main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.01 - Chapter 9 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Oct 29, 2020.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Nov 13, 2020.
  1. 10

21.5%
  2. 9

31.9%
  3. 8

32.6%
  4. 7

10.4%
  5. 6

1.5%
  6. 5

1.5%
  7. 4

0.7%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I like this idea...which means I bet Disney won’t do something this cool regardless of whether it looks like that’s what they’re setting up.

2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Mando being largely faceless is one of my favorite (and boldest) aspects of the show, so I hope they stick with it for a long while. It’s such an unprecedented move, made even more impressive by the fact that it...works! For many reasons, but mainly because it is a strong visual metaphor for a character of his type. Emotionally closed. And I fully expect that his larger personal journey will involve slowly redefining himself, and ending with him deciding to (not being forced to) remove his helmet, and live his life as an individual (possibly with someone who really digs him, on a forest planet...).
    In context of the quality of the Mandalorian show so far, I’m not sure I fully understand the cynicism about their willingness/ capacity to do cool things. The show so far proved that that they definitely have that capacity.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  3. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Him coming across someone like Bo Katan, Sabine or another more moderate Mandalorian who does take off their helmet regularly would certainly help pave the way for such a character development. He was raised by a very closed off sect of Mando's, his relationship with the Child and a discussion with a member of a different House could be a big deal for his character arc. I can imagine such an encounter would start of tense, but he could be talked around.

Grey Matter and TadoFett like this.
  4. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    My other favorite thing about the Mandalorian is that it has finally killed the ridiculous notion that Star Wars “doesn’t do flashbacks.” Some of the best parts of this show have been flashbacks.

5. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    That's exactly what I was thinking. I could even see Ahsoka playing into that idea, assuming the rumours are true. She is a practicing Force wielder who lives like a Jedi in many ways, but has renounced the Jedi Order and isn't beholden to all its rules and traditions.

Grey Matter and TadoFett like this.
  6. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    It would be very odd if Din Djarin is seeking out jedi, yet there is no mention or a situation where he meets up with Luke, the most famous jedi in the galaxy, and only one who most people would have heard of. I highly doubt he ends up with him, but I could easily see them meeting up, and Luke not being ready to start training students yet, since he's still searching the galaxy for knowledge and the past of the jedi. Him ending up with a former jedi is more likely, or back with his own kind.

7. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Admittedly it has less to do with the Mandalorian and more to do with how demoralized the ST left me. There there a good handful of theories on this site that were better than what the ST went with so when I hear good ideas about the Mando I can't help but think the powers that be won't follow through with what appears to be set.

RetropME and Tan-Wessel like this.
  8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    It seems to make more sense to look at the Mandalorian thus far (and its makers, neither of whom had anything to do with the ST), when trying to judge what will happen in the Mandalorian in the future. I don’t see how the ST’s faults have anything to do with this show.

RetropME likes this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    How can you be killed by something that slowly digests you over a thousand years?

10. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    Upon re-watching the latest Chapter several times, I really appreciate Favreau's efforts in reinforcing Tatooine culture; mainly in relation to architecture and dress.

The building structures in Mos Pelgo are very similar to Mos Eisley and I love that Tatooine has its own particular style of building. Also, where dress is concerned, when the Krayt Dragon came to town, one of the women fleeing into a building bore the same dress style as Aunt Beru. Even the men bare similarities to Luke, Owen, young Anakin, etc.

I really love that Tatooine culture is being reinforced.

Another thing that I noticed that would have Yoda jumping up and down in the Force-afterlife is the little version of his species.

Yoda "Adventure, excitement, a Jedi craves not these things"

The Child "Yeah.... okay Grandpa.... you and your funny old ways".

I just love how his eyes light up and he has this big, happy smile on his face when he enters the fight club and watches the Gamorreans clash their axes/blades - and as Din and him ride out to Mos Pelgo and his ears are blowing in the wind behind him. The Child is in pure bliss and any Jedi Master who may want to instill "the old ways" on him will face a serious uphill challenge I would think.

11. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Dune was doing this well before Star Wars or Tremors but it was brilliant none the less

12. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I think he's depending a bit too much on Tatooine culture, especially in a series that is supposed to be set all over the galaxy. During my re-watch of "Chapter 9", it occurred to me that not only did it remind me of the Nabooan-Gungan situation in "The Phantom Menace", but also "Chapter 2" and "Chapter 4" from Season One. And that makes me feel a bit uneasy. I don't think he will be able to really break away from the Original Trilogy and do something . . . well, original.

fett 4 likes this.
  13. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    This could be similar to the wayward-apprentices interaction between Ahsoka and Maul. But in this case Ahsoka could influence Din to reconsider his own position, albeit indirectly since she wouldn't be pushy about it and I don't see her potential part in Mando being a major one anyway. It would definitely be interesting, though. to see how she might affect Din's view of the Jedi.

14. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    we get it, you don’t like the ST

do you have any thoughts about the show unrelated to the ST?

