week!), with 829 dead and over 2,000 injured as a result. I understand your mom...

22. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    In the UK it was the IRA (and other splinter groups) when I moved here in the late 80s.

23. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    There’s a lot of discrimination of the Basque. Anyone remember when people used to say the folk of that region were the remnants of Neanderthals?

vncredleader likes this.
  24. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm waiting on an IRA resurgence over the next few years if Brexits bites and ends up forcing a border

25. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I forgot exceptions are the rule and you decide what is manifestly true, patriot act shamtriot act am I right? I wonder what makes the Unabomber get treated differently than the people thrown in Gitmo?

I get that because it wasn't shut down Gitmo has had to become a good thing to you or defensible, but maybe grow up and consider that maybe just maybe the Unabomber is not the same as post 9/11 terrorist or accused terrorist in how he is treated and that that says something about who qualifies as terrorist in the old sense, and who counts in the "human rights need not apply sense"

cause no I am not gonna stop saying that, Gitmo exists, the FBI entrapped "terrorists" who where mentally challenged teenagers, Obama signed off on the assassination of a supposed terrorist without trial who was a UK citizen until he suddenly lost his citizenship and was deported.

Kaczynski might not be the standard example, and when blacksites exist then maybe your random point about him is irrelevant. Stop with the CIA nonsense. Yeah he is in Colorado, but then why exactly are untried Arabs in Gitmo Wocky? Answer that? why does a white terrorist who interacted with Muslim terrorist groups get to be in Colorado but Arabs whose connection to terrorism let alone guilt let alone being enemy combatants are thrown in a hole with no rights?

We decided that terrorists count as illegal combatants and thus can be accused and detained or killed without trial or even providing evidence, and the Geneva Convention doesn't apply cause they are not POWs. Are you actually kidding me? You have to be to see that and yet think that the Unabomber being given normal civil rights means terrorism is not a term used to remove civil liberties.

We literally made it law that we can decide international and internal laws don't apply by keeping them off US soil, but preventing POW status. We violate the due process clause simply based on deciding someone is a "terrorist" and not a combatant, nor allowed to be imprisoned in Colorado and get civil rights. Your denial and ignorance of the human rights of Arabs outside of US borders violated by this nation is disturbing

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/nov/16/fbi-entrapment-fake-terror-plots
    It also very much true in the UK, but I'm not gonna get into my defense of Bobby Sands here. No matter what we use terrorism as a justification to restrict human rights and due process. The actual audacity to say that is not true is Islamophobic as hell

Honestly seems like unification might even be more likely given Brexit. Or some counties having a rise in separatism

Which sucks cause they are actually the oldest consistent language-group in Europe. It is not confirmed but it seems to be pre proto-indoeuropean. Meaning the language has remained intact since before even the Mycenean gods made it to Greece. It is fascinating stuff. What's funny is now some white supremacists actually want to be Neanderthals cause they stupidly think it means they are not descended from Africans

The ancient ties of the Basque show how idiotic "traditionalism" is, they are mocking a people whose refusal to assimilate is them holding onto traditions that predate our entire language group making it to western Europe.