main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Ships and Vehicles of The Mandalorian

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Django Fett, May 1, 2019.

1. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Which is what the designers wanted you to think. That was stated at the time.

Blobofat likes this.
  2. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    So what's in store for Din's ship this season? We know it entails a lot of damage and uses escape pods. More carbonite for its guest? Like what was stated above with a duel v. Slave I would be awesome! So who's flying Slave I?..wink wink. Or what about IG-88 ship. Bring in some oldies but goodies.

Blobofat likes this.
  3. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    I didn't know that but it makes sense. They do look pretty awesome.

I'd quite like to get a lego Lucrehulk but they don't appear to have them in their catalogue. Might have to get creative!

4. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    I really love the designs in the first episode of Season 2. Especially Cobb Vanth's speeder.

5. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Dig Noa's scout ship from the 2nd Ewok movie out of the warehouse and give use some really good multi-angle views on it.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    TCF-1138 and whostheBossk like this.
  6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm 90% certain it's legit the exact engine from Anakin's podracer.

7. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Absolutely terrible design IMHO and makes Anakin's abilities as the only human capable of Pod Racing look foolish. Although the engines obviously have some sort of repulsors built in to make them float the directional aspect came from throttling one engine over the other allied with the air brakes at the front of each engine. Then there were the various other bits of connecting hardware and energy beams to keep everything relatively stable.

Vanth's speeder would have made a lot more sense with some ancillary equipment (fuel tank, etc) on the port side of his seat and some directional vanes like a speeder bike.

8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Well, this is many decades later. And outside any possible rules for pod-racing. There may simply be a new tech Vanth is using to power the thing, while keeping it stable sans the other four engines.

9. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    The GFFA is not comparable to our steep curve advancements of the last century or so, they are several thousands of years ahead of us so simple stuff like repulsors to levitate objects have been around for years. There's no in-universe explanation to make it acceptable so can only be down to 'Mr Originality' and his crayons again. One of these days he'll find the balance between ergonomics and style, something that has evaded him so far.

EDIT: And Anakin's Pod Racer had two engines, not five ;)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Ha! I meant to say “the other three engines,” thinking there were four for some reason. But yeah...two. :)

In any event, if normal speeder bikes function with one engine on a chassis, I don’t see why it would be so difficult to fashion a speeder bike out of a podracer engine.

Here’s a theory that requires no leap in technological development: in order to keep the bike stable, he operates the podracer engine at less than half its power...

Anakin had to go as fast as humanly possible in a podrace. Perhaps that’s the reason behind the instability of the podracer without a second engine.

See, this isn’t hard. There are myriad ways to justify.

All that said, it’s not exactly my favorite design. But then again, I think it’s meant to look a little silly, as the Marshal is kind of a silly dude.

Buona notte.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  11. Jabberwock2137

Jabberwock2137 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 16, 2013
    Probably reaching a little but.....
    Take off the winglets and engine pods and increase the radius of the flaired landing gear bay on the Razor and you've got .........
    Slave 1!!!!

12. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    I see your point Stretch Armstrong.

13. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    Loved the Gozanti-class in the new episode. The view from behind when it ascends was impressive and really gave you the sense of scale.

The Razorcrest is now officially a hunk of junk. Missing parts, badly soldered/welded, ropes within the cockpit (!). I dig that things look worn down, BUT

I'm at a point where I hope Din can find a safe port with a proficient mechanic that actually fixes up the Crest. And I mean a complete overhaul. Having it in a constant disrepair is too akin to the Millennium Falcon. Also, doesn't the Razorcrest have shields?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    Snafu55, MrDarth0 and Bor Mullet like this.
  14. Alien Vanguard

Jan 1, 2015
    A quick google search answered my question:
    https://www.behance.net/gallery/94933395/The-Mandalorians-Razor-Crest-cross-section
    "Military-grade deflector shields"

I didn't know it had an R2-droid socket on top.

15. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Looks like Mando has a spare suit of armor.

16. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Looks totally rubbish. None of the 'repairs' make any sense, pieces of string will not hold a ship together either on the exterior or interior. IMHO they seriously dropped the ball on this one.

For sure, weld plates over the holes in the hull but if you want a look of a bodged (but still functional) job then trail the cockpit with cables and pipes (to reroute power and fluids) rather than pieces of string.

The worst part of this show is the vehicle design.

Alien Vanguard likes this.
  17. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    You talking about the actual design of the Razor Crest in pristine condition or the beat to heck RC we had at the end of this episode. I actually like the design when it is in top form.

18. Alien Vanguard

Jan 1, 2015
    I get where you're coming from but I'm not really that bothered by it provided he gets it fixed up. The last thing I want is to have fishing nets becoming a permanent part of the cockpit interior.

I'm wondering what happened to all his stuff on the cargo deck. The ride up from the ice planet, limping through space and going down in a fireball on the ocean planet (+ falling in the ocean itself) surely would have cast out anything he had there. Weapons, clothing, Boba's armor, etc.

19. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    It has been quite some times since I built a model, but man, I really wish that someone would release a model kit of the Razor Crest. I love this hunk of junk so much.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I didn’t get the impression that the ropes and stuff are actually holding things together in a meaningful way. Probably just bits of temporary scaffolding-type stuff that they didn’t bother getting rid of. If you look closely, you’ll see there lots of additional metal etc slapped onto the ship as well. So it’s not just ropes, etc.

21. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Yep, as I mentioned I don't have a problem with the plates welded onto the hull as that is what I would expect from a second rate job. It's just the bits of string in the cockpit and the fishing nets. They don't even look as though that are doing anything useful either, just draped over seats, etc.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  22. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Air fresheners, "Dac Kelp" scent

Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.
  23. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    I'm a fan of the Razor Crest being a beat-up hunk of junk, much like how the Falcon is in ESB. It builds character. Given how much rhyming the story group likes to do, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a running gag in season 2.

24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Me too. But there’s a way to do it that doesn’t veer into cartoonish territory. They’re skating a little too close to that line, IMO.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  25. Alien Vanguard

Jan 1, 2015
    As I see it, there are two choices for the next step (as if I have a say in the matter). Either repair it significantly and let it stay as such for good while or destroy it altogether. Can't see any other options tbh as degrading the ship further would remove its ability to function.

Bor Mullet and whostheBossk like this.