main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.01 - Chapter 9 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Oct 29, 2020.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Nov 13, 2020.
  1. 10

21.5%
  2. 9

31.9%
  3. 8

32.6%
  4. 7

10.4%
  5. 6

1.5%
  6. 5

1.5%
  7. 4

0.7%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The exogorth was bigger. :p

2. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Indeed. The child could start his training 100 years after Rey dies and still technically be only around the equivalent age Luke was in RotJ. The child isn’t dying. They may as well cancel Star Wars and never make anything related to the ip ever again if they kill the child. Especially in service to a trilogy half the fan base actively didn’t seem to enjoy, and casual audiences didn’t flock to. That character is the gateway to the next 1000 years of in-universe stories.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think Baby Yoda, Rey and other's will be involed in future jedi stories. Teenage Yoda can turn up after ST.

4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    True. Might be a little awkward to have Baby Yoda and Ridley in the same scenes, though, as the former has a lot more range as an actor.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  5. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Its not worth thinking about him as a teenager. They will not age him up for a long time. He is too big an asset. Infact Im still waiting for him to get a Baby Yoda, or whatever his name will be in future, Disney animated show for kids. so they can sell him to 3-6 year olds.

6. The Senate

The Senate Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 12, 2020
    I honestly don’t think Babay Yoda will go with Luke.I think Mando may find him and try to give him to Luke but the child will refuse and want to stay with Mando_Or he will rejoin his kind.

7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Yeah true Ridley has that, lol. To be fair she was a newbie, she is just there with Hamil and Hayden when they first began their star wars journey.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  8. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Is anything of significance added to the show by having Mando wear his helmet all the time?

Seems like if they originally wrote the show with Mando taking his helmet off on-screen every episode they could still tell the same story with no real significant chances made.

Edit: @The Senate there is no payoff to uniting Baby Yoda with Luke since we know Baby Yoda plays no role in the ST and everything goes to crap for the good guys in the ST.

Just picture it: Baby Yoda gets dropped off with Luke and then...nothing...nothing happens with Baby Yoda and Luke that has a meaningful impact on the future of the Jedi.

There is no way Baby Yoda will meet up with Luke and if he is he won’t stick around. The whole season/series could be about reuniting Baby Yoda with somebody but we all know Mando is his family and Baby Yoda will stick with Mando forever...we’ll at least until Mando dies.

9. KamNale

KamNale Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2012
    The Space Slug and the Summa-Verminoth in Solo I think are both larger than the Krayt Dragon

10. Master Cado Afu

Master Cado Afu Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2020
    It seems like it's just one of those things that sounded like a cool idea and so they're doing it. Much in the same way that none of these people seem that familiar with the Force. That's easier to explain away though: it's a big galaxy.

It it curious that they went with the helmet thing, though. Dave Filoni obviously knows it's something that's never been done or even brought up before. And Jon Faverau voiced Pre Vizsla, so he's aware of this too.

Maybe Din Djarin and Boba Fett will have a conversation about this and we'll learn of it's origin.

I'm not sure if Luke can ever even know about the child, can he?

Anyway, I'm thinking if they do an Ashoka show then that's where the child will end up.

And I would assume Dave Filoni would showrun an Ashoka show like Jon Faverau is the showrunner for The Mandalorian. And so each one gets the child for their show.

Do The Mandalorian for another two years maybe. Then kill him offf and pass the child over to Ashoka. Have her look after the child, find his kind, whatever, and use that as the reason why we never hear about the child in the sequel trilogy.

Random thought: I wonder if they can do Maz Kanata on a Disney+ budget? As massive of a budget The Mandalorian most likely has, time may be the determining factor in something like that.

11. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I think they could do Maz Kanata far easier today then maybe a few years ago. so id argue they probably could do Maz Kanata.

The one I'm most curious about is whether they have the budget for de-ageing. and whether they could pull off alot of it.

12. The Senate

The Senate Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 12, 2020
    I wonder what Boba Fetts fate will be when the show ends?

13. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Maz would be easy to de-age with CGI.

