main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.01 - Chapter 9 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Oct 29, 2020.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Nov 13, 2020.
  1. 10

21.5%
  2. 9

31.9%
  3. 8

32.6%
  4. 7

10.4%
  5. 6

1.5%
  6. 5

1.5%
  7. 4

0.7%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    My sister texted me and she loved the episode. In particular she really liked the Tusken Raiders and of course Baby Yoda. She's more of a casual fan then me so she didn't realize that was Boba Fett at the end, so you can imagine her surprise when I told her. One of our favorite aspects of the episode is the fact they showed the Tusken Raiders in a more sympathetic light, something not even Legends did often.

2. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    It will make Anakin’s Reckoning on the Tuskans look worse than it was.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    TadoFett likes this.
  3. Boba Fett.

Boba Fett. Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 14, 2020
    Yeah, I wouldn't look AOTC the same way again.

TadoFett likes this.
  4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Think of it this way the Tuskens took a hostage against their invaders and when they planned to attack rather then talk they set a trap for the invaders and as punishment they tortured a women who was married to the leader of the invaders. Could they have known an evil space wizard would come and not only kill their men, but women and children. After Anakin did that he would forever be damaged goods. The Tuskens has been seen as villains but they came from this planet. It's like cowboys and indians.

TadoFett likes this.
  5. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    So that justifies the Tuskans murdering farmers and kidnapping a defenseless woman and torturing her?
    [​IMG]

6. BOBA-FETT-82

BOBA-FETT-82 Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 19, 2002
    Can anyone tell me what the ball the Tusken took out of the Krayt was and why they wanted it (was mentioned earlier in the episode).

7. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Krayt Dragon Pearl.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Krayt_dragon_pearl/Legends

TadoFett, afrojedi and BOBA-FETT-82 like this.
  8. BOBA-FETT-82

BOBA-FETT-82 Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 19, 2002
    Thanks Kato, been bugging me since yesterday.

TadoFett and Kato Sai like this.
  9. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    I disagree. Shmi's death became an avenue just so they could insert Anakin doing evil stuff. The problem in doing so is it cheapened Anakin's actions in that it gave an added level of sympathy to Anakin and his slaughter of the sand people became reactionary. The slaughter, to some degree, became justifiable since Anakin was ravaged over his mother's death. Now showing the sand people in a somewhat sympathetic light cheapens Anakin's reaction to the death of his mother because, within the context being mentioned, seems as if it's forced to make Anakin appear even more evil than he was.

I think Shmi's death would have been better being off screen. Having her staying alive long enough for Anakin to find her and hold her in his arms just so she can die is very contrived, and generally lazy writing. Had Shmi already died by the time Anakin gets to Tatooine, his slaughter of the sand people becomes premeditated, instead of reactionary. This would have added a whole new level of depth to the struggle within. Anakin's line, "I'm a Jedi. I know I'm better than this." now carries a ton more weight and carries a more lasting effect even though that part of the story was dropped so he could chase Padme with a force boner. Again, within the context being mentioned, showing the sand people in a sympathetic light now further adds to the evil tendencies that Anakin would have displayed in a premeditated attack on the sand people. It further emphasizes and adds so much gravity to the struggle brewing within Anakin, instead of being treated as a passing or fleeting moment.

Vader Bob likes this.
  10. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Actually Shimi’s death in Anakin’s arms sets a precedent. Anakin tries to possess, hold on to people, and him losing Shimi in his arms is a major arch that leads to his fears of losing Padme in ROTS.

RetropME and TadoFett like this.
  11. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    Actually Anakin's dreams are the precedent. Without the dreams of his mother's death, he's not compelled to go to Tatooine and save her. Her dying in his arms is contrived and played solely for effect. And as I said, it leads to sympathy in Anakin slaughtering the sand people. Anakin already had issue with letting go, and it had been touched upon concerning his attachments prior to Shmi's death.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    There’s like a 50 page thread in the PT section about the Tuscan Raiders. Were the same people justified in their killing of innocents? No

what the settlers justified in their killing of sand people no. Two wrongs do not make a right and we have no clue who threw the first blow

13. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

14. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Your welcome. I know baout it because in Knights of the Old Republic (Mobile, PC, Xbox) you get to kill a Krayt Dragon and get its pearl which if you give to the Tuskan Chieftan, it ends the Tuskan attacks on settlers.

