main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Discussion Time: Let's Talk About Drafts - next draft?

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Sep 13, 2007.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Well, literally, the player database for OOTP is baseball-reference. So that's a good place to start.

2. Wang Chi

Wang Chi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I'd definitely be curious to see one more month, as long as it isn't very much trouble. Very interesting. And also potentially very depressing....

How did Russ Ford start 10 games just 29 games into the season?

3. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    Sure, but doesn't it translate those into ratings?

PS, the whatif season mode search engine that I mentioned very early in the last draft, which is the best search engine I've found, also uses baseball-reference. So you can probably still use that to great effect.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm planning on simming the entire season, just for posterity and getting you all info for keeper decisions.

And you can set your rotation at any number between 1-6, and can default to "always pitch x if he's rested enough" despite rotation size. So, lots of ways to get pitchers extra starts

5. Wang Chi

Wang Chi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Oh god. Old Hoss is going to start a hundred games next season.

Point Given and DarthIntegral like this.
  6. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Especially given that Pointy can access the 1884 version!

this is a really loaded question.

OOTP is looking at the trajectory and likelihood of a player building in performance and promise. Players have two ratings, one for current level and one for potential. WAR is a great guide to get started, but age, injury history, and random luck will all factor in, among other factors, to how players perform. One year wonders (or twenty game wonders) get punished, and players with demonstrated durability and consistency get rewarded, typically.

7. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Well I can already tell how things will go for me...

DarthIntegral likes this.
  8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yes, more or less this.

Harry Stovey 1886 is the fastest person in WIS, give or take, but there's nothing per se to indicate why he'd get a 100 Speed with 68 steals and 26 caught (B-R also doesn't track CS for early players). A 72% -- and why is this better than Rickey's 1983 year (108 steals / 19 caught -- 82%), or years like Max Carey's 51 in 53 year, etc. Things like that, as well as if anything is weighted by era (i.e. the # stats in WIS)...

9. a star war

May 4, 2016
    Maybe we could send in scouting packets on a certain number of individuals per round to query for ratings? I dunno.

10. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    If you need any help fine-tuning settings I can do that @DarthIntegral . I've been playing OOTP for a few years, though I'm sticking with the 20 version for the time being.

11. a star war

May 4, 2016
    Oh, you'd like that, wouldn't you, mr two time? Love to maintain your dynasty. Love to get in there and get the sliders going for your guys. First steroids, now paying off the refs. What's next? Garbage cans?

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    So, OOTP has a really robust online community and manual. This page in particular starts to detail the factors that go in to ratings. Plus, official OOTP forums and a subreddit.

I mean, outside of buying the game and looking at player ratings, I'm not sure I can get much more specific. I'm certainly not going to export ratings for hundreds of players.

I'm definitely willing to make this happen and give each team a "scouting budget"

13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    So, here are two examples of how ratings look. I picked Babe Ruth (OF) and Pedro Martinez because I figure there is a zero percent chance Wang/tom aren't using keeper slots on them.

For Ruth:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For Pedro:

[​IMG]

Is that helpful to see how this sim starts to look at it?

Also, here's an example of a clubhouse chemistry report:

[​IMG]

LloydChristmas, Wang Chi and tom like this.
  14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Can I narc on John J McGraw now?

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Basic reports at the team level:

Batting stats:

[​IMG]

Pitching Stats:

[​IMG]

Fielding stats:

[​IMG]

Team Batting Leaderboard:

[​IMG]

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Those stats are like the exact inverse of my WIS stats...

17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    maybe i should have hung on to mike trout.

Wang Chi and DarthIntegral like this.
  18. a star war

May 4, 2016
    Would you send us our roster ratings before we make decisions to keep? Like in private?

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    My experience tells me Mike Trout is probably the best player in the game.

20. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    "Here's Babe Ruth"

"Here's Pedro"

"Here's half of Lloyd's team absolutely hating Shaq cosplaying as his gf cosplaying as Jimmy Dugan for no reason"

Juliet316, Point Given , tom and 2 others like this.
  21. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Out of curiosity. Will there be expansion teams? Because I could see myself enjoying this.

22. a star war

May 4, 2016
    If there are more teams added there should be an expansion draft of like 3 rounds to simulate keepers.

tom likes this.
  23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    there is 100% an opportunity for new players to join, so please do!

One of the benefits of going to OOTP is we can have any number of teams and it doesn't add to the work for me. So we don't need to lose existing GMs to add new GMs (though, we certainly can if players don't want to play again)

mnjedi and tom like this.
  24. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Awesome

25. a star war

May 4, 2016
    nope wrong thread

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020