main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    What a relief. I keep getting random sniffles for a few hours at a time and migraines and keep expecting to have things go suddenly wrong. After all, I’m the girl who got pneumonia lying in bed, herniated a disc standing at a light, broke an ankle stepping off a front porch.

It snowed yesterday and it’s still icy today. So I’m under fleece blankets on the beanbag chair with a Truman Capote book and quite comfortable.

Jedi Knight Fett and jcgoble3 like this.
  2. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    That's a relief! Phew!

jcgoble3 likes this.
  3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I knew it was a mistake applying for this grant project thing because I'm having a heck of a time motivating myself to work on it. The "project" is a 2500-5000 word blog post but I have all the information written because I'm basically converting part of my dissertation from "academic" writing to a more practical/useful resource (without plagiarizing myself). Needless to say if I actually sat down and focused, it would only take me a day or two (I then have to do the pictures and graphics but I don't think it will take me very long). Thankfully I do have a due date... unfortunately that due date is at the end of March, so not exactly the kick in the pants I need. Part of me wants to get it done incase I end up getting a job, the other part of me wants to take my time with this project, only write when I'm in the mood for non-fiction writing (which I can be good at, but only if I'm in the right mindset).

I need to go for a walk (thankfully most of the snow has melted) and see if I can get in the right mindset.

mavjade likes this.
  4. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Oh this is a huge mood right now. Been putting off this school project for two weeks because the due date was so far away and so I had no motivation to start despite knowing it would be a difficult and time-consuming project. Now I'm a week before the due date, just trying to start the programming portion of the project, and hoping the professor grants an extension on Tuesday (which seems very possible based on discussion in class today, but isn't guaranteed).

Unfortunately, I can't do this because it's been steadily raining all day. I just have to try to force my unwilling mind to do it, and forcing myself to do difficult work rarely leads to anything but frustration.

Jedi Knight Fett and mavjade like this.
  5. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I can relate to this.

I swear both my brain and the world are against me being productive sometimes. I got back from my walk ready to do my timer trick (I figured this method while doing my dissertation which I also struggled finding motivation to start working on because of a far off due date - basically I set a timer for 15 minutes, turn off all distractions and just work - If I get in "the grove", great, if not, at least I tried to get something down for 15 minutes), and then my sister called me. She's doing some 8 hour business/coding competition she needed me to make a video for (her team was given a prompt at the beginning of 8 hours and by the end they have to pitch a business idea and a website to investors and the winners actually get the money. The prompt had something to do with creating employment opportunities for people with physical disabilities so guess who got roped into helping :rolleyes:). Anyways, and then my blood sugar went low, and my grocery order came but for some reason my enterphone isn't working so I had to meet them outside. Needless to say it's almost 4:30 and I'm giving up for the day.

I know what I need to do: wake up early one day, sit with a cup of tea and just get a whole lot done on this.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  6. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I need to do something similar, except in my case it would be sprawl out on the floor late in the evening and work nonstop until major progress has been made, even if I'm up until sunrise as a result.

Obviously, I can only do this on a Friday or Saturday night, because I can't pull an all-nighter on a school night.

Speaking of having school the next day, my stats professor emailed the class at 10:30pm tonight with a super-brief "Don't forget about tomorrow morning's stats exam!". I sent a reply back saying "Boooo. Way to ruin a perfectly good Friday. :p" Of course the exam has been set for tomorrow since the syllabus was made available on day 1, and most of our exams are on Fridays (we have an exam every other week for a total of seven, and the arithmetic mean of those exam grades is the entire final grade for the semester). But I couldn't resist poking a little fun at the late night email.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Earthquake and terrible tsunamis in Greece. @Chyntuck, hope you're okay! [:D]

8. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Count me in on the not motivated to do work unless there's a deadline. I think I mentioned in here before that work decided to add a bunch of paperwork and we had to back date to June? Well as far as I know there's no deadline, so I just keep putting it off even though I have the time. Mostly I think, because I think it's stupid and micromanaging to start with.

But I've actually been on vacation this week so I wasn't doing anything for work, and man I needed that! We drove to a friend's house that's kinda out of the way (they aren't here) and have kept to ourselves for the week. It's nice to look at other walls than our own apartment. Also, we can walk the dog without a mask on because no one is around... it's so nice! It's been precipitating almost the whole time (mostly rain, snow today) but we did manage to get in a hike in the woods. It was our doggo's first time on a hike and he LOVED it! We'll have to take him on more when the weather gets nice again.

9. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I need to do this. This studio apartment feels like it's getting smaller and smaller every week.

Meanwhile, I've made no progress on my project due in six days. Going to have to really buckle down and get something done over the weekend, and pray the professor gives us the extension on Tuesday he talked about possibly considering yesterday.

