main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion A "bridge" film between ROTJ & TFA would have been interesting....

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by QUIGONMIKE, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Jamtia1

Jamtia1 Jedi Knight star 1

May 27, 2019
    Barely anything would happen?
    Luke's rise and fall of the Jedi Academy Temple
    The first order rising.
    Kylo's turn to the dark side. How it all came down. Because we really still don't have a clear cut answer on that. Just different sides to that story.
    How Finn got recruited to the first order.
    Ok maybe you wouldn't need a trilogy but there could have easily been another movie where stuff was shown instead of told to us.
    All of what I listed seems so much more intriguing than what we got on screen with TFA.

And I get it. Nothing lasts forever, new wars start and conflicts arise. But the big issue was that it was the same exact conflict as the original trilogy. At least the prequels had battle droids and the trade federation to differentiate an era, but since everyone complained about that, we got the Empire still on it's feet, renamed the first order, Palpatine still alive and another Skywalker turned evil. If it was a new threat, or sure the remnants of the Empire with a new leader, like what Snoke was supposed to be, then we had something here. 1-6 was about Anakin bringing peace and balance to the galaxy. Originally he did that. The OT helped. But if the Empire and Palpatine survived, did the OT really accomplish anything? I guess for the time being, however long that is.

And no one was really asking for the mentors to have no conflicts, but at least have the show some growth over the years. Leia being the head of the new republic (oh but that would be too much like Padme and Naboo), instead of running into hiding with a group of rebels again. I don't really get how The First Order, which is supposed to be the remnants and remains of the Empire is still bigger than The New Republic. Shouldn't it be the other way around? I guess it doesn't need to be, but this goes back to my list of showing how the first order came to be this bigger threat instead of just because. Or how about her being the Jedi she could have been if Luke supposedly trained her? And that has nothing to do with Carrie passing/TROS, but they could have approached TFA having Leia being apart of that Jedi academy.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the big 3 were in the same spots as they were in the OT. We are fine with the conflicts, the war, the deaths, and all of that. But at least show they made some progression as characters over 30 years. That they built upon something. But for the sake of retread they had to keep the big 3 stagnant. Since we didn't see anything that happened between the end of ROTJ and TFA, we still see Han the smuggler, Leia the rebel leader, and Luke, well you got me there obviously not the same Luke at all from the OT. I guess at least with him he made the jump from Knight to Master. Though it would have been nice to see that Master actually train an apprentice. All of this is my opinion btw.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Obironsolo and Riv_Shiel like this.
  2. Darth Polo

Darth Polo Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 2020
    I think the timeframe between ROTJ and TFA could use at least one film but really there is room for another trilogy. I know CGI would be needed to create a young Luke Skywalker and other youthful characters like Leia and Han Solo but who cares the technology is just about there and will definitely be there in the future. There would be the new Jedi Temple and finding new Jedi to fill its ranks and also the movements of Snoke. They would need to create something like remaining stormtroopers who are rebelling and trying to still carry out the orders of the Emperor without his guidance, which fools Luke of Darth Sidious' survival. There would need to be Sith apprentices for Luke and his Jedi to fight against who are following the orders of Snoke as their master. We can even get some of Darth Sidious on the planet of Exegol and learn more of his clones and way of living forever. There can be meetings with Snoke and Darth Sidious explaining his plans of kidnapping orphans as new stormtroopers. We can get to see Finns family killed and Finn as a child. There can be some Easter Eggs of Rey and her family as well and Darth Sidious trying to find them. There can be some new characters that try to seize power as it would seem like a power vacuum after ROTJ. I would think entrepreneurs and charismatic leaders can become leaders with bright ideas of the future but are tricked by promise of money and power and support by Snoke to help create the new Starkiller Base and other weapons and wars in the sequel trilogy and other films. There can be many Alien wars between different Alien planets that Luke and his Jedi go to act as peacekeepers in protecting and uphold the law and order where Snoke was the one manipulating it all and instigating the wars to the benefit of Darth Sidious' new plans. I would think to make the character of Snoke enhanced along with Darth Sidious with using the 36 Stratagems and the book The Art Of War as their way of winning and fooling everyone. I would think there would be lots of fun new characters to create but many would die. Still, they could all have at least a couple of scenes where they are winners and some could carry on and live in future films. A good mix of memorable good guys and bad guy characters would need to be created as a key to this stand alone film or maybe it could go 2 or even 3 films?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  3. antitoxicgamer

antitoxicgamer Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 9, 2020
    In my opinion that would be a waste of time.

I mean, lots of fans even some people here dislike the way that Luke was treated in the ST. That movie would just allow the filmmakers to bring back "failure Luke" on the screen one more time.