Vinylshadow likes this.
  15. Vader Bob

Vader Bob Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2020
    I think they’re using the show to rebuild the universe from the ground up. Fix holes, tell the back stories, etc. We’ll see a lot of detailed fleshing out of familiar characters, places, species, etc. Obviously new things will be added too but I think part of the long term strategy is to use the Disney+ shows to do some of the heavy lifting in cleaning up things for the next phase of movies.

RetropME and Generational Fan like this.
  16. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    Rebuild the universe? No, oh no![face_not_talking] It's one thing to add to the universe, but to rebuild it? Fix holes? I don't need holes fixed. It's too late. And whenever a franchise calls itself fixing a plot hole or something, it usually ends up making things worse. Right now, Disney's writing for Star Wars is at best mixed.

17. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I can see the show teasing the fans that Mando is on his way to meet up with Luke and maybe even an official meeting is scheduled between the two and then something happens at the meeting point where Mando changes his mind and leaves all of a sudden and then we just hear or see a brief Luke meandering over and no one's there, so he just shrugs and goes back into his janky Academy.

Maybe Mando has since already come across various Jedi temples and places and took one look at Luke's Academy of huts and was like "ahh nope, this is a bit too culty". The irony.

Starvation and dehydration?

18. Vader Bob

Vader Bob Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2020
    Think of it as creating a more robust foundation for future stories to spring from. Getting your ducks in a row and the smaller stuff in place type thing. Makes more sense to do it organically with the smaller properties than to try and cram it all into the next series on the big screen. Among the many issues with the ST was that they had to cover too much ground at the expense of the story development. JMO anyway.

19. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    I agree with you in wanting something original such as a new planet or location, because that is what I crave from Star Wars as well. But I am also happy for the storytellers to explore known locations more providing its not the same dressed-up window frontage that you always see.

I'm a person who likes to look at small particulars, intricacies, a character broken down to their smallest parts. I want to walk past the shop front and explore whats out the back of the shop, whats upstairs, whats in the skip bin out the back in the alley way. I want to know it all. It doesn't mean I will get a greater understanding about something more than another person, it simply feeds my brain in thinking about that something.

Because take for example the night where Din, Cobb and the Sandpeople are sitting around the fire and a Sandperson hands Cobb a fruit (or something) to drink. Cobb turns his nose up at it... "that stinks, I'm not drinking that" - which then leads to an altercation. Din then turns to Cobb and says something like "first you people take all of their water, and now you insult them by not accepting the offering". Whilst this is not an example of culture in respect of architecture or dress, its an example of culture in respect of how the human inhabitants of Tatooine interact with the Sandpeople and it gets me thinking.....

So these people come to Tatooine and to carve out a living in this extremely hostile and desolute place, the human inhabitants turn to moisture farming. So they suck out every ounce of moisture from the air and ground, but the Sandpeople need to satisfy a thirst too. So when they can't obtain moisture naturally from the environment like they have always done, they look towards the moisture vaporators to obtain water. But this then leads them into direct confrontation with the farmers and hence, starts this conflict and animosity between the two - and as each reacts to each other, the "relationship" gets worse and worse. Maybe even Shmi was trying to defend a moisture vaporator when she was taken - which, like Anakin, you automatically assume or believe these people are just brutal and primitive savages that need to be slaughtered. Maybe they were just damn thirsty because the moisture vaporators have dried up all natural springs.

Or another example is how Cobb recalls the aftermath (no pun intended) of the Death Star 2.0 blowing up and instantly after the Imperials retreat, anarchy unfolds. This gets me thinking about Admiral Rae Sloane who is an Imperial because she believes in the law and order ideals it has - and not the evils that Palpatine, Vader, Tarkin and so on unleash on the galaxy.

And the thing is is that a movie doesn't have time for all of this. They only have time to present the window-shop front. So I just love it when a show like the Mandalorian gives me that little bit more; even if its a known location.

Because two places I have always wanted to see are the lower levels of Coruscant and Nar Shaddaa (all of it). I've read about them and the Clone Wars cartoon showed lower Coruscant briefly, but I doubt that Din will go there; well, maybe Nar Shaddaa. My hope is that the Cassian Andor show will deal with this area.

But again, for me, it would be exploring the culture and workings of a place; even if the location is familiar. I'm happy for both new and detailed known.

TadoFett likes this.
  20. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    To me it felt like it was borrowing from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom where they are eating from the starving villagers and Indy says something similar to Willie Scott

TadoFett likes this.
  21. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    The main character is literally Boba Fett who hangs out with Yoda in his baby years. Original is not on the list.

22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I don't think that as anything to with the orignal theme off this series, Baby Yoda is totally original and nothing ever done before. Plus this Mnado is 10 times better then Boba Fett has ever been. We slowly getting more and more mandalorians, mentions of the home planet of Mandalore and maybe in coming seasons see the glass world.

23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    It’s the small town western setting, and the underground creature(s) attacking its inhabitants, that led me to mention Tremors. I’m aware of Dune’s sand worms, but the dynamics here felt more like Tremors. Not to mention that ain’t nobody trying to ride the Krayt dragon. ;)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  24. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    water equals buffalo. I absolutely loved that it was a cowboy and indians episode but from the indians perspective.

25. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Has there been any word why we aren’t getting simultaneous soundtrack releases?