main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Scribble Pad (Fanfic Writing Discussions)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Jun 18, 2017.

1. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Kessel Run Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

May 11, 2016
    If its based on a bad/cheesy holomovie the outfit might actually be a bit more sexy/provocative than what a Jedi would usually wear. As in the movie the female Jedi might be there for eye candy

On the other hand it could be an extremly martial sort of armor. Maybe the movie portrayed Jedi as much more warlike than they actually are?
    Or maybe its some weird combination of the two?

Depends on the series in question I would guess. In a more episodic format like a crime/detective series or even something like Supernatural I think its pretty easy. In something like say Lost it might be harder because that series deliberatly kept many details on both the characters and there backgrounds as well as the island itself in the dark for season after season.

I think @GregMcP is right best mention simply how far you've watched as it would prevent confusion if a later season does contradict some of it and also prevents the reader from maybe accidentially spoiling that aspect of it.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Or the other way around all the male Jedi being played by space-Fabio and space-Orlando Bloom, and dress in very tight shirts that have a constant tendency to be ripped or get we.

devilinthedetails and pronker like this.
  3. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Kessel Run Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

May 11, 2016
    I supose, it would most likley have both in equal measures.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  4. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    I just went and googled “sexy Jedi costume” and...ahh...found both male and female versions of wearing very little.

Also no-one needs a sexy yoda costume. No-one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devilinthedetails and Gamiel like this.
  5. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    There's a sexy version of every costume.

And thanks all! I am going to start writing fanfic for this fandom! Also for some reason I thought there was 7 seasons, there's only 6 and I'm over half way through 5 (and they are only like 15 episode seasons and 20 minutes long each). Needless to say, even if I do try to stretch out the enjoyment (oh, but I will be rewatching once I'm done!) I doubt I'll get to the posting phase of my fic before I'm finished the series so I can go back and edit if I get anything I've gotten wrong. But I do have a vignette bouncing around I'm going to write pre-november (but it takes place during an episode so I don't think I'll conflict anything which is always my worry).

So my mom said something today that was really profound and I just wanted to share here. It was in the context of a sewing project I've started and I really don't know if I'll ever finish (it's a long story consisting of a lot or fabric she gave me to do something for her). She said I think keeping busy right now is more important than finishing. And yeah I think that just really applies to other hobbies right now including fanfic. And not just in our current situation (though maybe more so the keeping busy part to stay sane). Going back to the conversation we had a few days ago, I think yeah sure, finishing is great (both fanfics and sewing projects) but even if you don't finish something, you still learn stuff along the way. Anyway, so I am now on a bit of a quest to keep busy rather than to finish. So I'm going to plunge into a new fandom (at least for NANO) and not care if I get it done.

6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    For me, it depends on the series/what medium it is/how long it is. I didn't start writing fanfic for The Expanse until I'd finished the show, because I was bingeing and it was only 4 seasons worth. But I didn't wait until I was done with the books because they take so much longer (I've still not finished them). It was really hard not to read fanfic before I'd finished the series, though. (I'm really careful about reading anything that uses the books past where I am, people in that fandom seem to be pretty good about tagging).

I don't know why I like to wait, I think I just want to know the canon before I dive in, at least with regards to a TV show or movie. I might not stick to it, but I like to know it.

It really is! I've yet to post any of my Expanse stuff anywhere else because it's hard to start. It doesn't seem to be a huge fandom, but I don't know, it just makes me nervous.

I've seen other people do this and it is kinda fun! It's kinda the same as writing something still on the air and future installments haven't aired yet, it's speculative fanfic. It's just if everything is already out, your audience might know more than you, but I don't think most people would mind.

7. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    I found it! Thank you everyone for your suggestions - was searching for something else and I found the right outfit. [​IMG]

8. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @Briannakin Oh, I really like your mother's perspective there. It's so true that right now especially it is more important to keep busy doing something we enjoy and find meaningful than to necessarily finish the projects we are starting and working on. Sometimes a lot of the best moments and experiences come from working on a project (whether it's a fanfic or a craft) rather than in the actual moment of completing it. And with the pandemic, it can be easy to get down on oneself or feel as if things are purposeless, so having a project can be a powerful thing to focus on. So that advice really resonates with me, and I will try to focus on it when I start getting critical with myself for not finishing everything I start. Sometimes the joy is just working on things that we are passionate about and feel inspired by. There doesn't even need to be a purpose of completion beyond that joy. Just a joy in the doing.

9. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    I woke up this morning and thought, "Ahah! Siri Tachi!" whose outfit was described as out of the norm as was her early assignment to go undercover as a pirate ... *( channels longago EU )* ... glad you found the perfect outfit!

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    You call that an undercover space-pirate look? Don't she know that a real space-pirate shows some skin, like Crimson Jack:
    [​IMG]

For extra dashing would I suggest a cape instead of a coat.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  11. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    *gigglesnort* Okay, now I need to google Crimson Jack because that panel looks Carmine Infantino-ish to me ...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Exactly! Thank you! You took what I was thinking last night and put it into intelligible words. The idea of finishing NOT being the "goal"/purpose really resonated with be because it's a bit counterintuitive to the way I normally think but it's the way I (and a lot of people) need to think right now. Obviously, in terms of fanfic, I personally wouldn't go out and start five 50k epics, because I know that's a sure way to kill my muse. Sprinkling in vignettes/short fics for a sense of achievement is something I know I need, but I don't want to persuade myself not to start a longer fic just because "I might not finish it". And this could also apply to new fandoms, styles of writing, genre, etc. Worse case scenario is you entertain yourself for a few hours, and best case you might actually finish something you normally wouldn't even have attempted.

I don't want to be the Debbie-Downer and keep bringing up the global situation, but some of us are in for a LONG winter (she types as it is currently snowing), but finding that joy in just working on something (or just working on something for the sake of just keeping sane) is going to be really important.

IDK, my mom isn't exactly known for her words of wisdom, but her words really resonated with me. I might even put them on a sticky note and put it in my wall.

13. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    So I joined the Reddit Fan Fiction community and some amazing person was doing covers for fanfics...
    ...and I jumped on the thread not expecting anything...
    ...and we got in contact...
    ............................................................and they made me a cover for my upcoming (eventually) fic!

...............................................................and a trailer! I have a trailer~!!!!!!!!!!

Cover

Trailer

I'm so excited!

Now I just need to finish it, proof-read it and then post it!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  14. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Hello all. I have recently decided to take the plunge with Star Trek: Lower Decks to see what all the hype/derision is about. Surprisingly, I have enjoyed the first five episode and have become fascinated by one of the leads, Beckett Mariner. She is a rebel in that, though she loves Starfleet and the Federation, she is frustrated by the bureaucratic red tape. She is impulsive and often takes matters into her own hands, breaking protocol. She speaks a mile a minute and what she says can vary from poignant to profound to hilarious and absurd.

[​IMG]

My writing quandary is how to approach such a manic, chaotic character. I don't want to simply copy what she does on the show because it might seem trite and one dimensional. However, the show in general has an absurdist bent.

What do you suggest?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I've seen a couple episodes of Lower Decks (visiting my sister one afternoon, she loves it and it is definitely on my "to watch" list next time I need something just totally absurd). I think you have a few have a few different options. 1 - embrace the show's tone. Anyone who has seen it will know it's insane. 2 - INNER MOTIVATIONS! One of the things you can do with writing that you cant do with most shows is get into character's heads. Explore her conflicts with her mother (etc) from inside her own head and how that reflects in her actions. 3 - Embrace fanfic! Fanfic allows you to take a show in one genre and put it into a different genre. Heck, Lower Deck basically does that by taking the Star Trek Verse (commonly categorized as "action/adventure) and putting it into the comedy genre. In your author's notes you can say you are dialling it back and putting a more traditional "action/adventure" spin on these characters. Of course then the challenge is reimagining the characters a bit more "serious" without making them OOC.

16. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks for some great thoughts, @Briannakin! I will try them all. I want to access the insanity of the show especially for Beckett. For a character not rendered in too much detail she's also kind of sexy. I think that is purposeful within the show.

I have had success with banter in the past but, as with Downton Abbey, there is a challenge trying to present the characters properly. I want to do them justice so we will see what happens.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  17. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Does anyone know if Star Wars has a printed ‘newspaper’? If not does anyone have one that they use for their work?

I’m asking for another a fan writer.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

18. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Anyone have tips for moving on when a story isn’t working for you? I’ve been working on a story that just isn’t coming together for me. I tried it in third person and first person to see if a POV change would help, but I get to a point and just can’t get any further. It doesn’t seem in character and generally makes me go “meh”. So I think it’s time to set it aside.

My problem is that I don’t have a clear idea of what I do want to write, and I don’t want to get stuck in the same cycle of trying to write/not been able to write/ being ashamed of not writing/avoiding writing. How do you handle it when you have a story you (for whatever reason) decide it’s time to move on from? How do you keep yourself moving?

19. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Go pick a "Challenge" and write a little single chapter story for it. Get all wrapped up in a new silly idea for a bit.

A Challenge giving you a word or a paragraph to spark an idea or a mood. Makes it a whole lot easier to get your juices flowing.

Nothing wrong with the unfinished story sitting there in your Documents folder. Maybe someday you'll have a Eureka moment.

20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Like GregMcP said, there's nothing wrong with letting an unfinished fic go unfinished. Theres also nothing wrong with just writing a fic you feel "meh" about just for something to do (I'm not sure you read the above discussion about keeping busy VS finishing.)

My suggestion would be to try something completely different. Is there a completely different fandom that you think you would have fun writing in? Maybe try it out for a vignette or challenge piece and see where it takes you.

21. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    I haven't been having much luck with challenges lately. I've taken prompts for several of them, but they’re not really prompting anything.
    I really don’t have any other fandoms to try. I’m so far behind on the pop-culture curve; I don’t get out to movies (y’know, when going to the movies was a thing :p). My daughter is autistic, and for whatever reason, videos and TV are a trigger for her. Pretty much the only shows I can watch without her getting upset are nature documentaries. I’m not even sure what I could do that’s truly “different” within SW. I guess I’m sort of dug into my little niche (or rut, depending on how you look at things). Makes me feel quite boring :p

22. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    I miss the going-out-to movies! The last one in a theater I saw was Aquaman so it's been awhile, but the anticipation of the film and being part of an audience thrilled and delighted me during the 10 mile drive downtown. Ho hum, back OT ... might I suggest writing a metafiction? It could work in any person, I think (so you see, dear reader, Luke and Leia only put off their grieving for those who raised them they weren't callous oh noooo) well I think that is an example. I've struggled with visualizing exactly how one could go. Here's the wiki description: "Metafiction is a form of fiction that emphasizes its own constructedness in a way that continually reminds readers to be aware that they are reading or viewing a fictional work. Metafiction is self-conscious about language, literary form, and story-telling, and works of metafiction directly or indirectly draw attention to their status as artifacts." I kindasorta tried one with "Cartoon Forgiveness" here.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  23. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    My two cents would be to write another Infinite Ezra story, but make it a drastic genre change. Take him out of the GFFA and place him, and the other Spectres, in a different historical or futuristic setting. You can stay true to characters but drastically change up their setting.
    Just a suggestion. ;)

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have an old genre list from a tumbler AU promt for that kind of thing if anybody is interested.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  25. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    How does that work in regards to the non-Human characters, though? Do they simply get converted to Human, or do you just have a random Lasat cowboy/pirate/whatever?

pronker likes this.