main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Airwaves, Streams, Fibers & Cords: General TV Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 10, 2012.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The justification despite a very profitable year is still “slowing growth and lower-than-expected profits.” Looking forward to their CEO getting an eleven gabillion zillion dollar per quarter raise.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  2. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Everybody is stuck in their houses with little to do but watch streaming TV - of course they're going to raise prices. We're a captive ******* audience.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    So glad I canceled Netflix a few years ago and now use my parents' account.

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  5. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    That's definitely going to be the make or break on whether it's any good (as the CEO notes, the material for a perfectly good show is already there), although I'm not sure who they could potentially sell it to.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Paramount+ will be absorbing smaller streamers.

Paramount and its owners ViacomCBS... strategy to date has been about spread – offering its own multiple streaming service apps including CBS All Access, Showtime, the ad supported Pluto TV and numerous others to cater to different needs, whilst also licensing out content which they’ve been doing to Netflix with quite a few of their films.

The result has been successful but soft, the company not pulling in the big subscriber numbers an ‘all in one’ service could, but also not taking much financial risk there either. That may change a bit as during a quarter earnings call this week they announced plans to close up some of their smaller streaming services and absorb them into the rebranded CBS All Access which becomes Paramount+ next year.

Which ones isn’t clear though absorptions will likely include MTV Hits, NickHits, Comedy Central Now and Noggin – the latter is the largest with at least 2.5 million subscribers to its name. CBS All Access and Showtime have seen huge boosts in recent months and now boast a total of 17.9 million combined subscribers, though that number doesn’t include Pluto TV which boasts 28.4 million monthly active users.

7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm still so pissed off about Ink Master getting canceled.

8. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  9. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Peacock TV is offering 12-Month Peacock Premium TV Subscription for $49.99 - 50% Off w/ promo code TODAY50 = $24.99.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Thanks for letting me know! Signed up for that. For 25 bucks it's worth it to figure out if I like any of their shows.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I'm sure you'll share with the family and they'll appreciate it so you'll definitely be getting your money's worth. ;)

12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yes we definitely share our logins.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    The Halo series has been in some stage of development for ten years.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    This is going to seem like a joke but I’m totally serious: really, only ten? It feels like the full 19 or whatever years since the first one came out there’s just been chatter about doing it.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    darthcaedus1138 and Juliet316 like this.
  16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    darthcaedus1138, Ramza and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I liked Peacock's Brave New World (which just finished airing on Showcase in Canada), the ending may be cliffhanger-ish by some but felt more of an ending to me than anything. Since Corus bought all of the Peacock originals in Canada I just saw that Saved by the Bell is going to be airing on W network, of all things. HBO Max's Looney Tunes is on Teletoon ondemand so I will hopefully check that out.

Still no Canadian network has picked up Stargirl yet, the DC universe content was all over the map different channels.

18. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I'm personally relieved we got the one good Neil Blommkamp movie out of the arrangement rather than whatever mess a Halo movie inevitably would have been.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Venture Bros hope from the head of HBO Max:

tom and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  21. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    i realize how sad this sounds

but this is probably the best news i've gotten in months. found out just in time to watch at lunch on my work-from-home day today. thx questy

Juliet316 and The2ndQuest like this.
  22. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    conan's run with tbs is ending, after ten years. he's headed to hbo max for a weekly variety series.

his statement, lol: "in 1993, johnny carson gave me the best advice of my career: 'get to a streaming platform.' i'm thrilled that i get to continue doing whatever the hell it is i do on hbo max, and i look forward to a free subscription."

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Wow, that's really interesting. After his short but memorable run on The Tonight Show before the NBC Leno screwery, you can tell he enjoyed the freedom that TBS gave him (albeit on a smaller budget). I only watched the first few years regularly but I know he scaled back to a shorter format more recently. I can see him carrying that forward as a good pairing with Last Week Tonight and being an extremely less-douchy alternative to Bill Mahr, as far as the late night comedy/talk show angle goes.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    Juliet316 likes this.
  24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    A weekly series sounds great. I am sure that is easier to manage too.

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    yah I'll definitely watch more Conan as a weekly show aside from random scattered bits on youtube. Bring back Pimpbot5000!

Juliet316 likes this.