main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Warp Me!" - Star Trek: Lower Decks [Paramount+ Animated Series]

Discussion in 'Community' started by PymParticles , Jul 1, 2020.

1. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Started watching the show last night and just finished it this morning. I had low expectations, but thankfully the show exceeded them by a fair margin. I didn't like Mariner much at all throughout the season, but where it left off at the end I'm hoping she's toned down somewhat. I'm all for a character that bends the rules, but too often she went from maverick to just plain rude for absolutely no reason. Thankfully Boimler, Rutherford and Tendi were really great so it helped cover it up somewhat.

In regards to the finale...

Seeing the Titan (and looking the same as she has in the novels and STO) was great, especially when she flies in all guns blazing and the TNG theme blaring. Great stuff. Hopefully we'll see more of her in S2, but I have a feeling Boimler will find his way back to the Cerritos all too soon.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, too-much-Mariner was a problem in the first couple of episodes -- it's already starting to tone-down by Ep 2, and then Ep 3 I think is where the show starts firing on all cylinders.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    “Phasers locked onto their warp core! Please, PLEASE let me shoot their warp core! I’ve been VERY good this month!”

Reactivated my CBSAA in advance of DIS S3 and binged this season last night/today. Really fun series- some of the cuts are pretty deep and not just the obvious ones. There was more character development in a few episodes than I expected (the holodeck movie episode in particular) and the show kinda surprises you that Mariner is the real main character, despite seeming at first to just be Boimer's hyperactive friend.

The humor, for the most part, worked for me. It only breaks the line a few times, IMO (when Mariner acts super-rude in front of the other Captain, being above-normal insubordinate; a few references that seem like they would be less known in real life [like, I can buy that the missions and logs of the OG Enterprise and Enterprise-D would be read about more often than other things, but something like Crusher and the ghost is really not something that would be so commonly read as to be a widely recognized reference in-universe] and the TOS line just barely wobbles over the edge and back [about as much as the FC "Star Trek" line, so it's not without precedence]).

And, also, clearly, mocking the dry dock sequence is a bridge too far. :p

Small details also track nicely, like the TAS image being used much like the ST5 image was used in STB. All the vocal cameos were awesome too, with
    J.G. Hertzler and Kurtwood Smith
    being my favorites.

Obviously loved seeing the Titan. Also found it interesting that it is implied that some ships under heavy repair get aesthetic upgrades to look more "Sovereign like". Something that makes sense but we haven't really seen before, despite the implication that it occurred between TOS and TMP on several ships. That clamped warp jump was pretty nasty too. And I'm surprised the Cerritos is even salvageable given how much of the saucer superstructure must have been compromised by those cutting phasers.

Though I'm surprised they didn't use this situation in the finale to show off whatever the Cali-class's special gimmick is that they've been hinted at.

I take the presence of the FC uniforms to mean that we're in a transitory period for the new uniforms. Much like how the Enterprise-D had TNG uniforms as the DS9/VOY uniforms were being implemented, or how the TOS uniforms debuted on the Connies in DIS while DIS still had the blue ones.

So, in this case, the Cerritos has the newer uniforms while the Titan still has the FC duty uniforms. And the Cerritos uniforms end up being the stepping stone towards the PIC flashback uniforms.

As for the Pakleds, I like that they're both trying to make them more of a threat (using ship parts and weapons from Romulans, Klingons, Ferengi, Bajorans, "Unknown" and whatever the triangles logo in the lower middle are from), even though they still can't stand up to a frontline ship like the Titan, and to show that, on a "Lower Decks" level of threat, the Cerritos isn't outmatched by Borg or Klingons or even Ferengi. No, on that playing field level, their Ultimate Threat are the Pakleds [face_laugh].

EDIT- The weird triangles are apparently the Arkonians from a couple episodes of Enterprise:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

If anyone could finally get the warp core ejection system to function properly in an actual crisis, it's that man.

Since the ENT finale was clearly set during TNG, I love that this implies that Riker keeps going back to that program for years/

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It's possible that Bevery's sex candle ghost adventures were a part of official Starfleet record since it was an alien with malicious deadly intent, although the log might have redacted some of the more salacious sex candle ghost aspects.

One thing I noticed in a middle episode of Lower Decks is when the ship has the alien attracted to it and flew away inside the other California class ship, to me it looked like another life form like the Farpoint entity, and it grew again out of an energy source.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Even if it was part of the mission log records, it would still be very, very low on the list of "missions most people know & would get a reference to".

6. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    [​IMG]

They've been hinting at something?

I must have missed that. Honestly I though the Cali's special gimmick was that their old peices of junk.

