main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Amph Sci-fi movies of the last decade

Discussion in 'Community' started by SuperWatto, Oct 25, 2020.

1. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I've seen that about five times. It's a while ago, maybe I could watch it with the kid.
    There's pages and pages on this site of @Rylo_Ken and me arguing over its merits. Then it suddenly stopped - I wonder why...

Rylo Ken likes this.
  2. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I missed it at the cinema (just like everyone else), but took a chance on the dvd and did not regret it. I've seen it about four times, though not recently. It's fun. Fun sci-fi is not so easy to find these days.

Sarge and SuperWatto like this.
  3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Called it!

4. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The first time I saw Dredd I was pretty turned off by it, but I've watched it twice since, and every time it's just a little bit better. It has such a tight, focused story, fun dialogue, makes efficient use of its limited budget. I can't even remember why I didn't like it at first. It was probably something stupid like the Slo Mo effect got on my nerves.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  5. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Starship Troopers is a good one, although late 90's. Entertainment Weekly hailed it as the next SW; alas it was not. But quite a fun movie, if super violent.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Starship Troopers, like all of Verhoeven’s oeuvre, has aged like a fine wine.

7. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Predestination which is a brilliant time-twisty story .

Tomorrowland which is tremendous fun and a real antidote to all these ****ing dystopia movies.

christophero30 likes this.
  8. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I'm googling if it's got Natalie Portman before I watch any of it.

9. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Midnight Special - another small and satisfying Jeff Nichols movie. Not quite as good as Take Shelter but still a hoot.

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm guessing they missed the obvious point of the film.

11. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Is Melancholia sci-fi?

Upvotes for Upstream Color, Snowpiercer, and Her.

I didn't know anyone actually liked Star Trek Beyond, so this thread has taught me something (I haven't seen it). I myself would like to watch that and Tomorrowland, which I never saw bc it bombed or w/e.

Glitterstimm and Rylo Ken like this.
  12. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Hell yes. Say what you want about the movie as a whole, it's as Lars von Dreary as the title suggests, but it does contain the most heartwrenchingly beautiful destruction of earth and end of all life as we know it sequence ever filmed.[face_love]

3sm1r and Boba_Fett_2001 like this.
  13. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I loved Upstream Color, but I can't bring myself to revisit it in light of Shane Carruth being a domestic abuser.

14. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Definitely including Dredd. That was a terrific adaptation, Karl Urban nailed it.

Also, Source Code.

Attack the Block
    was fun.

15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    "embers" was kind of cool for something more low budget. also two of my best friends did the score.

16. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    One that flew under the radar but I really liked was Prospect. A space western with Pedro Pascal.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets was quite underrated imo, one of those movies that outperformed Disney star wars, the visuals were extravagant and gorgeous.

Prometheus gets a lot of criticism (much of it fair) but it is probably my favorite sci-fi film of the decade. I love its themes, and Ridley Scott's signature Freudian horror is inimitable.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  17. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Attack the Block - definitely my favorite John Boyega movie. These little digs at Star Wars are so unnecessary, but after all these years, they still bring joy.

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Dredd is one of my favorite movies- it's just so rewatchable.

Source Code is really solid too. Source Code and Edge of Tomorrow would make an outstanding double feature.

STB was pretty well received for feeling the most like a TOS episode of the three JJverse films.

Tomorrowland is a really good family/kids adventure film with some noble ideas behind it, but it kinda stumbles in the third act. That doesn't kill the film, but prevents it from being a classic. It has a refreshing, optimistic message (which is pretty much about conquering pessimism) as a nice change of pace.

Jedi Ben and Master_Lok like this.
  19. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I think we can all agree that “Edge of tomorrow” has Tom Cruise in it. Rumor has it “Oblivion” does too.

The2ndQuest and SuperWatto like this.
  20. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You'd think that, but half the time it isn't called Edge of Tomorrow, so...

21. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    It’s ridiculous how many Americans did. It’s like there’s something in the culture here, but I can’t put my finger on it (for fear my finger would get shot)

22. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    "Live Die Repeat" is hard to argue with as a title, and I can see the point of not using "All You Need is Kill" but where the hell did "Edge of Tomorrow" even come from?

23. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Edge of Tomorrow is way better. This is a case of:
    "It's a flop! Maybe the title is too complicated for people? What's the script in three words. Preferably blunt and tough."

Rylo Ken likes this.
  24. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Articles at the time are really vague beyond some studio president saying they didn't want the word "Kill" in the title, so I'm guessing it was like a 1000 page marketing presentation about how good the words Edge and Tomorrow sound or whatever.

Alternatively, it was similar to the Poochie naming process.

25. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    “Edge of tomorrow” is a hilariously dumb-sounding title though.

Rylo Ken and christophero30 like this.