main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.01 - Chapter 9 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Oct 29, 2020.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Nov 13, 2020.
  1. 10

21.5%
  2. 9

31.9%
  3. 8

32.6%
  4. 7

10.4%
  5. 6

1.5%
  6. 5

1.5%
  7. 4

0.7%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I normally really dislike full screen. But in this case, I think Favreau did it a) because it was intended for a special IMAX release and b) to be able to include the full height of the mountains in the background. You’ll notice that the height of the frame lets him show off the scale better by allowing us to see the peaks of the mountains behind the actors and dragon. In a number of wide shots, that looked incredible. But I liked it less in close-ups, when the aspect ratio made it all look like, well, 80s and 90s TV. I’m all for a bit of a retro vibe, but not in that way.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  2. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    That reminds me of a Finding Nemo supplement I watched years ago. For the full-screen DVD, instead of doing a conventional pan-and-scan of the OAR widescreen, they actually added visual content above and below the original widescreen content. They didn't do this throughout the fullscreen edition, though. Sometimes, they even moved content from the sides more toward the center, so that when the sides were cropped, certain content or characters were not chopped.
    Reframing techniques were applied to the home versions of the earlier Pixar films, in varying degrees.
    https://pixar.fandom.com/wiki/Reframing

And slightly off-topic with this thread...... the film with the most intersting aspect ratios, in my opinion, is I Am Not Madame Bovary..... circular and square.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, 16:9 is better for showing off tall things (see Jurassic Park, which has a 1.85:1 aspect ratio instead of the more "blockbuster-y" 2.35:1, to show off the dinos), so it served its purpose well enough. My problem with it is that it's distracting. When the aspect ratio changes mid-scene I'm immediately made aware of the intent of the filmmaker. It takes me out of the story. That works fine for something like The Grand Budapest Hotel, as Wes Anderson is a director who constantly reminds the audience that it's a movie, but in The Mandalorian it didn't work, IMO.

I bet it would've looked fantastic in IMAX though. And even though I didn't particularly care for it, I applaud them for experimenting with what can be done in visual Star Wars storytelling.

BigAl6ft6, Bor Mullet and RetropME like this.
  4. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    I thought the episode was okay. I’m not thrilled about Fett being alive. maybe favreau and filoni will change my opinion later, we’ll see.

this is a minor nitpick, but I was a little annoyed that they made three references to womprats in one episode. Doesn’t tattooine have any other wildlife? Every time they mentioned womprats, it felt like someone was turning to the camera and screaming “do you remember womprats??!!! Remember that thing Luke said in Star Wars??”

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I mean, Tatooine is mostly (entirely?) desert. There probably aren't that many large animals native to the planet.

LedReader, BigAl6ft6 and DurararaFTW like this.
  6. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    I'm still trying to figure out why banthas have heavy fur.

DurararaFTW likes this.
  7. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    Camels have fur. Granted, not as heavy as the Bantha, but it does have a function regarding sweat as far as I've gathered. It also protects from the scorching sun.

DarthRamRod and TadoFett like this.
  8. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I just finished rewatching this episode, and wow. I still can't get over having such great special effects in a TV show, and having it be Star Wars to boot! I mainly wanted to rewatch for the aspect ratio change, but I didn't really notice it, since my room is dark. I guess that's why I didn't notice it the first time. I was 'meh' on the idea of Boba Fett returning, but I have no doubt that our boys Favreau and Filoni have good intentions bringing him back.

9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    And Bactrian camels have very heavy fur - even the ones who spend a lot of time in the desert. Also...deserts can get very cold. Maybe Tatooine has significant seasonal changes.

10. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Did you watch the Mandalorian Gallery series? If not I recommend it..... it shows that the Mandalorian is in very good hands .

TheYodaPagoda and TadoFett like this.
  11. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    Good point.

TheYodaPagoda and Bor Mullet like this.
  12. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    No but Jawas aren't native as they and there Sand Crawlers can apparently travel to other Desert planets that aren't Tatoonie [face_mischief]:-B

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  13. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Uh... OK?

14. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    We have known about the Jawas since Clone Wars, when we see them at Florum with Hondo.

15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    By that interesting logic, if you were born somewhere, and you travel to somewhere other than where you were born, you are rendered no longer native to the place you were born...

LedReader and TCF-1138 like this.
  16. Rancor Keeper

Rancor Keeper Jedi Master star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    Those particualr Gamorreans were girls. I guess they run a bit skinnier. John Leguizamo's character referred to them as "she" or "her", I forget which now, but it was something that made me laugh when I was watching.

LedReader likes this.
  17. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Ah ok I didn't notice that.

18. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    In my head canon they had a women's match because of Sasha Banks bringing the Women's Evolution to the Star Wars Universe.

I guess them being women explains the skinny size but the comics have had a female gammorean that's fat like the dudes but has hair.

19. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    No, he says "Kill him! Finish him!".

Bor Mullet likes this.
  20. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    Maybe it was one boy and one girl because I very clearly remember the use of the female pronoun that @Rancor Keeper is referring to. It caught me off (Gamorrean[face_tee_hee]) guard while I was watching as blood sports are stereotypically a masculine occupation.

21. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I just checked, he says "him" - the closed captions confirm it. "Finish him" is pronounced a bit strangely though, so it sounds like "hem" rather than "him".

Bor Mullet likes this.
  22. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Perhaps he said 'Finish Herm'? Herm(an) being the name of the skinny pig guy.

23. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    The larger an animal gets, the more easily they can retain heat (part of allometry and the cube square law. If you wanna really need out about it and how it relates to paleontology, this is a fun read: http://markwitton-com.blogspot.com/2019/10/megafuzz-under-microscope-how-credible.html?m=1 ). It’s why large mammals like elephants and rhinos tend not to have lots of fur unless they are in Ice Age conditions. Otherwise they’d overheat. Bactrians shed their winter coat. Something like a bantha would overheat in real life warm desert conditions. But Star Wars is rule of cool and Banthas look awesome so who cares anyways

DarthRamRod likes this.
  24. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    Well I guess I'll take your word for it, as just looking at them again they do appear to be male, but at least someone else heard what I did so I must not be completely crazy.

25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    And perhaps Banthas shed their fur in the summer...

Now you’ve gone and done it. If we don’t see a nude bantha next time, I’m gonna be disappointed.

DarthRamRod and TCF-1138 like this.