14. Boba Fett.

Boba Fett. Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 14, 2020
    The thing is, The Mandalorian without Baby Yoda doesn't have the same impact. So I imagine they will find something for the child to stay with Djarin.

15. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I was thinking of land-based creatures...the Space Slug/Exogorth was some guy's hand up a sock! This Krayt Dragon was some serious CGI at work!

16. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I wasn't thinking of Maz when i mentioned De-aging lol. i was thinking more of the Obi Wan show.

Probably left very open. you don't bring him back just to kill him again.

Tan-Wessel likes this.
  17. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I see.. well I’ve got nothing then. :p

18. Boba Fett.

Jul 14, 2020
    They might want to kill Fett so that his shadow no longer hangs around their new Mandalorian colt.
    I hope not, but it is a possibility. "Kill the past ..."

19. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    But they had a way to say he was dead. they didn't take it clearly. he is officially alive in canon again.

TadoFett likes this.
  20. Master Cado Afu

Master Cado Afu Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2020
    We learn that in the last five years on Tatooine he's started a family.

He's got seven kids, all trained from birth. Yeah, there's a couple of sets of twins in there; Star Wars loves it's twins. And a hold-over from cloning DNA or something. That's the next Boba Fett show. Boba Fett and his family of assassins and bounty hunters. Cosa Nostra. This is our thing.

Star Wars version of The Godfather.

Or maybe not.

Okay, so put Maz Kanata in an Ashoka show. Bring back Takodana Castle and the whole menagerie of characters. Blow out the budget.

Yeah, it's makes the galaxy small, but so what.

EDIT: And I was going to ask about who you wanted to see de-aged.

Who for the Obi-Wan show?

21. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    Story-wise, I think it's a visual metaphor for Din Djarin being closed off emotionally towards others. I think that came through pretty strongly in "The Sanctuary". Part of him wants a quiet life with Omera, or someone like her, but his violent past and his identity as a Mandalorian keep him away from that life. The helmet literally keeps him away from her.

I would be very surprised if the larger story of The Mandalorian isn't about Din redefining what it means to be a Mandalorian and reaching a point where he is comfortable, culturally and emotionally, with taking his helmet off. The pieces seem in place for that in my opinion.

From a more cinematic standpoint, I like the simplicity of it. He also doesn't talk a lot, so a lot of his emotions need to be conveyed through body language and visual storytelling.

He also just looks cool. :D

22. Boba Fett.

Jul 14, 2020
    Good point.
    But it was a disappointing ending for any fan of the character. It's entirely possible that Favreau decided to bring him back to give him a better ending. A true honorable death. And that his character, Din Djarin, can continue the legacy.
    I prefer to have this eventuality in mind, just in case.

23. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    You do realize that "kill the past" was something said by the villain, yes?
    The whole concept was already rejected in the movie it was brought up in, so why would it be any different now?

If they end up killing Boba, it will be because it is part of the narrative. If they were in any way bothered by his shadow, which doesn't seem likely at all, they wouldn't have bothered to bring him back in the first place. A simple "he was killed by the Sarlacc" would have done the job.

DarthRamRod, TadoFett and TCF-1138 like this.
  24. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Well if rumour is true then they intend to do Clone wars flashbacks in the Kenobi show, and while many could argue Ewan and presumably Hayden look good for their age, they probably would still need abit of de-aging otherwise it will be fairly glaring they look abit older than they did in episode 3. and then there is also a rumour of Cody being involved in some way. which might mean Morrison being involved again in either the Clone wars era or part of the empire era. so i am just curious are they gonna go all out with these flashbacks? are they able too with the budget? Will Disney put the money in?

I mean doing a CGI character or Mo-cap is one thing. but i dunno the technical work it involves to do de-aging. it still seems fairly new.

Master Cado Afu likes this.
  25. Boba Fett.

Jul 14, 2020
    Many were waiting for Boba Fett's return, I doubt the "he was killed by the Sarlacc" would have done the job.

In these uncertain times when the dead are not really dead. The shadow of Boba Fett would have continued to hover around of Djarin ... Hence the interest in bringing him back.

"Kill the past" is said by a villain, certainly ... But the result is that the majority of the old characters are dead.