10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I hope Chyn is okay too.

Glad you got away for a week Mav! Sometimes you just need a change of surroundings and I think we could all use that now! But ugh, unnecessary work with no due date. That sounds like a recipe for it never getting done if it were me.

Today was another frustrating day and I barely got anything done on my project. My phone was on the fritz yesterday so I couldn't let in the 2 deliveries I had yesterday (from two different delivery services) so I had to go pick them up which took a lot longer than I expected. Medical stuff went haywire right before I left so I ended up leaving later than I planned :rolleyes: and got back even later. By the time I sat down to start working it was already like 3:30. I did a half hour but I just cant bring myself to work past 4 anymore (or on the weekends). I could if I absolutely needed to (I did that plenty in my undergrad), but since my whole issue is the due date being 5 months away, its just not happening.

Part of my issue is also my sleep schedule and that whole situation is also frustrating me.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    Mistress_Renata likes this.
  11. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Hey guys, what has happened since I have been away? For the last 11 weeks I have been totally preoccupied with worrying and writing letters to my son in Army Basic Training. He graduated yesterday! Woot! I honestly didn't think he would join. I would tell him stories about my time in the military and he always said it didn't sound appealing. He is loving it now. He is in school to be a helicopter mechanic. I hope he does great with the training. Both of his parents are Airborne qualified...maybe he will apply for that...no pressure though. lol! I am currently on vacation. I took time off to see his graduation and to have Family Day. But that was all cancelled because of the virus. I kept my vacation though. I hope to get some writing done. And I watched The Mandalorian. It was okay. I am still hoping that Mara Jade will show up. The Mandalorian is looking for Jedi to return The Child (not spoilers-info from last season). Well, Mara Jade would be looking for Luke...you know...to get rid of her Last Command. Maybe she will offer to help find him. [Sigh] I know...wishful thinking.

12. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    This. This is why all of my plans to work on my project have failed.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I relate to that so much. On a similar note I recently told my (also disabled) friend "screw being abled bodied, I think I'd be happier and get so much more done if I were just a morning person." She replied something to the effect of "Neither of those things are ever going to happen." And she is so right. I can 100% wake up early if there's somewhere I need to be or something I need to do at a scheduled time. But since I have neither of those things, I have zero discipline. I have a sleep schedule, that sleep schedule is just from about 1-2AM to about 10 AM.

14. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Every. Word. Of. This. Is 100% true for me as well. Including the sleep schedule times.

I got nothing done today either. I had plans to drive to a local gaming store when they opened at noon to pick up a Pokémon TCG prerelease pack for the newest set, because there is an expensive promo card potentially in it and they were selling at MSRP of $25 (most stores were selling at $50 to $80). I got the prerelease pack (and lucked out and got the expensive promo, 1 in 4 chance) and came home to an 82°F apartment.

The problem is that I live on the fourth floor and heat rises, so my apartment is always much hotter than outside absent cooling. Unfortunately, my A/C unit is mounted in the wall, so its thermostat reads a mixture of inside and outside air. It was too cold outside for the A/C to kick on at its setting, but the bright noon sun was shining directly on my south-facing apartment, so my apartment was scorching hot. I had to crank the A/C up to 10 (literally; the temperature knob is an abstract scale from 1 to 10) and then strip down to my underwear because I was burning up in my sweatshirt and long pants. It took five hours to bring the inside temperature down to a half-comfortable 73°F, and by then it was time for dinner and I needed to go to the grocery store. So today is shot.

15. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I had a pretty up and down week. I tracked down the info to see if a previous employer did, in fact, create a 401k account for me and found $1456 in it. I applied for the Covid-related expense grant from my tribe and got approved for $1000. I had overtime last week, so I had a great paycheck. I bought tickets to surprise my best friend’s kids for Christmas because I’m actually going to be coming with them on the family trip to Florida for her 40th birthday. I got to go hiking yesterday and really enjoyed it.

On the other hand, work sucked. My dad and I got in yet another argument on Tuesday because he’s trying to rewrite history. A friend’s brother was killed by police and the details are still unclear. Sean Connery died.

16. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    This post is intentionally blank to avoid the curse of the post number. I wish post number 6666 on no one.

Jedi Knight Fett and DarthIshtar like this.
  17. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Great to see you @Jedi_Lover!! [:D] Congrats to your son on completing Basic Training!! I have a friend who's son also recently completed it and the Army streamed the ceremony, did you get to at least do that? I know it's not the same as being there, but it's something.

If you can, you should, even if it's only for a few days! We didn't really do anything different than we've been doing in our own apartment, but just being in a different place really helped.

