main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I like the idea that it's not just an aesthetic thing, but an outright taunt on Thrawn's part. The guy who psychoanalyzes his opponents in part through their art or taste in art has a giant piece of artwork on his own flagship's hull - it's essentially a dare to try and beat him at his own game.

2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    So I haven't bought or played Squadrons yet, but I was watching a video and it was mentioned that you can fly under a capital ship's shields to attack hardpoints and subsystems on the hull? That sounds new. Also, what do tractor beams do in-game?

3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Annoy the hell out of me, by and large.

4. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I wonder how a Viscount-class Star Defender would do against an Executor-class Dreadnought? In theory, they should be evenly matched, but I think I’d give an edge to the Viscount. Mon Cal shields are inherently superior to anything built by Kuat.

Pons and Iron_lord like this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Saga Edition's Starships of the Galaxy book gives the Star Defender a significantly higher challenge rating than the Executor - so you're not the only one to see the Star Defender as more dangerous.

Sinrebirth and Vialco like this.
  6. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    My dear fellow Fleetjunkies...

I got new old ships to ponder!

Respectively the Lucrehulc Cruiser-Carrier. I toyed with it in my head and tried a version that removed both Hangar arms reducing it to just big engines and the sphereoid forward section. Does such a version maybe exist? Then, how can we max out the Hangar arm capacity for fighter carriage as well as how many Droidfighters can it carry on its outer hull? Like we did for the Nebulon-B, any estimated guesses aside official stats?
    Likewise, how about thinking up non-carrier versions of a Lucrehulc that uses that hangar space? Add additional power generators and its shields and weapon systems can be maxed out to impenetreable giving us a neat heavy dreadnaught!

Another vessel related to it, the C-9979 Landing Craft. How did it carry cargo etc. before being configured for war and tank-carrying. Are there civilian versions of it? Civilian versions of the MTT as cargo vehicle? Imagine a Lucrehulc Postal cruiser landing the C-9979's and unloading MTTs with postal logo delivering galactic parcel!!!

Long Snoot and Sean_Connery like this.
  7. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I guess it's possible the core ship could attach to other modules other than the ring-arms we've seen. As to what function this might serve...I dunno.

DarthJaceus and The2ndQuest like this.
  8. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I remember the old cross-sections books describing the civilian versions of those ships and vehicles, and mentioning some of the other designs a core ship can plug into, though there aren't a lot of details

Nom von Anor and Alpha-Red like this.
  9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Geonosian Dreadnought's remain a thing, I recall.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  10. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    "The Haor Chall Engineering works produced a design for a landing craft that would carry the attack vehicles and troops to ground sites from Trade Federation battleships and, after a period of much-debated development, the C-9979 configuration emerged as the choice of the Trade Federation armamemnts committee. Related in design to commercial cargo barges in the trade fleet, these ships were built for the sole purpose of transporting AATs, battle droids, and MTTs from orbiting battleships to strategic positions on planet surfaces." - The Phantom Menace: Incredible Cross Sections
    Looking at the movie the way MTTs fit juuuust right inside the transports seems to confirm this idea that the ships were built around the need to carry them (with extra space for AATs, STAPs and PACs on the wingtips), although the book does mention that similar designs exist in the commercial fleet.

DarthJaceus and JediBatman like this.
  11. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I think Star Wars Galaxies had a corvette thing that looked like a related design - I mean, only as wreckage, but still interesting.

[​IMG]
    Ok, looking again more different than I remember but still me be from the same company.

12. Long Snoot

Mar 1, 2018
    So the new cross sections book is coming out in a few days and the two exclusive artworks are still a mistery; I half suspect one might be the Razor Crest, unless they want to save it for the upcoming Mandalorian visual guide.

13. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    No mystery,I got the book last week already!

Xyxston-class Star Destroyer double page

Knights of Ren's ship double page

That's it! Also, former fold out pages are no longer fold out but spread over several pages in the book which is stupid if you ask me.

The2ndQuest and Long Snoot like this.
  14. Long Snoot

Mar 1, 2018
    Yeah I agree, especially for giant, very wide artworks like the Providence and Lucrehulk had. Does it have brief entries for ships that do not get a cross section artwork, like with the Mandator IV or Xi-class shuttle in the episode VIII book?
    The Xyston and Night Buzzard did feel like weird omissions in the IX visual dictionary so I'm glad they're here. Hopefully the Xyston's internal configuration helps making it feel like its own separate ship compared to an ISD

Vialco likes this.
  15. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    The Xyxston's internal makeup is very different indeed to other Stardestroyers.

As for the other questions I have to check when back home.

Long Snoot likes this.
  16. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Do they yet again annoy me by not including the
    Naboo Skiff from RoTS

17. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Was there that much content to fill a double page, @ColeFardreamer...?

18. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    If it wasn't in earlier versions of the book it won't be now. The only new additions I mentioned in the spoiler tag already.

DK can fill entire books without any content, but in case of the
    Xyxston, there are a few interesting bits indeed.

We get some vague dating as to when Palpatine knew of Exegol and used it. Like since TPM (Quote: "Upon his ascent to power Darth Sidious begins to modernise these facilities as part of his long-view contingency...") he had access to it and upgraded the millennia old Sith shipyards for Exegol dates back to the and I quote "old Sith Wars".

And the power output to create the superlaser that can shatter planets is explained technically making me feel remniscient of Centerpoint Station!!! It mentions the reactor creating a miniature sun within the reactor that then fuels/channels its energy via a sun energy collector into a kyber much like Starkiller Base did with real suns. But artificially creating a miniature sun within a vessel? Pure Centerpoint! So I suspect more ancient supertech in play, be it Rakata energy harvesting, Killik/Builder/Architect miniature sun creation, or else... but the ship also got weaknesses described and is not overpowered.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  19. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    That description for the Solar ionization reactor of a Star Destroyer has been used since the EU, at least according to Wookieepedia

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/I-a2b_solar_ionization_reactor/Legends

"Often described as a "miniature sun", and incorporating one of the largest single hyperspace field generators ever designed, the massive reactor system occupied more than half of the Imperial-class Star Destroyer's interior."

Unless you mean they're creating an actual miniature sun, and not just something that resembles it
    Also I'm pretty sure the TROS VG also mentioned this fact already.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  20. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    The book mentions the "solar ionization chamber" but that the design is updated and by now "perfected from decades of Imperial experimentation" and now actually creates a real "miniature sun"!

So yub, both!

Tuskin38 likes this.
  21. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    Interesting. Thanks.

22. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    @ColeFardreamer... that's unhelpfully vague but to be expected.

Ascent as Darth Sidious or ascent as Emperor? Either, or, it's a decent amount of time!

23. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    [face_dunno]
    . It says as Darth Sidious.

24. Resistance_Man

Resistance_Man Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2018
    Anything interesting about the Night Buzzard??

25. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Any interesting visual additions to the Xyston interior? Any new exterior shots, or just the TROS ones we've gotten?