main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The UK Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 6, 2015.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    My cousin planned to ring me here in the States when the press conference started. She has dialed me 6 times.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    BBC News was speculating 6PM now.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    And now they are speculating it will be held around 630 PM. I've put the England/Italy rugby match back on.

4. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    The farce continues

5. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yeah. At least England is currently winning in the rugby though.

darthhelinith likes this.
  6. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    6:30 been and gone, still no sign of a briefing....

7. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - news people are just time-filling at this point. I think Strictly might be delayed on BBC 1 - it's supposed to start at 7:10 PM. They can't shift it to BBC 2 since that will be showing France vs Ireland in the rugby starting at 730 PM.

8. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    He's going to start at 7. Speak for 10 mins then go so as not to disrupt Strictly or the rugby.

Anything to avoid hard questions

He's a disgrace

Jedi Ben and darthhelinith like this.
  9. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    They are starting now.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  10. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Being late is a Boris trademark

11. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    So it looks like it's back to square one then...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - BBC One has cut from the news conference - it continues on the news channel.

13. darthhelinith

Feb 10, 2009
    ...for me, as a teacher, it changes literally nothing, apart from that train will hopefully be a bit emptier.
    Even they're fed up of the government not keeping to time.

Blobofat likes this.
  14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I think they were thinking of the Strictly fans and the number of complaints they'd get.

15. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I think the last time I felt this low and demoralised was after the Brexit referendum and even then I had a small glimmer of hope. That reason would prevail and things would work itself out in the end. Now? I just feel a hollow despair.

Tens of thousands dead, the country in lockdown (again), a government run by chancers and incompetents, Brexit right round the corner and the ever looming threat of global warming. What the **** is there to look forward to? Please, somebody give me something. Anything. The smallest glimmer of hope to latch on to.

I'm lucky. I'm a straight white man in his early thirties with no dependants and a decent job. If I'm feeling this way with that level of privilege then my heart goes out to those with less.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

16. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I'm hoping for a meteor strike, personally.

CairnsTony and Juliet316 like this.
  17. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I don't disagree @Mustafar_66 . Brexit was a kick repeatedly to the knackers for me as I saw rights systematically stripped from my children making pan European options harder and more expensive to even consider. The anger I have over Brexit has not abated and the recent "trade deals" announced and pending "Australia" (no deal) deal is slowly sending me over the edge.

I'm sure my current not too happy emails to my MP have me on some sort of watch list. I hope I never meet him :mad:

Covid though has me apoplectic with rage. I'm not an epidemiologist but I did I biology degree and have a reasonable understanding on whats going on and the actions of this government are nothing short of criminal IMO. This coupled with the likes of Delingpole, Evans and Young spouting their anti science right wing crap just enrages me further.

The dither and delay of this government is another edge I keep getting thrown at. How they haven't learned from their mistakes is beyond me and I'm getting close to losing my collective cool with it all.
    As it stands I work in a business where this and Brexit is going to create growth for us (debt). I've been told I'll be recruiting for my team next year so I should be secure (subject to me messing up). I live in the land of I'm alright Jack and lockdown just saves me more money with no commute but I seethe for those who are less fortunate and I'm astounded by the right of this country who just don't seem to care.

I'm just glad I live in a nation with sensible gun laws. I own an air rifle but know that whilst beyond angry, I won't go off the deep end (not that an air rifle would do much compared to an AR-XX) but I do dread to think on how those less controlled would manage if we had gun laws akin to the US.

This is beyond a shambles and Boris is going to be the fall guy for both this and Brexit and I suspect he'll be out by Easter (not that that helps us now)

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Meteor strike? That's due on Monday.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  19. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003

anything I can do to speed it up?

20. darthhelinith

Feb 10, 2009
    'Dedicated teachers'

Boris, I've been gambling on my health, possibly my life, 5 days a week since September. Calling me dedicated doesn't quite cut it any more.

...And Ofsted are STILL visiting schools- a school in North London was shut a couple of weeks ago after their Ofsted inspector tested positive. I wish I was making that up.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Don't get too hopeful, it's only a small, fridge-sized one - with no effect if it hits.

CairnsTony and darthhelinith like this.
  22. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003

You raise my hopes only to cruelly dash them against the wall.

Jedi Ben and darthhelinith like this.
  23. darthhelinith

Feb 10, 2009
    Should we start running a deadpool on high street shops?

Debenhams and House of Fraser are on my list.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I thought HoF was already dead? Oh wait, it had a fate worse than death - bought by Mike Ashley.

25. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    HoF is dead to all intents a purpose

in all honesty, all this pandemic is doing is accelerating the move from the high street to the web.

I've not bought clothes or footwear from a physical shop in years for myself and the kids get stuff from Clarks only because they're of an age where having someone measure feet size is of benefit. In all honestyu their feet have been the same size for the last 2 years so their last shoes have been direct from Vans

With lockdown, I've been in tracksuits and t-shirts for the last 8 months. it's great and I've just ordered more as it allows me to work and then actually do some form of exercise after work because I don't get any anymore.

This pandemic has made me better off by about £2k per year and we've managed to do the house up in the last year and subject to the missus getting a new job in the new year will be moving OR extending the house. I am 200% one of the lucky ones.

And even as one of the lucky ones in a time of MASSIVE turmoil, I still don't understand why they haven't increase my tax burden a little bit. I'm on £44.5k per year if they want to take more from what I earn over 2k or similar is fine as I'm currently saving loads with no commute.
    I know this isn't a clear calculation but my god we earn over 100% more that those on minimum wage, we can afford a little stretch.

CairnsTony and Jedi Ben like this.