BOBA-FETT-82 and TadoFett like this.
  15. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    This was actually my favorite episode of the whole show so far!

RetropME and TadoFett like this.
  16. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    Wow I'm just so thankful for the love and kindness you show me with your comment here. Such a great perspective! Thank you so very much for this Chorus it means so much more than I can possibly express. Beyond thankful for this community, it's one of the brightest spots on the inter-web ❤️ Appreciate you Chorus!!!!!

17. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    There was absolutely nothing wrong with the direction. The direction was fantastic. Excited for Deborah Chow's episodes.

EDIT: I apologize for double posting I didn't mean to.

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  18. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Maybe she should have accepted the melon drank.

19. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Consistency with Legends lore is always appreciated. [​IMG]

smudger9 and TadoFett like this.
  20. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    Yea, Olyphant was great, very reminiscent of him in Deadwood.

I have a feeling Fenec will show up again. The character is too cool, MNW is too good an actress to have once, and the end of the end of that episode was too ambiguous to leave open.

TadoFett likes this.
  21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Shmi was the enemy, the mistress of their crime lord who had taken over their lands and kill their people for no other reason because they didn't like them. Also she may have insulted them and their ways. Shmi the mother might not have been Shmi the character.

22. KamNale

KamNale Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2012
    Well, I was thinking the season premier would be a bit bigger, but I really appreciated this episode.
    -Loved that there was a Krayt Pearl
    -The aliens all looked really good
    -The Krayt Dragon looked really really good
    -Nice seeing some world building with the Raiders
    -Loved having Cobb and Mos Pelgo in the series. Ties the universe together. Although I think they changed how Vanth go the armor.
    -Interesting to see the Mining Collective is the Red Key Raiders. Also, Got mentions the Gotra, nice to see them get some love.
    -I think Sam Witwer was one of the townspeople eyeing Mando as he rode into town.
    -Cool to see Vanth's speeder is Anakin's pod engine.
    -Boba Fett is back. Never cared much for him, but I'm curious to see how they use him.

Overall, I give it an 8/10. Was hoping something that relates to the main story a bit more, but nice to see an episode that reminds me of a session of Star Wars RPG.

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  23. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Plus, I can see her playing Qui-Gon and appealing to his sympathetic nature. She sees her chance to free her son and position herself towards her own freedom. Watto always came across kind-of smarmy but likeable. He was happy to see Anakin when he returned like an old pal. And he was jolly about telling Anakin that Shmi was free and got married. Feels more like slavery under Watto was part of another past grift, perhaps also as part of the Lars Crime syndicate...possibly a land grab sort of situation there.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  24. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I don't think it really changes anything in AOTC. anakin didn't go there to kill anyone. not like he killed his way into their village. but the sand people clearly hurt his mother. so they were not exactly compassionate. and if she had lived anakin probably would have tried to get out of there with no one getting hurt. but since she dies... yeah.

I mean you also have to remember the one that attacked Luke for no reason in episode 4. them shooting at the pod racer in episode 1.

25. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    This episode marked some introductions for me: Mos Pelgo, Cobb Vanth, and the Krayt dragon (though I'd seen mentions of the latter two before). I like that the line identifying the dragon was a functional one, instead of having a "What was that?" moment.

I think the coolest thing about the episode, in a nutshell, is the expansion of Tatooine. It hasn't been very often that different areas of an established planet are explored, at least in the visual medium. I think specifically incorporating a Krayt dragon goes well with that, in literally going big. Along the same lines, I like Cobb's interaction with the Jawas, and seeing more about how the Tuskens live.

I also like what I think are two new pieces of music. All in all, a really solid opener for the season!

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.