main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph “Let's Fly!” - Star Trek: Discovery [Paramount+/Netflix/CraveTV]

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 5, 2016.

1. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    You really are'nt going to let this theory go, are you?:D

I'm pretty sure Book's just an hitherto unknown alien who, in the grand star trek tradition, happens to just look like a Human.

That or he's a waterbender:p.

As for the wormhole thing - come to think of it that maybe how ships travel now; artificial wormholes (perhaps the Trill character won't be a Dax, but rather a carrier of the Kahn symbiont instead?)

There were actually two Trill in the s1 finale of Disco - one at the Orion brothel/carabet and anouther (who I'd like to imagine is Emony;)) getting a tattoo.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Darth Caliban likes this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Personally speaking, Crave stopped posting the episodes early before broadcast on CTVSCIFI (I'd like to think that me watching it at 3 AM on the app before it aired on SciFi channel eventually set off red flags at Bell) so since I can't watch the 9 pm broadcast it's going to be 1 AM repeat for me! It lands on the Crave app 9 pm Friday now.

But anyway I did love the episode, it was a lot of fun and craziness. Big information dump throughout but still got in some great action. And Burnham getting stoned on truth serum was like the most fun I've had with the character like ever. "He shouldn't go running over 1000 year old women in space!"

Anyway glad they referred to the temporal war, if only to make sure that they cannot time travel away from their problems again. Also Andorians and Orion's working together! And a Morn!

Not sure how Burnham got eaten but survived while all the baddies got chopped but what the hell.

And that Starfleet liaison guy I totally think is my favourite new character. I thought the final scene was really moving and if he seems a bit too much, we saw the poor guy's life. He brushes his teeth (well the machine does) and he stares. For decades. Poor guy. When a genuine 1000 year old Starfleet officer walks in he's going to get a bit emotional.

K2771991 and Darth Caliban like this.
  3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I mean, we soooooooort of saw it in Enterprise a little bit as it was proto-Federation, then the Federation at the end... and then we've never seen it because the Federation was just... there. And now that it's more or less gone, through no apparent fault of its own, it sort of makes sense that the people who internalized and idolized the Federation would revere it.

Similar to how some people viewed the Jedi after they were gone, one supposes. I actually really liked the scene, but I absolutely get what you're saying.

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I think Enterprise was going to get into the making of the Federation (and the war with the Romulans that lead to it), but the series was cancelled before they could get into it.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, but the MACOs and other proto-Federation folks were pretty rah-rah as well... they obviously went away in later series, but it makes sense it can engender feelings like that if it's gone away.

K2771991 and Juliet316 like this.
  6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's not even that it's gone away- it's also a thousand years older. A flag with 200 years of service and ideals behind it is going to be less revered than one that has stood the test of a millennium while upholding those ideals (minus the occasional incident or two ;)). You kinda need that for there to be multi-generational "true believers".

7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  8. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    I compiled a list for all the things i found, hinting at the Pah Wraiths being behind the burn and
    Cleveland Booker being one of them

-The dilithium being red in the opening credits.

-The wormhole (also in the opening credits) and the mentioning of the nearest one by Booker, whose face began to glow a bit like Dukat's under their influence, when he used his powers.

- Book describing his family as hunters and murderers

-The prophecy in DS9 about a golden age for Bajor lasting for a millennium.

-Dukat talking about the Pah Wraiths *burning* across the alpha quadrant.

-The connection of the Prophets and Pah Wraiths to time and their perception of it, which might be relevant to the outcome of the temporal (cold) war.

-The possible return of Dax

-The bajoranlike looking new combadges.

-Season 2 starting its arc with the first appearance of the Red Angel, while the first episode of Season 3 introduced Booker.

-The name of the cat being Grudge
    By the way, i'm not sure if Grudge's supposed to be a real cat or something else...

K2771991 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  9. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    I mean, we already know that the Federation (or at least Starfleet) get all weird about the American flag*, and that flag would'nt even be as old at that point.

