main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate No Donuts For You: The U.S. Police Brutality Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Outsourced, Sep 5, 2020.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54290575

The FBI will be investigating the shooting death of a 17 year old in the KC area in 2018. The local prosecutor declined to press charges back then, but the family won a wrongful death suit against the county since then.

Basically the kid posted things on social media that made his friends worried about his mental health. So the cops were called, went to his house, and he happened to be backing out of the garage in a car at the time. So of course, logically, the cops shot him multiple times. It's debatable whether he even knew the cop was there.

He was white, btw, for all those who think white people in mental health crisis are somehow safe from police brutality.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    White people are also in danger of being killed by a cop for no reason. Mental health withstanding. Just as black people are. Police brutality is an issue that effects all Americans. White, black, Native American, Latino, Asian. Does not matter. The current system is bad for all

Lowbacca_1977 and Emperor Ferus like this.
  3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yes it is, although POC are disproportionately affected.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Correct, but white racists don’t want to hear that part of the argument.

5. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    It's directly to the benefit of the police to create the illusion that most people in the United States are immune from police abuse. It protects the status quo by downplaying the scale of the problem.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I am sure there are worse PD than New York City

8. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    https://www.npr.org/sections/live-u...rm=nprnews&utm_campaign=npr&utm_medium=social

The Portland sheriff refutes Trump's claim that he approved of what Trump has done.

Anyhow, I agree. Some police are worse than NYC's. Take Fort Worth or Dallas's, for example. Dallas can't protect anyone, and Fort Worth is all up in the business of the harmless people who shouldn't be arrested. Incompetence mixed with racism and other social ills. Police need to be trained to understand all humans are equal, not items or products. Texas is one of the worst states to reside in...period. Any person who suffers crimes like theft or DV has less than 5% of getting any substantive justice in DFW.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    Emperor Ferus likes this.
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    My police department is pretty okay. They haven’t killed anyone anyway, which is a pretty damn low bar. But they do arm themselves like they work in Afghanistan or something. Even though we haven’t had a murder since the 1980s they just like playing soldier. They like wasting our tax dollars as well. No way in hell any police department needs humvees. It’s stupid.

10. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Right off the bat, Phoenix has a fifth the population of NYC, and killed 35 more people from 2013 to 2019 (111 to 75). It's not free of problems, but it's not nearly as bad as I think people think it is.

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    NYC is just highlighted due to how big the city is. Same with LA. Your not going to hear about many police misconduct from small cities unless you look for it or it blows up.

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  12. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Aurora PD has been on a roll recently. Certainly some of the most public misconduct.

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    That Aurora Colorado? Same city with the movie theater shooting all those years ago?

14. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    The very same.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    They murdered a sweet autistic young adult whose “crime” was walking home wearing a ski mask while listening to headphones. And mocked him at a rally.

**** them.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Well **** the Aurora PD as well as all the PD’s in the country. I would be amazed if you could find any completely clean one in the country. As I said we should fire all the police in the country and train from the ground up. Only way to fix this mess

17. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I understand. Eugene has a defunded police department, but Oregonians have manners and they aren't up in each otter's business. They have social services to help people. So, there's less drama for this mama here, and things are okay. I believe Anakinfan has a point. Some cops rush in and hurt people and slay them without any thought as to whose families they will wreck. It's sad, but people ought to be raised with better courtesy. I don't mean to make it about identity politics as some would allege, but basic courtesy would dictate that some cops ought to be careful and analyze a situation cautiously and carefully. Some cops do that...and sadly, many do not.

18. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Yeah, the effect of population size really skews how people think about stuff since it skews coverage. I've been having this issue with people convinced California's having the worst time with COVID of any state, missing that California's 40 million people, so any other state having anywhere close to the same number of cases/deaths is them doing a whole lot worse.

Even then, sometimes the smaller departments manage to make it more than once and beat the odds (like Kenosha)

19. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    The cops are cowards that’s nothing new

Princess_Tina and Juliet316 like this.
  21. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I’m at the dentist and my chair is literally 10 feet away from a massive tv screen tuned into what is apparently The Bootlicking Channel. Now it’s some documentary about people’s lives in jail. This one is less bootlicky than some others—it’s semi-sympathetic to the prisoners, but the tone is all, “gosh, what intractable social problems!”

Even though they legit have prisoners looking into the camera saying, “This helps nothing. Put drug addicts in treatment instead of jail. Quit taking caregivers and breadwinners away from families for stupid, petty reasons and then bitching and moaning about ‘the breakdown of the family.’ Just quit using prisons as the answer to every ****ing problem you see.”

Then some jail psychologist comes on and says, “Isn’t this all terrible? But what else could we do? I guess we’ll never know the answer.”

I think I liked it better when the dentist was sticking needles in my gums.

22. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    OAN or NRA TV or something probably.

23. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  24. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Jesus ****ing christ, bunch of ****ing scumbags.