4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think it's best to do an animated project of Luke and Ben and those who like to watch it can and enjoy it and those who dodn't like TLJ Luke can move on.

Samayel_ and RetropME like this.
  5. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    Agreed. People were DONE with the PT era when Clone Wars was announced. Yet, it turned out to be a glorious show that enhanced the PT.

RetropME likes this.
  6. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Aaaand it wouldn't have been made if the PT were not made.

RetropME likes this.
  7. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Especially after TROS I don’t have much interest in the sequel trilogy era as a future storytelling landscape. It doesn’t lead anywhere interesting to me. I’d rather they focus on the prequel/classic trilogy era or go way back in time to the Old Republic.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    RetropME, Darth PJ and Bor Mullet like this.
  8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    you might not be intrested but others are, I personally would love more Luke and Ben in early jedi school story. I think they have focused to mutch on the PT-OT era almost all media story is about that era gives more Sequel era content or before the PT or even post TROS with Rey and others restore the jedi and a new goverment.

Samayel_ likes this.
  9. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    That's because IMO, rightly or wrongly, Lucasfilm perceive that's where the majority of audience/fan interest lies. Personally speaking, I'd rather they focus on new eras of Star Wars (for better or worse).

10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think there focus are now on High Republic and when ever the new movie is about. I think Disney is that and LFL wants to move forward but also backwards. I see a patern with live action and animation series. first go OT, then slowly PT and little ST era. I wonder what new animation is doing besides Bad Batch.

11. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    All the content Lucasfilm is working on seems to be specifically placed prior to the events of the ST.

2Cleva and Bor Mullet like this.
  12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    yess, and i think slowly we will get content that expores plots like what happenned to the clones after the clone wars, the jedi purge, early rebellion, what hapens after the OT and how do people go back to normal after the war.

13. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    The problem with the post-ST world is that because the ST was something of a reset of the OT, the post-ST political dynamics are...generally similar to the post-OT dynamics, but with less interesting people still hanging around (as a bunch of them are now dead). So it’s a lot more attractive to do post-ROTJ stories than to do post-TROS stories.

14. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think it be can attractive to do both. Luke and his jedi, with Ezra and Ahsokain unknown regions. I think a stories post TROS can be quite good with things like liberating Corucant from the criminals who seems to be most in charge in the lower levels. Rey and Finn as jedi, with an elderly Ahsoka and Ezra. Teenage Yoda. I think stories can be atractive if you have a good enough story. I'm sure Filoni would love to do stories in this era now that the Saga is done.

15. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    If it brings back Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker them I'm all in !

cwustudent likes this.
  16. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I don't think Hamill will ever return to a live action story involving Luke Skywalker, but I can certainly see him returning to voice a young Luke in an animated show.

cwustudent likes this.
  17. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I’d like to see a bridge film or TV show. Even if it feels like a bridge to nowhere. Bridges to nowhere can be interesting.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  18. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Minor spoiler about The Mandalorian, season 1, first episode:
    The Mandalorian is going to do this bridge, sort of.

I guess that we maybe learn something about the Sith cultists and their moves to resurrect Palpatine. Maybe this is why the remnants of the Empire want the Child.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  19. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    People forget: there was a HUGE outcry from fans that the Prequels, more or less, skipped over The Clone Wars. We saw it begin and end. Never did we dream we be blessed with an animated series that would incredibly enhance the PT. Clone Warswas the show we never knew we wanted/needed.

Now, we need the same for the ST. A show featuring Han, Luke, Leia that fills in gaps and enhances the ST. We don’t need the OT3 to voice it, The Clone Wars didn’t feature the PT3. This is the way.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    Samayel_, cwustudent and Darth Smurf like this.
  20. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    I've been watching Batman TAS series lately. I want that, but with Luke!

Samayel_ and Darth PJ like this.
  21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    How about he returns as Muppet Luke?

Bor Mullet likes this.
  22. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    A bridge film where the big 3 re-unite - unlike what the ST gave us ......then YES bring it on.......

23. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    There are TONS of opportunities for this. A series that is computer animated (more realistic than the Clone Wars and Rebels). Utilize the Mandalorian to the max (they can use it to at least explain how Maz got the lightsaber). I suspect they will and plan to fill in the gaps. Just not with major big budget films (which we won't see for a long while).

People want to see the OT-3 together. They can do amazing things with CGI/computer graphics. We can will it to be done!

24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

No thank you.

25. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    Problem is that if you only do pre TFA movies you’re all but forced to fit the mould. They didn’t explain anything in the ST so now your seeing the Mandalorian writers having to come in and clean up the mess. It’s a shame. I’m personally really looking forward to a fresh slate in the far future.