*maybe that was just a Kirk thing though - after all, he's an American citizen (or presumably is, unless the United States collopsed or something )

[​IMG]
    :p

I did'nt like that character. He talked too much:D.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  10. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    David Ajala about Book's special abbilities:

"We will learn more as the season goes on. He definitely does have an ability and there are some significant moments, in really intimate moments… What’s really interesting about Book’s ability and powers is when his forehead glows and a moment occurs, Michael Burnham is always there to witness it."

https://trekmovie.com/2020/10/16/wa...p-and-david-ajala-talks-books-special-powers/

Seems like it's very important for Season 3...

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Season 3's post production was done at home.

A new piece at Indiewire has gone into how the series has adapted for the COVID-19 times. Filming on the new season wrapped at the end of February this year, just a few weeks before the pandemic shut down production everywhere.

That meant that a huge chunk of the post production had to be done from home, something that was difficult at first but those involved have since adapted. Producer Alex Kurtzman said during a recent Zoom interview:

Our editors, miraculously and heroically, took their editing bays into their living rooms. And we cut the entire season, in collaboration, just the way I’m talking to you right now. We also scored the entire season, mixed the entire season, color timed the entire season, all from this laptop.”​

Things went much further though. The series boasts a full orchestral score and series composer Jeff Russo apparently sent microphones to each of the orchestra members homes to record their individual parts so they could all be mixed together later on as if playing in unison.

Then there were certain VFX shots that needed actors to appear in them, so those actors were sent motion-capture equipment to finish elements of their performance at home:

“It’s an actual actor at their home motion-capture studio, which then gets rendered in the computer as a living thing. It’s a real person…Each of our actors have been scanned, so we can actually impose their faces on a body, which is quite something.”​

Post-production work on the third season is still ongoing, but for the most part those involved are gearing up to start shooting a fourth season with the cast recently traveling to Toronto to begin their quarantine before production starts. Shooting will take place with full COVID safety protocols in place.

12. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I wonder if this will be noticeable in the last couple of episodes of the season. Episode 1 looked and sounded great but it would be the least likely to be affected.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    Juliet316 likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Episode 2

That was a fun episode- more Go Team Science moments, Saru with a great speech, the "(sorry)" moment, the snarky crank wars between Stamets and Reno, and a fun transporter take on the western saloon. I hope Detmer is ok! The discussion over the application to the Prime Directive despite them being from the past was also interesting.

I was also surprised, but happy, to see that they didn't stretch out "the search for Discovery" for multiple episodes (or even the whole season), as I had initially feared. Though I hope we get some flashbacks to the skipped year.

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I also hope Detmer's okay. Maybe travelling through time messed with her cybernetics? Hopefully she didn't bring a bit of Control through time with her.

Saru's going to be an amazing captain, isn't he? His discussion with Tilly and the way he handled Georgiou was great. Looks like he took a lot of tips from Pike.

Speaking of Tilly, I liked how she was quick enough to realise how valuable dilithium was in their negotiations with the miners. Hopefully we'll see them again. It was disappointing that they killed off the supportive brother, but the other one seemed to be won round by the end. I definitely think we'll see the villain again. His voice sounded very familiar, but I can't see anything on his IMDB. Any ideas? Sounds like a character from a video game maybe.

I'm also glad that they were reunited with Burnham at the end of the episode. Drawing out their reunion would've been really tedious. I'm excited to see what Earth is like next week. Hopefully we'll get an info dump on some of the thing we missed in the years between the late 24th century and the 32nd. Discovery will hopefully get a refit of some description as well.

15. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Excellent second episode, better than the first one. :)

But there's no way Michael's hair would have grown that much in just a year. :p

16. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Maybe they have "folicle stimulators" in the 32nd century.

Or extensions.

anakincol and Mar17swgirl like this.
  17. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    You gotta look at this from a more meta perspective. What is nuTrek about? Discovery, Picard, etc. It's about destroying everything that we love about Star Trek. Everything you thought was good is actually bad. This utopian society? They're actually racist against romulans! A real, values based foreign policy? Actually they're just like Space America. Sure, you've cured hunger but guess what 30 years after TNG it turns out that the racism inherent to humanity never went anywhere! The Burn is going to be one thing: federation science gone too far. They did it to themselves! Science is actually bad.

When you want to make predictions in Picard and Discovery, think about what you hold close to your heart about Star Trek, and then picture the opposite.