I too have a natural sleep cycle of going to bed around 1-2am and wake up 9 to 10am. I also get the drive to do things around 8-10pm (like clean, exercise, etc.) which doesn't really work in an apartment. dp also has this same natural sleep cycle so we kinda feed off each other, which is not always a good thing when one of us has to get up early the next day. :p

Ish- YAY for finding a 401K with money in it! and the grant! Those are awesome things!! Sorry about all of the crappy things. :( [:D]

18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Just to be pedantic but #6666 has zero meaning. The whole 666 thing has a lot to do with Hebrew numerology and the three sixes are important to the meaning, four sixes change this. But this probably isn't the place to discuss. However, if you want to know more about numbers and their symbology in Judeo-Christian religion, this is a good starting point. Revelations might seem like some weird stuff and a lot of people have taken it at face-value and ran with it because (as we know) fear sells. But if you start to understand the symbology behind the book, it makes so much more sense. But I will stop myself from going into a historical context rant.

Ish. Yay for the money! However I am sad to read about the other things.

Mav - Yeah, living in an apartment and having this sleep schedule does make things like exercising, cleaning, taking out the garbage something I have to make sure I get done at a decent hour. There are certainly pros and cons to living in an apartment and thats certainly one of them.

Also just a mini COVID rant. I was supposed to hang out with a small group of 6 friends today - something that is allowed but public health officials have recently really been emphasizing the "SAME 6 PEOPLE" due to the recent upswing in cases (basically we can hang out in groups, but it has to be the same 6 people or isolate yourself/household if you want to see a different group of 6). However, despite having plans for this for a month now, one of the friends (who was hosting) went out last night and hung out with a different group of 6. I'm thankful she told us. I did the right thing (even though it sucked) and backed out, which lead to (thankfully) other people saying they weren't comfortable and now we are just going to postpone for 2 weeks. But it is kinda frustrating. First that one selfish decision can uproot everyone and second that no one wanted to speak up and say "no, that's not okay, I'm uncomfortable with this" until I did.

Gah, I think I need to get dressed, do some tidying, then have some fun with my NANO project!

mavjade , gizkaspice and Gamiel like this.
  19. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I interpreted the 6666 in memory of those lost in Order 66.

20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I like that interpretation better

#empiredidnothingwrong

jcgoble3 likes this.
  21. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    To me, the more sixes in a row (starting with three), the worse the luck. But maybe that's just me.

Jedi Knight Fett and DarthIshtar like this.
  22. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Good for you for taking the initiative to say you're uncomfortable with it! That is really responsible of you and we need more people like you. I'm so sick of seeing people not take this pandemic seriously, just continuing to clutter into groups, etc. I totally understand Covid fatigue, but there are ways to meet people and be safe and NOT have cases result in a second wave.

Just last night on Halloween, we had a surge of idiots gather on the streets loitering around being idiots because I guess it's fun to just ignore public health orders and be selfish. Seriously, if people just DID what they were told and FOLLOWED public measures, this pandemic would be long over and we would be back to normal actually being social, having jobs, having our lives back on track, etc. I understand if it's just a few outliers, but these are sometimes hundreds of reckless people and my faith in humanity is literally negative infinity at this point.

/angrycovidrant + need more cat videos

23. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Our neighbors had 200 people in the small rec facility that’s in the backyard and the police broke it up at 11:45. Elsewhere, paramedics came to the rescue of a woman who had fallen while crowd-surfing. That’s right. Crowd-surfing at a 10,000-person party in one of the hottest spots in the states. This is the sort of reason they are the hottest spots in the state.

24. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    That sucks she did that, but thank you for doing the right thing! A lot of people don't want to be the first, but will certainly follow if someone else does it.

Wow. [face_plain] Yep, it's why things are going back up in a lot of places, people are getting bored of it and think it's all over. Things like that have been happening here, though I've not heard of anything that big. That's insane!

I have an acquaintance who decided to go on a big vacation to very public/crowded places (in a state where it's rampaging) because it was cheap. They got COVID and almost died. And of course they were someone who was like 'it's not a big deal, live you life." :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    :rolleyes: The whole situation is just frustrating. If everyone just followed the rules (or if places had rules) we'd be out of this mess by now. It sucks when stupid people continually ruin things for the rest of us.

Anyways, Today was mildly productive for me in terms of this grant project. I wasn't as productive as I wanted to be, but at least I got something done. Once again I kept getting interrupted and distracted. This is why I miss being able to work at libraries or coffee shops. However, one interruption was for a package. I bought some fabric (because what else am I going to do this winter but sew?) and I thought it was going to take like a month or two to get here. Nope, like just over a week. Some of it is some fairly bright stuff for my sister for a quilt I'm doing for her so I'll have to take a pic! It's like neon!

However, one frustrating thing was I actually was woken up this morning at a decent hour (7:30) and I could have gotten up but my body was like "nope, too cold outside these sheets." WHY AM I LIKE THIS?