main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.01 - Chapter 9 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Oct 29, 2020.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Nov 13, 2020.
  1. 10

21.5%
  2. 9

31.9%
  3. 8

32.6%
  4. 7

10.4%
  5. 6

1.5%
  6. 5

1.5%
  7. 4

0.7%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Everything dies eventually.

But yeah, I'm not expecting the kid to die in this show. If anything, the Child could be the next Yoda for Rey's Jedi Order. She could be the one who eventually trains him after the events of TROS. The kid would be around 80 or 90 at that time, so probably perfect age to start his training.

The point of my post was the fact that Boba knows so much, he could easily explain everything to Din Djarin and the whole premise of Season 2, searching for other Mandalorians so they could lead Djarin to "an enemy race of sorcerers", would be unnecessary. But that would make the story of the series pointless, so they'll come up with some plot reason why Fett never tells him all the info he has.

Boba will either not appear again or only appear as an antagonist, so no chance to talk, or maybe they'll say he has amnesia or something similar. Or he will intentionally lie to Din Djarin and won't tell him everything he knows.

2. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    9/10

Again, we have a killer beginning to a killer show. I loved the fight scene at the beginning and going to Tatooine again seeing Cobb Vanth? Too cool!! I've thought ever since he appeared in Aftermath he had to be used more. The fight w/the...I'm going blank on the animal's name....was awesome. And I also liked we saw Tusken raiders as more of an advanced society.

I just can't wait for next week.

Chancellor Yoda and beetzello like this.
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    In any event, why would anyone go by the actor’s age, vs the character’s age?

Not to mention that not everyone looks like they’ve lived a middle class life in suburbia. I’ve hung out with 30-year olds in the Mongolian Gobi desert who look just as old as Boba Fett does at the end of this episode. And that’s without factoring in an encounter with the digestive system of a sarlacc.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    This. I actually think Boba Fett will appear next episode, and will play the role of a sage in the desert (though there may be some tension at first due to the armor thing). Imparting Mando with wisdom and the information about the Jedi he needs to locate them and deliver Baby Yoda. That would fit perfectly with the current narrative thrust of the show: Finding the Jedi. This show’s not about Mandalorians fighting Mandalorians, or bounty hunters fighting bounty hunters. It’s about a guy protecting a force sensitive child and delivering him to safety. So this isn’t a setup for a Mando vs. Boba showdown, in my view (or at least, such a showdown will be brief). It’s a setup for Mando to be guided by Boba. And the latter looking like a monk is no accident. The guy is gonna be imparting some wisdom and info, not laying smackdowns for some ratty armor.

Not to mention that Gideon is this season’s antagonist, not Boba. Boba is, in this case, playing the role of Obi-Wan.

5. CrAsHcHaOs

CrAsHcHaOs Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 7, 1999
    Since Boba is a clone, don't he and the rest of the clonetroopers age a lot faster than a regular human?

6. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    But he may or may not want his armor in return for that wisdom. It's sort of anti-sage/monk behavior in my mind though, going all materialistic.

I'm actually more excited what they have planned for Boba's arc (lol) now that they placed him back into the fold. And yes, I'm certain it's him since they went to the trouble with adding in his trademark spurs and that tracker in chapter 5. Tricking us at this point will negatively impact the show for many people I think.

7. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    I don't know how I feel about Boba playing the wise old mentor role. He's kinda an unambiguously bad dude in the original trilogy who enjoys disintegrating his targets.

I kinda prefer the idea of him as a secondary antagonist, a false Mandalorian and dark mirror of Mando. His sadistic ways might lead to some character growth for Mando who dealt with that crime boss pretty brutally at the start of the episode.

And then Rex can be the real wise old man, an honourable version of Boba who is also a great warrior who Mando can respect.

8. DarthKegs

DarthKegs Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 21, 2019
    Boba was pure unaltered genetic replication, meaning he would age normally. This was pointed out in Attack of the Clones.

9. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    Here is a totally random and extremely unlikely thought but could that planet at the start have been Lothal? Yes I know there are not many similarities but could it connect to Sabine?

10. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    I thought about that too, the skyline in the distance and the graffiti-covered urban environment reminded me a lot of Lothal. I think it probably isn't though or they would've had a more significant scene there.

11. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    I wonder if they will return there though. Maybe Mando goes back for more info? That cyclops maybe knew more than he let on?

12. Gallandro007

Gallandro007 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 7, 2014
    7 out of 10.

I had missgivings about Fav directing and this episode missed the charm of last season. He managed to make the universe seem even smaller if that's possible.

The Gamorean fight was weird and felt they played it very safe. Some hacked off limbs would have helped.

The whole of the action on that planet lacked any tension at all.

Also baby yoda seemed very inconsequential in this episode.

Luckily going back to Tattoine saved the day....

But hey are there now only 3 settlements on Tattoine? What happened to Anchorhead??.

Seeing Cobb Vanth was cool but he was wasted. Him and Mando should have had a lot more of an antagonistic relationship, trying to outdo each or something. Their buddies almost from the get go and it was kinda boring.

Thankfully the Tusken Raiders arrived
    and from the moment Din and Cobb head out together the episode is saved. It's almost like a different director took over.

The Krayt Dragon was the monster I never knew I needed. Imaginatively
    realised and portrayed with an epic sense of scale by the photography. ( I think some of this was shot on IMAX cameras) it was easily the best monster fight ever in Star Wars (sorry Zillo beast).

The end reveal I was kinda expecting as soon as we saw Fetts armour but it was cool to see Temura back.

So to sum up.

Please no more Favreau directing.
    Please start showing more scale to cities and urban locations along with more inhabitants.
    Please give baby yoda more to do.

Thank you

Shamear likes this.
  13. CrAsHcHaOs

CrAsHcHaOs Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 7, 1999
    Ah OK, I forgot about that part. Please don't shoot me. :D

Bor Mullet and DarthKegs like this.
  14. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Boba was an unaltered clone so would grow to be an exact replica of Jango (environmental factors aside) with a normal lifespan.

Indeed, but he won't. Boba has to be very careful what he imparts to Din, especially face to face. Din's parents were killed by the Droid Army, led by Count Dooku who directly employed Boba's father in various roles.

15. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    Jango died before the war began. During the war, Death Watch, on the other hand did work for Count Dooku directly, before they switched sides. Also, the Empire purged the Mandalorians, and carried out the Night of Thousand Tears which Din personally witnessed. Din took a contract from the Empire at the beginning of the series anyway. It would be very inconsistent for him to condemn Jango, let alone Boba for actions that aligned them with Dooku before Dooku had done anything yet, but revere the Mandalorians who didn't care when Dooku was in the active process of attacking worlds no different then his own. Din hates droids, not people and he is working on that too.

16. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Din never took History or Politics at Death Watch School. All of that would go right over his head.

17. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    What makes you think that there are only three settlements?
    Just because they only mention those three while looking at a map doesn't somehow mean that they are the only ones that exist. I mean, if you are planning to go somewhere and look at a map, and you see your town, a neighbouring town and your destination, you aren't going to assume that there are no further settlements on earth, now do you?

I really don't see where Cobb Vanth and Din are almost buddies from the get go. There was some clear tention early on, then they agreed to work together to solve a problem, but they weren't exactly on one page, as evidenced by how the meeting with the Sand People went. They only got to an understanding later on. I thought it might have been cool if by the end of the episode Din had left the armor with Cobb, in a "you have earned this" sort of way, but I guess the story requires something different.

The child had little to do this episode, but that's something that happened before. I don't really have a problem with it. You don't want to run into a situation where the child saves the day every time. There will be plenty of times where it takes center stage, just like last season.

The town did feel a bit small. Could have used a few more buildings. The amount one could see didn't really fit to the amount of people around, much less there being a school. But I don't think that this somehow made the universe seen small.

