main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Americans, who will you vote for in November 2020, for President?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Apr 10, 2020.

?

Americans, who will you vote for in November 2020, for President?

1. Trump

6.5%
  2. Biden

50.8%
  3. Libertarian

3.2%
  4. Green

4.0%
  5. Someone Else (who?)

8.1%
  6. Not Voting

2.4%
  7. Can’t Vote / Not American

21.8%
  8. Undecided

3.2%
  1. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Biden. I was previously undecided. I don't like that he's my candidate.

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Just a few more days of voting...

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    At least 92 million people have already voted in this election

138 million people voted in 2016 so just 46 million more people in 2016 I could see the number going high 100s or maybe even real low 200s

anakinfansince1983 and Rew like this.
  4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    There are ~235,000,000 eligible voters in the United States from what I can tell, which means 200,000,000 would be an insane turnout of 85%. I don't think that's gonna happen.

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Oh your probably right. If I was a betting man I would put it in the 165-170 range then

6. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    Would love to vote 3rd party, but on the off chance that it's not a blue tsunami I'll be voting straight-ticket Dem. And I found one candidate in one election (city council) to actually get excited about! She's not going to win, but there are at least some palatable people running somewhere.

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So I mailed my ballot in 2 weeks ago, but I did decide to go with Biden. Especially with no Green Party in RI, it was between Biden or a write-in, and while I'm not worried about RI overall, I'm worried about my city shifting more to the GOP.

@Lowbacca_1977 , curious, but why Jo?

Runjedirun and Emperor Ferus like this.
  8. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Biden. Not particularly happy about it.

9. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    [:D] for my RYL brother

Pensivia and Deliveranze like this.
  10. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Edit: wrong of me to ask that

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  11. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    While there's definitely some stuff that I disagree with her on (individually and broader philosophically), she's the candidate that I had confidence in the judgement of (though I admit that I didn't go through all the third party and write-in candidates as thoroughly as I could've, I was a bit burnt out after the stack of propositions to read through. So there may have been someone better in there).

This is what she had said would be her day one priorities, for example (from ballotpedia):
    "On Day One of a Jorgensen administration, I will pardon all 80,000 non-violent people imprisoned on federal drug charges. The War on Drugs has been a disaster, and has been used to target the poor and people of color, and to ruin lives that could have been salvaged. Neither Republicans or Democrats have the courage to change the status-quo. I will also use my pardon power to free whistleblowers who risked their liberty to expose corruption and abuse by government agencies. We can protect our communities without sacrificing freedom through failed initiatives like civil asset forfeiture, no-knock raids, qualified immunity, mass surveillance, and the War on Drugs. The land of the free will no longer lead the world in incarceration."

It's an aggressive stance against the war on drugs and the unchecked authority of law enforcement, and I don't see those sorts of concerns elsewhere on the ballot. Not in that blurb but there's also interest in nuclear, which I think is key to dealing with climate change and preparing for a future, and I think that she argues it from a bit more of an evidence-based perspective rather than the fearmongering that exists around nuclear.

Very simply, of the candidates, I felt she was the one I would have the most confidence in (and that surpassed a somewhat arbitrary threshold I have internally to have earned my vote in the first place).

12. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Now, if Bernie was the Democratic nominee, who would you vote for?

13. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Bernie. And Warren, etc

Would have said the same 6 months ago. Disagree far more with Trump than any American left-wing politician I could name

Edited to be more specific

14. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Bernie. Why, do you doubt us?

Edit: Nevermind. Don't think the question was directed at us.

15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Thanks for letting me pick your brain on this on the forum, you're just the first Libertarian voter this time around I know of, so I appreciate it :p

16. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    @Lowbacca_1977 I originally held back from asking this, but out of curiousity, is it too late to change your mind and vote Biden? Not asking for Biden's sake as a person. I don't mean to be inappropriate and I hope you dont' take this the wrong way

17. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Yeah, the question was directed at Lowbacca, as he said earlier in the year that he was behind Bernie in the primary.

18. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    I always go into these things and take the tickets one by one based on the candidates themselves, so I've voted for at least 4 parties plus some independent candidates over the last several election cycles. And never vote straight ticket. But I'm a big believer in not voting by party (though there are still good reasons why, say, the American Independent Party and Peace and Freedom have never gotten my votes even though they have ballot access here)

I think probably Sanders. I think I'd def have to think about it more were it the case, but I think lined up against one another he'd probably come out ahead on that.

I voted about a week ago; I voted for Biden in the 2008 primary, as I think at that time he was the candidate that I thought had a good chance of handling the nation at that point, but I haven't had that same confidence in him this time around. It'd take a lot of work on Biden's part to change my vote now, even if I hadn't already cast it. I don't think he's interested in being that sort of candidate that I would vote for at this point.

19. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    I mean, yeah, I used to do that...look at the candidates themselves and take my time to decide who to vote for. But when one party becomes as thoroughly twisted and evil as the Republicans have, I really didn't have any choice but to go straight-ticket Democrat. Voting certainly takes much less effort now...

20. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Voted for Biden on 17 October.

Runjedirun, Rew, Alpha-Red and 3 others like this.
  21. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    My default is no vote; it's then a question of what earns that vote (be it a campaign or a side on a proposition). With more options, there's usually at least one candidate that I think is deserving of my vote.

If anyone wants my vote on the basis of "just less bad", then they'll have to switch this to ranked choice first.

Of course, there's also that the number of Republicans on my ballot has been dropping. Number of most parties have been dropping, really. It's disappointing.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  22. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    I'd certainly like a ranked choice system as well, but until that day comes, I'm going with "less bad". I would much rather the less bad candidate win in a landslide than have him running neck-and-neck with the extremist.

23. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    If Trump was your average Republican, and Biden was the same, I might very much consider the Green and the Libertarian Parties as alternatives.

As it stands, I agree with @Alpha-Red

24. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Wrote in Bernie when I voted two weeks ago.

25. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

Just checked and in my state Trump is ahead by 8 points. No point even trying to vote for Biden here. Just gonna make a statement with Bernie instead.