main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Utterly Awful Completely Contemptible Please God Make The Suffering Stop Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 7, 2019.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Hey, some of George’s inspiration for the PT was the fall of the Roman Republic so... it fits. :p

RetropME, Bor Mullet and EHT like this.
  2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Star Wars feels like roman tale sometimes and is also regarded as a greek tradegy.

3. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    you gotta give the romans props for being able to take ***** in front of other people taking *****.

Jimbing likes this.
  4. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  5. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I much prefer the Spaghetti Western as inspiration, some of the best characters have that film genre to thank for their genesis.

Lee_ likes this.
  6. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Yep, and Eastwood's greatest, most overlooked film was High Plains Drifter, which was right after the Spaghetti Westerns, and took a lot from them. That took the Spaghetti Western and added some truly wild twists that are unlike any other Western, or any Eastwood film. That one is often mistaken for the Spaghetti Westerns because it looks so similar and was just a few years later.

Those movies were big influencers elsewhere in movie and TV storytelling, way underrated. Plus, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is one of the greatest titles to a movie ever.

7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Yes, but what of the exploits of Elanus Sleazebagganus?

8. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Not sure what happened after he went home to rethink his life,

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    He fell asleep, and the next day he was out selling deathsticks again.

GregMcP and Bor Mullet like this.
  10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    There's actual canon comic of him rethinking his life and having a kid, Leia and Holdo sees at some opera.

Lee_, Bor Mullet and EHT like this.
  11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Leia and Holdo have questionable taste in operas. There were probably a lot of available tickets for "The Avoided Tragedy of Elan Sleazebaggano the Rehabilitated". It's not a story most theatre goers would tell you. Or want to be told.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think it's the adventure comics, I remember remember getting a recap of it by someone on youtube. Leia and Holod watch as he's announced by the public.

13. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    If that is actually in Disney canon, I wonder if they thought that one through. If the mind trick could actually get you to think rethink your life resulting in major changes, it is more powerful than most of us pictured. It always looked superficial, like to trick someone into letting you walk by them, or temporarily not question an identity. That would be a mind trick that went deep.

14. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Well he uses the force to penetrate someone's mind, and if weak enough can take over them.

15. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I suppose, I just never thought of it in terms of mind control, but more a brief trick. I haven't read a lot of the books and comics, but certainly it's never shown extended mind control in a movie. I more thought of that scene as him walking away and going home, and then coming to his senses and going back to what he was doing. It's never shown long term mind control in movies.

16. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The mind trick may have quickly worn off, but rethinking his life changed him forever.

Riv_Shiel and Bor Mullet like this.
  17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    ... and it made for a terrible theatrical production.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  18. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Is that what the story said? I guess there are fanciful visions like that in drama and storytelling. Not that it is necessary to be realistic, but it most certainly wouldn't be. The world would be a different kind of place if drug dealers totally changed after sitting down for some self-reflection on their lives.

19. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    He thought about it, and yeah, it's a pretty good life. Good money. Out at nightclubs every night. The chicks dig you.

Bor Mullet, EHT and Lee_ like this.
  20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018

John Boyega says he's open to come back to star wars wether live action or animated as long as JJ or Kathy is involved. He likes the role Treverrow had for him. So i can see sometime in the future we vists them again in a few years.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  21. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    No, I don't know anything about the comic they're talking about :p

Realistically though, I think that's a reasonable assumption.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  22. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    A reasonable assumption about the way they took the story you mean? I guess in a world where everyone can turn good, even those who have killed planets full of people, it would be reasonable. Drug dealers in the real world, however, are in large part antisocial personalities (I work in a prison so I talk to them every day). They are not capable of that kind of insight. They would rethink their life and decide everything they were doing is fine, and the bad is everyone else's fault.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  23. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I don’t think the canon story implies long term mind control. It may just be that the kid had some vague residual remembrance of Obi-wan’s words, even if subconsciously and not overtly, and it sort of snapped him out of his funk. Not something that would necessarily happen to everyone. But in this case, it had that effect.
    Lol. That’s an extraordinary generalization. Major drug dealers might be largely difficult to change, though there are examples of rehabilitation there too. But there are plenty of people in the world that might have at one time sold a little marijuana, that no longer do so. Sleazebaggano struck me as a pretty small-time drug dealer. Don’t see what’s so incredible about him changing course.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  24. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    He never got home, anyway. He was struck down by an Ithorian speeding on a stolen speeder bike.

PymParticles , EHT and Bor Mullet like this.
  25. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    While not 100% true, it is true the vast majority of the time. Yes, there are people who have sold pot here and there that are pretty normal, but that is not usually what we think of with "drug dealers" (thus the modifier that I put "in large part"). Being a drug dealer requires a certain amount of ruthlessness, ranging from not caring about the damage to those you are dealing to, to actually harming or killing those who attempt to be your competition; a lot of drug dealers are in prison for the harm they did to their competition, not the actually drug sales; this can be small time street rats or big dealers. It just doesn't tend to fall much to those with a lot of conscience; mostly antisocial personalities.

Someone with sleazebag in their nickname, and according to depiction of his character- Always in search of credits, Sleazebaggano targeted both desperate addicts and unwise thrill-seekers. This is the sort of antisocial personality that doesn't sit down and reflect on his life and all of a sudden make total change; even normal people don't often do that. A low percentage of them end up really changing, but that is either a long process, or some "bottoming out" event (such as almost dying or going to prison, but even then they often don't). I am a graduate level therapist who sees these people for treatment regularly BTW, so I am not the laymen spinning half-baked theories as you commonly see on the internet.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2020
    Bor Mullet likes this.