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Ben like this.
  18. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I enjoyed the first two episodes, but it's pretty much Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda.

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So a couple of things on Detmer...
    1) I think they're most likely just going to go with PTSD / survivor's guilt since she's been through a lot over the last couple of years.

2) I really do not think they're going back to the Control well; it just doesn't seem likely given the series reboots basically every season at this point. Though, do recall -- the ancient beings consciousness is still stored on Discovery...

3) We don't know why time travel tech was outlawed, and the fact that it's so easily recognizable in the future ("weird wave signatures and high-burst gamma rays...") likely means it was for a reason and possibly not the Temporal Cold War or Temporal Wars, but because it has an adverse effect on technology -- could be this.

4) Lastly, inb4 Darth Caliban -- she went through a wormhole, it's a pah wraith corrupting her slower because she's got the implant! :p

The2ndQuest and Darth Caliban like this.
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm going to lean towards PTSD. Maybe 10% chance of Pah-Wraith ;) :p

K2771991 and dp4m like this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Episode 3- damn, this show has been killing it on the emotional level. I think each of the last 6 or so episodes of the show has gotten me all teary-eyed at some point.

Captain Saru! Detmer seems ok! Empress mother-interrogating the prospective boyfriend was also pretty great.

Interesting setup with the Federation going somewhere else to protect Earth through its absence. The resolution of the dispute was also very classic Trek. I like that, realistically, DIS couldn't take more than a single hit from 32nd century defense platform weaponry.

Also a nice glimpse of Burn-era Starfleet ships. You can see some dtail influences of (or, rather, perhaps, predecessors/off-shoots from) the Universe and Conga classes, but on a more common scale. The ring ships were also mighty curious. And some of them really reminded me of the Springfield-class.

EDIT- pics from Twitter, via Jorg Hillebrand:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    with Type 3 being the previously-seen wreckage:
    [​IMG]

Looks like it's definitely a mix of races- clearly Starfleet ones with the nacelles, but also what looks like Romulan, possibly also a Vulcan style and what others are saying remind them one of the Xindi ship types (haven't watched ENT S3 yet so I can't add any input yet).

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  22. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    I dunno, you should see what my hair looks like now after a year of Covid and a single haircut...:p

The Federation and the Romulans never trusted each other and they've been enemies for centuries, and just becuase Picard was willing to put aside that distrust and help them does'nt mean everyone else would. Not sure why you think racism (which did exist in the TNG era shows, including TNG itself) had anything to do with it though, as opposed to just distrust.

And that would be bad...why?

Remember, we're living on a planet were peaple are stuck at the hip to oil and coal despite a rapidly depleating natural gas supplies and literally destroying our climate with plenty of peaple unfazed at all by the endgame of that. What it sounds like your describing sounds less like "science is bad" and more like "topical analogy for the energy crisis" (remember, dilithium is fuel and a natural resource) - in fact, it seems like a very real possibility that this is the route their going, given Burnham's narration about the leadup to the whole things.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked the way it was handled in the Last Best Hope book - the Federation did spend years helping the Romulans evacuate, and it was only a combination of factors, including the disaster on Mars, that resulted in all the help finally stopping, after a lot of good had already been done.

Juliet316 and K2771991 like this.
  24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Type 5 looks a bit like the Minbari ships from B5.

K2771991 and The2ndQuest like this.
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If I had to take a wild guess (and, obviously, most of these could be totally new species, but assuming these are evolutions of existing races):

Type 1: Vulcan (since their ships tended to be ring-based)
    Type 2: Romulan (looks like a vertical slice of a D'deridex)
    Type 3: Starfleet (obviously)
    Type 4: Xindi-Aquatic (though there are some vague Congo-class aspects there)
    Type 5: Kazon (has that long front toothy look)
    Type 6: Federation (the lights remind me of the deflector grille of the new Picard-era ships, as well as the Section 31 ships from last season)
    Type 7: Federation (seemingly a saucer, with a single or very long nacelles centered)
    Type 8: Unsure, kinda reminds me of the Saber-class
    Type x: DAMMIT JANEWAY!
    Type y: Probably Federation also

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    Darth Caliban, K2771991 and Juliet316 like this.