What does the content of the story have to do with directing?
    I see absolutely nothing that differentiates the directing in the early part of the episode from the latter stages. Nor do I see any issues with Favreau's directing in general.

Beyond that, there are some great references, especially to KOTOR. Timothy Olyphant did a great job with his role, I wouldn't mind seeing him again later on.

18. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    I’m so happy that this show is back! Good episode, and I don’t want to be too negative but I want to point out a few things that I didn’t like:

I feel that Tatooine and the stuff it has like the Sandpeople, Womp Rat one-liners, etc are starting to become way overused. But hey, I guess fan service is pretty good and there were a TON of great references here based on the original Star Wars.

I thought the physics of the Krayt Dragon was pretty silly and a little hard to wrap my head around. I mean how would it plow through that sand and then have the sand remain flat on the surface once it disappeared. It was behaving like it was in water, but the people could easily walk on the FLAT surface after it disappeared. I was a little bit lost on that logic. But hey, Star Wars always defies physics so it’s not a big issue!

19. JediMasterMark15

JediMasterMark15 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2020
    According to Temuera Morrison‘s IMDB, that was his only appearance for the series. That sucks Boba was only teased at the end. It would have been cool in a future episode seeing him and Mando interact together.

20. yodasoda2187

yodasoda2187 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 2, 2002
    8/10. It was good entertainment, though I found it a bit too fan servicey again. I wish they would take a few more risks and show us something we haven't seen already in countless books, movies, or video games (this plot was largely already done in Kotor...which I love, but do something original).

Baby Yoda was surprisingly left unused. I think that's fine because I thought they overrelied on him in season 1.

I think the show is great at realizing Star Wars adventures but I'm still waiting for something deeper.

dinnertime likes this.
  21. DarthKegs

DarthKegs Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 21, 2019
    Maybe IMBD are in the dark as much as the rest of us with regards to how many episodes he'll be in. If Lucasfilm & Disney want to keep his role a secret then they're unlikely to put his appearance info on a public website ahead of each episode airing.

22. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    There are two subspecies of Krayt Dragons in Canon... The larger Greater Krayt (Seen in The Mandalorian and the skeleton in ANH) and the smaller (but not much) Canyon Krayt (as seen in KOTOR, but still Canon). This is the first time they've used the greater Krayt in any major story as far as I know.

The Canyon Krayt is more common and is the one we are more familiar with.

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I enjoyed it. I had forgotten about Cobb Vanth from Aftermath so I need to revisit those books.

My reaction is that the armor was Boba Fett’s ejected from the sarlacc and that Boba himself is dead? Am I wrong there?

First time I’ve seen a Krayt Dragon but I haven’t played KOTOR, so the larger than life appearance and terrorizing entire settlements was new to me. And it was good to see the Tuskens as an advanced society. The closest we’ve gotten so far AFAIK is the Kenobi novel.

I did expect The Child to do more but it’s fine. His “Nope” reaction to the Gamorrean fight was hilarious.

9/10

RetropME and Chancellor Yoda like this.
  24. King_Kenobi62

King_Kenobi62 Jedi Master

May 7, 2014
    Just having this show back is great. The Easter eggs and references were so abundant that I’m sure I missed a few on the first viewing.

As soon as I seen Boba’s armor I knew we were getting Cobb Vanth and his character didn’t disappoint but I was surprised Din didn’t just give him the armor at the end since he obviously used it well. I guess the line in the beginning about beskar going up in value and the religious aspect played a part in that decision. I’m also personally hoping that story wise he kept it so he has a run-in with Boba down the line.

At first the Kraft dragon threw me off, it looks different from what I’ve seen before. I think someone said earlier that there’s two kinds. Since I’ve been delving into the Dune series I assumed they made it like that as a homage to the worms as another call back to that series.

As a fan of westerns I enjoyed the theme and similarities. Some of my favorite moments in Star Wars is when it goes into that space western territory. All in all, I thought this was a nice fun start to the second season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018