main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The JCC mixtape, Part I (archived - playlist on page 1)

Discussion in 'Community' started by SuperWatto, Sep 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Thanks Watto a great playlist and a great journey you took is on!

2. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I like that we have time, so I can leave the songs grow in me.

BookExogorth and soitscometothis like this.
  3. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Yeah, I'm finding it quite difficult to choose on this one.

Diggy likes this.
  4. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I still can’t fathom how 12-year-old Proto Watto had such a scorched earth policy over his Star Wars figures. Maybe I don’t have to. You may have been done with it, but it was clearly not done with you. It’s poetic justice, it needs not to necessarily rhyme, or follow reason.

Side one of your mixtape is a bittersweet listen and read. ProtoWatto Was unsure of his place in this world, and had a tendency to play it safe in all areas of it. This passiveness would see life dictate its terms on our young hero.

I love how bicycles are a continuous theme through your early life, and still as much a part (there’s not a day goes by that I don’t feel remorse for murdering your bike). It’s funny how certain modes of transport are synonymous with certain European countries. The double-decker bus to England, the moped to Italy, and the donkey to Spain.

A lot of your most poignant early musical memories are wrapped in tales of love lost. While it’s better to have loved and lost, than never having loved at all, the scorched earth way in which many of your former lovers ended things have a certain karmic flavour to them. Perhaps the universe was saying “be careful what vibes you send out when you are 12, they can ripple through eternity.” Who knows?

Side two is a much bolder affair, and introduces the great Dennis Bergkamp, scoring arguably one of the greatest goals of all-time. On the highest stage, against the toughest of opponents, a sublime piece of skill, executed with a silky nonchalance. The Cancao Do Mar of goals, so to speak.

The tale of ProtoWatto becoming Super is all across side 2. If you can’t change the world, change yourself. The universe was still (and may always be) conspiring against you, but push back, and you might just earn its respect.

We see Star Wars rearing it’s ugly head once again. Did that stop this Watto? NOT ONE BIT. Many people go through this life as tourists of the highs and lows of others - you sir, are a participant. You choose adventure every time. Fortune favours the brave and for that, I salute you.

Why though, did you have to sell those figures?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    tom, harpua, blackmyron and 9 others like this.
  5. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I mean come on.

[​IMG]

tom, harpua, blackmyron and 3 others like this.
  6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Hell I sold all my action figures when I was 12 and those were the fairly stylish Power of the Force line models. Buff-ass Luke Skywalker looking like he was ready to trade punches with Batman. As he often did.

7. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I guess Punk was just born with a silver spoon in his mouth. I didn't have that luxury. If I wanted to listen to music on the bike (and that's all I wanted), I'd have to sell some of my stuff. The only stuff I had was Star Wars, and I wasn't going to play with it anymore.

I moved ten times since and my basement flooded twice. Do you really think I'd still have those action figures? I would have used them as a breakwater. No, selling them was one of my smarter moves.

It just sucks that I sold them when they were worth least.

Ramza, Rylo Ken and Darth Punk like this.
  8. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Hey, that Luke still has the end bit on his lightsaber. Did that kid even Star Wars?

9. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Also, you live in the Lowlands - what the **** were you putting stuff in basements for?

Obi Anne and SuperWatto like this.
  10. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    What does that matter? The whole country's a basement.

/ric olie voice

11. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Weird, I thought England's favorite ride was the classic "foreign au pair".

solojones, Rylo Ken, Diggy and 3 others like this.
  12. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    I’ll admit, that bit was for you.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Now I want pictures of 48 yo Punk playing with his Star Wars dolls.

Also you’ll be pleased to know I didn’t sell any of my Star Wars stuff. Dear mother gave it all away [face_plain]

14. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I sold the action figures to a guy called Wimpy.

His father owned a cafe on my block. Wimpy would inherit it someday.

Wimpy was a couple of years younger than I was, richer, and he had a VCR in 1983. He had the ROTJ bootleg even before I knew the film was already out in the US. I watched it at his place, and was underwhelmed. He got the Emperor action figure before it was out here, and it was ugly. He got newer Ewoks. All meaning was lost to me. I was done with that ****, man.

Wimpy did inherit the cafe about ten years later, and took off with the till. To Spain!

[​IMG]

15. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    My grandfather did the same thing with mine. So, of course, I had no recourse but to start smoking.

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Wimpys are known flight risks when it comes to financial dealings. Many of them will claim they’ll pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today, but the next thing you’ll know, they’ve carted off to Cannibal Island.

17. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I had a random assortment of Star Wars figures that could in no way be described as a 'collection'.

My most cherished Star Wars possession as a child was a picture-heavy kid's book that only covered the first half of the movie, and confused the **** out of me because it had screenshots and text from the cut scene involving Biggs and Luke at the beginning of the movie, leaving me to question my own memories of watching it.

My most cherished Star Wars possession as an 'adult' is the Star Wars Atlas BECAUSE I HAVE A ****ING PLANET NAMED AFTER ME. PROBABLY.

18. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    My most cherished Star Wars possession is Rey's speeder in LEGO. It started a wonderful time of collecting and building LEGO Star Wars sets with my youngest daughter. We got all that old stuff again, and more!

She wants to sell it.

19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Currently listening to Watto's list, and pleased that though it is very Euro, it is not super weird or esoteric. Enjoying it.

Speaking of Europop, are any of you familiar with this song? I encountered it in Finland where it's a classic.

Darth Punk and SuperWatto like this.
  20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Did you know that the Wimpy was co-opted by a british/south african burger chain? No flight risk from the mascot (on the left)

[​IMG]

Ramza, Darth Punk and SuperWatto like this.
  21. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Suggest she wait until she's older. My son wanted to sell his collection when he was that age, and found a new love for it, 5 years later.

SuperWatto likes this.
  22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    No, but that does make sense; there’s Popeye branded spinach.

Mind you, it’s bagged spinach, and thus much better than canned, but y’know, the principle of the thing.

Diggy likes this.
  23. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    My dreams tonight will be haunted by visions of Wimpy on the back of a donkey, carting a till and a box of pre-loved Star Wars figures past a young JTS smoking an enormous spliff.

24. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    No - but that’s how I imagine Wimpy looks

SuperWatto and soitscometothis like this.
  25. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    It was the only non-metal song anyone on the cruise between Sweden and Finland selected for karaoke. I loved it. It wasn't depressing!

Of course once we American students got to karaoke, we did Living on a Prayer. And the Finns and Swedes were annoyed.

Darth Punk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.