That's pretty much my take as well.

And Riker keeps trying to get other peaple to care, but nobody does becuase they all think Archer was a boring dude (diplomacy is lame! Kirk beat up Gorn, saved Earth all the time and got all the babes!) who tried to make up wild stories about secret agents from the future and alien Nazis to make himself appear cooler:D.

I'm just going to assume that either Riker blabbed to Mariner while in the process of hooking her up with contraband and Mariner blabbed to everyone else or the lower decks crew of the Enterprise (ironicly is'nt the TNG episode Lower Decks the episode right after Sub Rosa?) spread gossip through the fleet.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it was;)

Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The showrunner hinted at something during one of his interviews on Trekyards, IIRC.

Juliet316 likes this.
  8. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    Well, I'm sure once the ship is added to STO we'll find out what it is:p

(given that the whole idea behind the Cali is that it differs slightly based on the three Starfleet specializations and Starfleet in STO - at least when I last played the game - had your character chose one of those specializations, it might make sense to have it be the new defualt starter ship for the Federation in place of the Miranda).

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    One extra benefit of bringing the Titan into full canon status through Lower Decks- more fan render videos!

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Juliet316 likes this.
  11. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    New Season in August!

"Freaks fight back! Freaks fight back!"
    "Is what they were all chanting. We were all doing it. In unison!"

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

I know I want to binge this season all at once again... but I don't want to wait that long...

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Video unavailable...

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Still works for me- must be a YouTube regional lock? maybe a twitter link will work for you?

Tagging to not spoil the gag from the trailer but, yes, it's real.

BigAl6ft6, Juliet316 and Mar17swgirl like this.
  16. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    The Twitter linked worked, thanks! :)

And that was an excellent trailer. :D

Shaxs' replacement is a Tamarian? [face_laugh] =D==D= Brilliant idea. Looking forward to how they're going to communicate. :p

17. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Sweet

I liked the first season.
    Weird how so many Trek purists give it hate, it's a comedy it's not meant to be proper Trek.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The purists actually seemed to come around to it, enjoying it for being more “proper Trek” than what they perceive DIS & PIC to be.

But, despite there being valid critiques of those shows, there tends to be an inordinate amount of hate directed towards the former for looking more advanced than, and not replicating with precision, a show made in the 60’s. So an animated comedy overcomes most of that at the outset just by matching TNG-era aesthetics ;).

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    Juliet316 likes this.
  19. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Discovery really should have been set away from the TOS era from the start, it works much better when it isn't tied to that stuff because it can't be accused of ruining any of it.
    Either that or set it in the JJ Trek timeline, then the show can do whatever it wants.

Lower Decks is a love letter to Trek, so many great references. These stupid arguments about how the characters would never have passed Starfleet Academy behaving as they do is just taking it way too seriously.

Sarge likes this.
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    DIS's initial setting makes sense when you take into account the original anthology intention behind the series that was abandoned after Fuller got booted. DIS being a 1 or 2 season series telling a pre-TOS story/a single war (and then changing to a new setting and crew, either under the same moniker or a different one) made more sense than an ongoing series as far as a from-the-outset approach goes.

More in the one trailer gag:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    Sarge, BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

"Oh, my sweet Shax!"

Mar17swgirl and Juliet316 like this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Season 2 premiere was super fun

Ransom goes Uber Gary Mitchell. "How did they stop Gary Mitchell?" "Kirk smushed him with a boulder!" (The doctor coming in with a boulder on a forklift was gold) Tendi gets really over protective and runs after Rutherford. Mariner has a Cardassian prison cardio workout program and holodeck Boimler cries that the Cardassians "Keep showing me lights!"

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  23. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, this was great.

At first I thought they were going to subvert the omnipotent super being trope by having Freeman give Ransom what he wants, which would have been creative, but Mariner kicking him in the crotch a bunch times was [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh].

Also, I love that Mariner’s workout program is a super intense Cardassian prison break program.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    Jedi Knight Fett and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Super fun solution in episode 2

Boimler got Thomas Riker style transporter cloned so Boimler goes back to the Cerritos and also stays on the Titan as well. I dug how Boimler summed up his experiences on the Titan as super intense serialized action adventure with mind blowing twists.

Anyway also The Collector returns ("They all tried to collect Data!") and the Pakleds are even dumber than usual that one of them can't figure out how to use a saw. Riker mentions that they seem to be supplied by an outside source for their tech upgrades so I would just guess Romulans but hopefully it's a more deep cut unexpected source.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The first episode is on youtube! They did this last season, IIRC, and it didn't last long.

But, it'll hold me over until I sign up for P+ later this month...

Juliet316 likes this.