main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC new best friends club thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by tom, Dec 15, 2014.

1. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I'm slow. I'm only starting to understand now.

So you said to your daughter "you don't have to wear that", and then somebody who's not her parent basically said "ignore your mother, wear it"?

I can't even imagine.

Maybe you did become too friendly with them then. Give them the cold shoulder for a while.

Juliet316, harpua and Jedi Ben like this.
  2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    If you are getting all the feedback, they are cave people. Mike needs to step up have a talk with his fam.

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Thanksgiving is coming. It's a splendid opportunity to give in-laws food poisoning.

4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    This year I don't have to see hardly anyone at the holidays due to COVID. Silver Linings.

5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, so I’ll be incredibly bummed that it won’t be the same this year. The silver lining for me is that my JC anniversary falls on that date, so there’s that. :p

Juliet316 and Lady Mary like this.
  6. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    I meant to talk to Mike about it last night but fell asleep before I could. Here’s to trying again. I’ll have to at least explain why I am not interested in multiple visits a week anymore.

Edit: I forgot about thanksgiving. I’ve been so focused on Christmas. I’ll make turkey my upcoming happy thought.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Juliet316 likes this.
  7. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    You'll definitely have good cause to celebrate then! [face_party]

8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Really, he should tell them to back off.

9. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    The only milestone you should worry about is the Moro reflex one. Bunch of garbage.

Agree with everyone. Get Mike involved.

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Thank you! It is the most logical course.

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The milestone thing is perplexing to me. It’s such a “now” concept, and yet so Victorian.

Yvette, I bet you’re an extremely nurturing, loving parent. You aren’t raising a brat at all, you’re raising someone who will know they are loved and springboard off of that. These in laws seem to want you to be a control freak. That will not end well.

it’s also none of their business.

12. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    also, multiple visits to/from the in laws a week? that sounds a tad overbearing.

13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Do they show up unannounced? They sound like people who do that.

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Do they hunt the poor for sport?

Because they also sound like people who would do that.

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    They just sound like typically overbearing, always have to be right, Australians to me.

Ender @};-

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    harpua likes this.
  16. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    You know your kid, while your in-laws only know their own standards and norms, which have absolutely nothing to do with you or your child, and by all rights sound outdated and actively harmful. In this case, mom really does know best, and your in-laws can go get bent if they have a problem with it. Worst case scenario, the wildlife in Australia is large and scary, and always in search of older, slow-moving snacks.

You mustn't look at it as "hunting the poor for sport." They're giving the impoverished the opportunity to rise above their peers by not being hunted first. Would you deny the proletariat their upward mobility? Checkmate.

Juliet316 and harpua like this.
  17. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    I super appreciate the thoughts and support, guys. You are the best, my besties. [face_love]

Wish my luck with the awkward conversations!

18. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Best of luck, Yvette!

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  19. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Standing up for yourself is not mean. Take some of that niceness and direct it at yourself. You deserve to be treated with respect.

20. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    and parenting is a partnership, if they're only directing criticism at you, that's a problem; if mike doesn't see this happening himself or is somehow not wanting to get involved or stand up to his parents, that's also a problem. you should stand up for yourself definitely, but you shoudn't be having to deal with this, or them, yourself.

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm limited on this as not a parent and as a kid my development was all over the place.

In-laws are tricky relationships to manage.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  22. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    It's not as difficult as some think.

The next time they visit, open the door and sprinkle them with holy water while muttering some Latin. If they pass that test, invite them in and press a crucifix against their foreheads. Only before the third test do you blatantly tell them that, for the safety of your family, they have to pass several more tests proving they are not demons. Prior to the third test is also the appropriate time to take their coats and ask if they would like something to drink.

Inform them that you feel you have little choice but to do this every time they call and you will see them far less.

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Cross.posted from the mental health thread.

Big ****ing day... I submitted my applications for an apartment and two grants this morning. I could be housed as soon as the first, if all goes as planned. I need this to happen (and I think it will).

25. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Best of luck! =D=

Jedi Ben, harpua and Runjedirun like this.